• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Guitar Lady Vs Egg & Apex - now global for cabot

guitarlady
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2012 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bit confused. Do I stop monthly payments to Egg immediately or do I have to wait until Egg say it's ok? I don't want to put in the exact amount in case someone at Barclaycard (or Apex) can identify me - but I've been upping it when I can. It's been over £50 a month for quite a while now - split between an Egg loan and an Egg credit card.

These are monthly (voluntary) payments to Egg - I have not received any communication from them in a few years. I recently sent a recorded delivery query to Egg regarding Apex who contacted me out of the blue to claim they have bought any financial liability I had to Egg.

Egg have not told me to stop paying them.

I thought that once an account was IN DISPUTE it could not be passed to a third party until the IN DISPUTE status was resolved. If they don't have a valid CCA - how else could they have the IN DISPUTE status lifted than by a Court?

Is the legal position different if Egg "sell" me on to Barclaycard rather than passing my details to a third party.

I really appreciate the help and advice.

Edited by guitarlady

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update. Going to do nothing to see what Barclaycard do. Intending to refuse to change payments to their account - and will make a F & F offer.

If I'm on their radar and they start chasing - otherwise I'm just going to keep paying Egg what I can.

Update. Apex sent their "notification of assignment" forms again. Should have come from Egg - also nothing on there that looks like Egg documents - and no proper name/contact at Egg to let me easily query this or point out the IN DISPUTE status.

Told Apex I wouldn't be making payments to them but offered an amount (that I can afford now) for Full And Final in respect of that Egg account. Will post % if they accept. Intending to stop voluntary monthly payments to Egg if they refuse. Will keep offering F & F amount - will increase it if I can. If it gets to the statute barred time I'm done with these chancers - they can take me to court. Think the clock doesn't start until I stop making payments to Egg. Surely someone at Apex will have the sense to settle long before then.

CCCS warned me about Egg and told me I've nothing to fear from a court appearance - i've been honest with everyone the whole way through this and Egg repeatedly turned down F & F offers when everyone else accepted.

• 2 months later...

Update - still getting the cycle of letters from Apex. It repeats every few months:

(1) "phone us"

(2) "we haven't received your monthly payment"

(3) "we're passing your case to our legal team"

then back to (1)

Had the legal team one multiple times - then back to (1).

The offer for just under 10% for full and final (was clear it was being offered to Egg - copied to Apex) has been ignored - that was a while ago.

I suspect the Apex position gets weaker every month. No CCA paperwork from Egg (a few years ago now) - that 10% may start looking good if I stop my standing order. Waiting for now - Barclaycard (Egg credit card passed to them) are very quiet. Will offer the money to them if they come knocking call anytime soon.

Update - absolutely nothing from Barclaycard. Still making a payment into the Egg account - I didn't change to the account requested by Barclaycard (twice).

Going to offer a Full and Final to Egg (copied to Barclaycard) if I get anything from Barclaycard that isn't just a computer generated general notice.

Just three left (Egg card, Egg loan and another card) since the financial difficulties kicked in big style back in 2007.

Today - totally calm and collected and working hard at getting up again after the knocks (and the threats) - I owe this forum and the community on here a big thank you.

• 1 month later...

Update. Generic letter received - change your payments to this accout instead. Stop paying Egg. You may incur late charges if you don't."

My position is still that the account is "In Dispute" - inadequate response to CCA request to Egg years ago.

Just waiting to see what they send next - if anything. This is the first correspondence from Barclaycard in ages. They just ignored my F & F letter (Egg copied to Barclaycard).

Egg do not exist anymore, legally purchased by BC, including debtors etc.

You must deal with BC as they say if you want resolve.

They have been fair with me and accepted payments on same basis as with Egg.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting. If Egg don't exist any more - who are my payments going to? How do you know that Egg doesn't exist? What's your basis for saying that?

Re: barclaycard being "fair" - five years ago the national press described a "culture of dishonesty" that permeates the company from top to bottom. Did you CCA Egg and find your paperwork was in order?

http://new.egg.com/visitor/0,,3_11060--View_819,00.html

Link above shows Egg still online - so ....?

OK Egg is now part of Yorkshire bank! for mortgages and the like.

As said Egg cards etc.is NOW Barclaycard!

as for being fair, they have and paid out on every claim I have made on them regarding faulty goods, even a car I bought with it.

But I never went into bebt with them so dont Know about that bit.

• 1 month later...

Update. My voluntary monthly payment (to Egg relating to an old credit card) has been returned to my account. I have continued making a monthly payment to Egg though the account is "in dispute" via a failed CCA request a number of years back.

Barclaycard have sent a few computer generated letters with the details of where I've to send my payments. I spoke to the Financial Ombudsman Service a few years ago about an "in dispute" account being passed or sold on to a third party. I was told that companies aren't supposed to do this but they do it anyway. I asked if I could trigger any legal process against an organisation that did this and was told no - basically anyone can write and ask me to pay them money.

Next move Barclaycard I suppose. I'll post back if they contact me. Hoping to offer a full and final worded so they are acting for Egg. Still concerned that any payment to Barclaycard may look like I somehow acknowledge a debt to them (when it's with Egg and in dispute).

• 2 months later...

Update. Single threatening letter from Barclaycard. Usual stuff - Mercers will be in contact and will issue a blah blah blah ... nothing from Mercers.

