• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Wage Day Advance cleaned out my bank account on Xmas Day! Help please! **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I had a repayment plan set up with Wage Day Advance. I agreed to pay £50.00 per month which i have been doing. I paid £50.00 on the 27.9.10. and 2/11/10. I was due to pay another £50.00 this month.

I was late with the payment but i had kept in touch with WDA by phone and e mail.

On Xmas Eve they rang me to collect the £50.00 payment. I was stuck in traffic trying to get to the bank to pay the money in to pay the £50.00. The guy on the phone said they were closing at 5pm. and would not be available until th 29th. I said if i didn't make it by 5pm, i'd call first thing on the 29th (after bank holiday). He did sy he couldn't 'hold the account' but when i said, worst way, i'd pay on the 29th, he said OK.

On Xmas day £425.00 was taken from my account! Which was nearly all of which was in there. I have learnt today that it was WDA who took it. I've spoken to a very arrogant woman in their offices today who told me with great glee that the repayemne plan was a 'goodwill' gesture and they can change their minds on that at any time. I said that i had not authorised this payment and she said that in their terms and conditions, they hold bank details and can access bank accounts and take money when they want.

Further to this, i was told in September that the ineterest had been frozen and at that time im owed £437.00. I have paid £100.00 off that blance since then and they still took £425.00.

The woman on the phone today said that the interest was never agreed to be frozen, which is an out and out lie.

My bank can't help. They say it's not fraud because i know them. The only thing they say i can do is write to the visa dispute dept who can request a refund from WDA. The woman in WDA's office said i've got no chance of getting the money back and said with great enjoyment that they were fortunate to find £425.00 in my account.

Great news fr her, but for me a Xmas with no money and no money in my account to pay a couple of bills due out now!

What can i do???

I wish i'd never got involved with pay day loans - i was desperate at the time but, my God, i'm so angry with the situation.

Please, can anyone advise as to the true legal position i'm in here?

thank you all

Did they confirm the repayment plan or agree to freeze the interest in writing??

They can not change their minds over an agreed repayment plan i'm sure given the recent ruling about these companies dipping into peoples account without authorisation the OFT would have something to say about this.

Your problem may be if the repayment plan was in arrears, they could deem it to be broken and the full balance then becomes due along with any additional costs.

Get onto the OFT they have reminded several companies of their obligations NOT to empty bank accounts.

You need to go to the police and get a crime number and then get back to your bank to return the funds pronto. Get your local MP involved as well.

Hi,

I've checked back through e mails etc. I couldn't find anything in writing about the interest being frozen, but i did most of my dealings with Wage Day Advance via the phone. It was agreed (certainly verbally during a phone call) that all interest charges would be ceased if i paid £50.00 per month.

I am late with the payment, however, i have copies of e mails sent with regard to this month's payment being late. They had accepted the late payment. It all changed, suddenly, on Xmas Eve. I arranged to pay £50.00 - WDA office was closing at 5 because of Xmas, i was stuck in traffic jams. The last converstaion i had was i said i'd call back on Wednesday 29th first thing in the morning to pay the £50.00. To my shock, £425.00 was taken on Xmas day, of all days.

My bank say there's nothing they can do because the payment is still pending and they can't see who has taken the money. I know it's Wage Day Advance because i've spoken to them.

The biggest wind up of a conversation i've ever had! Some cocky woman gleefully telling me that there was no agreement to freeze interest (a lie). Let's face it there would be hardly any logic in paying them £50.00 a month to reduce the £437.00 debt if interest of that amount was being added every month.

I agreed to pay the £50.00 a month on condition the interest was frozen.

I just don't see how this is legal. I spoke to the guy in their office on Xmas Eve pm. (the lady i spoke to today assures me he's not a liar)! The payment of £425.00 must have been taken Xmas Eve, i assume, because who would be working Xmas Day? The bank say it was the 25th that the withdrawel was made.

The bank say they can't do anything until the payment has finalised and then they can see who it is. I've told them who it is! Then they say i'll have to take it up with the bank visa debit dispute people.

These pay day loan companies have no morals. They will lie and cheat and then laugh at you when they've had you right over.

When i was talking to the woman at Wage Day Advance this morning, I said to her that i had not authorised this payment. That i wasn't warned or told that this was going to happen and that i was reporting it to the bank as fraud etc.

She was very confident and emphatic that this is in their terms and conditions. They've committed no crime whatsoever. She very arrogantly advised me to 'waste my time' by going to the bank, the police, whoever i want...........they have acted within their rights.

I don't know what to do, where to start with this.

If i didn't need the money and know that they have taken far more than i owed, i'd walk away before i wind myself up into a total angry frenzy here.

They could set up an automatic payment run to withdraw funds on any day of the year. without confirmation in writing over the interest freeze its your word against thiers.