Sent response recorded delivery asking for clarification - they've booted me straight to RMA. That was quick.

Waiting to see what they do. Ignoring the calls from their 0177 number and sent a letter asking for written correspondence only.

RMA have said in their letter that Barclaycard will not accept any correspondence from me.

Update.

Nothing new. Weekly letters from Apex since last post in may. Same old, same old.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Letter sent recorded delivery to RMA. Letter back to say they're investigating (not sure what exactly they're looking into).

Letter arrived from Moorcroft. Phone calls have started - ignoring them. I'll give them a few days then send them the written correspondence only letter.

Update. Same cycle of weekly letters from Apex. Going to wait a few months then try a Full and Final offer provided they can show paperwork - going to reduce my Egg payment to £1/month. Egg are ignoring my letters asking why it's been sold on when in dispute.

you would think they would get the message by now

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 5 years later...

Hello

GDPR

I've a letter form Global Debt Rocovery Ltd.

They've written:

"Client Cabot (Egg Banking Plc)"

and given an account number?

I've consistently told Cabot I've no relationship with them.

If Egg want to get in contact, fine, but anything will be from a decade ago (maybe more).

Do Egg even exist as a company any more?

Years ago I told Cabot to tell Egg to get in touch if they wanted to discuss something with me.

They don't respond in any meaningful way (Cabot), they're impossible to deal with

- it's computer generated stuff.

I wrote to Egg years ago when Cabot first got in contact and they just ignored me.

This new company - can I go for them under GDPR? I've never given them permission to process my data.

If so, could I do the same to Cabot?

Thanks in advance.

GuitarLady

global are cabot

if cabot have it then its been sold

nothing to do with egg anymore

have you moved since you took this out and have not informed egg/cabot of your new address

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

three threads on same debt merged and tidied.

when was you last payment to anyone?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello and thanks for moving the thread.

I cannot remember when the last payment was made - it was years ago and it will have been to Egg (and it will have been a token payment). Egg refused a full and final settlement offer (maybe twice) and I did a CCA request.

It's absolutely ages ago but I do remember they missed the deadlline and when I wrote again to tell them the account was now in dispute, they told me on the phone - not in writing - that they didn't have the documentation required and asked what I was planning to do. I said I'd continue making a token payment but that it would stop if they passed the account out to a third party. They said that wouldn't happen - I asked them to confirm this in writing - they never did.

A while after this - they passed it out to some DCA - possibly APEX, I'd need to hunt out my old files. I remember sending "signed for" letters pointing out to both the DCA and Egg that they couldn't do this. Egg never responded. The DCA said they weren't aware of any dispute.

I phoned the ombudsman and who agreed that Egg shouldn't have passed it out but said it happens all the time and there was very little that could be done. It's years ago - there was never any more contact from Egg despite me writing and it's just been a series of computer generated letters from DCAs ever since. I was hoping I could do something with the new GDPR stuff.

Thanks again for looking at this.

Guitarlady

pers id just go ring egg and ask last payment date simples

and they

Two things

- firstly, who would I contact?

The Egg I dealt with no longer exists.

I've been online before trying to figure out who to contact.

Barclaycard seem to have acquired Egg credit cards and Yorkshire (?) the banking arm.

PPI claims are to some subsection of Citibank with an address in Canada Square.

An important thing here is the "in dispute status"

- they cannot pass the account out or sell it on.

If they ceased to exist as an organisation and they can't pass out an In Dispute account

- who do I contact.

If I contact someone other than the OC is this not in some way going along with recognising their decision to pass an In Dispute account to a third party?

The second thing - if I query the account in the wrong way, I thought it resets the clock (6 years, maybe 5 in Scotland)?

I'll hunt out my notes from storage and see if I've the date of the last token payment. I let it run until it was returned. I never changed the payment to the account that the first DCA requested.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/S/sampleletters/Pages/Time-has-run-out-to-recover-the-debt-(sole-name).aspx

I've put a link above - if it's more than 5 years since the last token payment to Egg, is this a suitable letter to send to Cabot / Global Recovery (who have been sending letters) or do I send this one to Citibank?

Guitarlady

just go ring EGG and ask

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?92617-EGG-Contact-Addresses-PLEASE-NOTE-UPDATED-INFORMATION(1-Viewing)-nbsp&p=4468182#post4468182

harking on about old guidelines that were only guidelines 6yrs ago or so is irrelevant ..they were never adhered too and didn't have to be, sadly that's from a day when people thought they had a stick to beat DCA's/OC's with, which in all aspects was false.

going by post 36 23/08/2012 your payments wee being returned

so if you are in Scotland and were resident in Scotland when you took this out its now extinguished.

go send cabot [as apex/global are part of the cabot group] our Scottish SB letter from the DCA section of our library

and they

Update: The Canada Square phone number - they don't take calls - you've to write. The automated options presented appear to be focussed on claims and PPI complaints. I held on and spoke to a general operator and now have the info for making an Egg query.

I apologise for asking this again,

but are you absolutely sure that me writing to them,

with an account number to find out when the last payment was made,

will not start the 5 year clock going again.

I was making two different token payments -one for a card, one for a loan.

This is the loan one.

The card token payment was returned first (my bank phoned).

The loan one continued to go through for a time after that.

It may not quite be 5 years.

Guitarlady

Well send them an sar

It cant reset anything

Its a legal request

And anyway its been sold

and they