If you have emailed correspondance confirming they agreed to your late payment then thats the road to go down. Send them a copy with a request for immediate return of the extra £375 they took in error, make sure you copy in the OFT get them involved ASAP as they have made it clear no company can just dip into your account if you have a repayment plan set up.

I have just been in touch with OFT.

They were very sympathetic but nothing they can do!

They have advised me to get a copy of the Terms and Conditions. If these state that Wage Day Advance can take full amount plus interest and additional charges etc then that is that.

They advised me to contact them again and also they said the more people that contact them regarding WDA the better because all complaints etc are filed and it's not good for them to have complaints.

I don't see contacting the police is a sensible route. Surely, this is a civil matter?

No fraud, as such, has taken place.

I'll write to Wage Day Advance - any ideas on a template letter to e mail/post to them?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

my bank (visa debit disputes) have returned the money that Wage day advance took from my account. Good news in a way. But they have said that they are investigating matters with WDA and if they were within their rights to take the money, then the bank will take it back again.

I suppose WDA will say that the terms and conditions allowed them to do this. I've sent e mails to WDA - no repiles, nothing.

Any ideas what i can write to my bank? It's not the money, as such, anymore for me. It's the principle and the fact that i had an agreement with them to have interest/charges frozen and they took more than i owed because they denied we had this agreement.

I want to write to my bank asap, any advice would be greatly received.

thanks

Fireflyer

Do you have any other accounts you could use. Just because WDA are such devious swines that I dont want to see them clearing your account again. If you had another account at least you will be safe in the knowledge that they have no access to your money

Hi,

thanks for your advice. I don't have any other accounts but i will look into opening a new one, if i can.

The thing is really, if WDA win the day, i'll owe the money back to the bank (in full) anyway. So, i'm just going to cause grief with the bank if i don't return the money to them. I'll be chased and threatened by them next!

I was wondering if there is any response i can send to the bank in writing to cement my case against WDA? OFT rules etc? Put pressure on the bank to in turn pressure WDA. They are a dishonest, devious bunch of people to deal with but the bank might have some clout against them?

Ty

Fireflyer

Go onto the OFT website and there is a press release you can send to all parties which states they are interested in companies who misuse direct debits, Safeloans was the company involved here, underr the PaydayUK banner (and they have just been bought out by Gothia)....

Rub their noses in it.

Hi

thanks for your time and advice.

I have spoken to my bank (visa debit disputes) - they have asked for a voucher from WDA - they sent this on the 4th Jan - they've not recieved anything back yet.

I have printed the press release on OFT web site and have posted a copy to my bank and WDA. Also enclosed the two e mails that i sent to WDA which have never been acknowledged.

I will take every measure i can to slap these ***holes back round their faces.

thanks again for your advice

Fireflyer

Edited by fireflyer

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi,

Ive just been reading through all these comments due to WDA cleaning out your account... Im really sorry to hear that this has happened, unfortunatly im not going to be much help for you to sort the situation out as i am in a similar boat... :-x

I have been with WDA for a little while as i needed some help it getting rid of some bills which is now done. But now i'm stuck with WDA taking 700 from my account every month and forcing me to re loan all over again...

I rang them today and asked if there was a way of me slowly coming out of the loan so i didn't owe them any money any more and they automatically started accusing me of not being able to make my payments each month and cancelled the application ide filled out for this month, so now i have 16pounds for the next 4 weeks :sad:

The man and woman i spoke to at WDA advance had no sympathy for me at all... i explained that it wasn't the case i couldn't afford it because i can, i just wanted advise and help from them to know how to get back out of the loan, so as an example... i see you were paying 50 pound a month? they told me they did not offer payment plans at all, so they took their 700pounds and left me with nothing...

After threatening them with legal proceeding, after they gave false advertised they could help if you were having trouble making payments or if you needed any help or advise and also of frauding people into thinking they will be looked after, when their not as all WDA advance want is their interest!!! The woman spoke to her supervisor and agreed to give me a small loan which still does not cover my travel to work or food...

So i was wondering if you would be able to let me in on how you got them to set up a payment plan?

Also i don't know if it helps but when they offered me my 'small' loan today she did say something about me not having to pay the interest next month until after december..? is this what they told you in relation to 'freezing your interest', if so your not the only one who has been offered this option, i declined the offer.

WDAtwits

• 1 year later...

hi i was reading through the comments on this page and decided to have A look at the terms and conditions on wda they have 2 terms and conditions one of them is based on there web page the other is for the loan and knowere does it state they can empty your bank account or dip into it at any given time it clearly states that they can only gain accsess to your account by the due dates you have set up with them so for them to say its in there rights is a blaint lie

• 2 weeks later...

It's stories like this that have put stop to me even trying to pay them.

I charge back whenever they take money and will happily see the cockroaches in court rather than let them take what they don't deserve. Absolute wastes of space.