• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Me Vs RBOS - The ball is rolling **WON**

weej
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Careless, I know, but I have absolutely no idea how much my bank has taken in charges in the past 5 or 6 years (which is it? I live in Scotland).

Will they send you details if you simply call/ email or should I go into writing for this also?. If in writing, is there a template available requesting a detailed breakdown?

ps....it would be handy if they would either email or burn details on a CD in a spreadsheet as my charges will be too frequent to type!!!

Many many thanks for your advice.

JB

:-?

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

17/11 claim #2 started - incl creditcard

30/11 - CC statements received

31/11 - Prelims issued - RBS paying up, only M/C to go)

If any of my advice/ info has been helpful, please click the scales:D

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome,

Sounds like you haven't read the FAQ's yet. Start by reading them here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

The letter templates you’ll need are here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

And guidance notes are here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/

Finally start a thread in the bank forum relevant to you. That way you can keep a timeline of your progress and receive help and support where needed.

Best of luck with your claim.

Lloyds TSB - £972

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 20/07/06***

Woolwich - £2288

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent.

Offered half

Moneyclaim filed online 02/08/06

Judgement filed online 23/08/06

WARRANT FILED ONLINE 30/08/06

MONEY RECEIVED BY BALIFF 04/10/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 09/10/06***

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 07/07/06***

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I am hearing conflicting information about the system in Scotland...

Is the qualifying period 5 or 6 years?

and

Does the small claims court have a limit of £1000? If so, I'm not sure what to do as I reckon my claim could be around £3K

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

Thanks for the pointers to the relevant templates guys. Have now sent the letter to the bank asking for details of charges.

This is all new to me (the whole forum thing) so thanks also for your patience

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

OK, so after reading and getting advice from other forum members, I went into the bank yesterday and handed over the DP form requesting full details of charges over the past 5 years. They are charging me £20 as I have 2 accounts...Is that right? They will debit the amount from ny account.

This morning, a letter arrived (1st class) which was partially hand-written, not dated and did not have a post office frank over the top of the envelope. The letter said they wrote to me to arrange a banking "review" recently as they feel it could have been of great benefit to me...etc...etc. If I would like to make an appointment please call. The thing is, I never received that letter in the first place.

Just a coincidence???? Has anyone else received this?

I'm not sure whether to:

a) make an appointment

b) write saying that I will do a review once current "enquiries" are resolved

c) Ignore it

Any advice will be great.

:confused:

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

Yeh they must only charge you £10 as it is a personal "subject" request you being the subject not the individual accounts. I think i have heard about this account review thing before, this is something Natwest do as well. Its up to you really but personally i feel from other threads people aren't attending these meetings as the account is in dispute and don't feel they should attend until the dispute is over and some people have written back saying that any diologue should be entered in writting and not in person.

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

Ok, so I think I'll write to RBOS thanking them for their invitation for a "review" I will however decline in the short term, pending ongoing enquiries etc etc.

Probably a good idea to do this in writing instead of calling. Must admit, cant wait to see my statements so I can calculate how much I have paid over the past 5 years. I reckon it will be scary!!!:eek:

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

Do I understand this right???

When informally asking for my money back - I ask for full amount (c£3k)

AT LBA - Seek only £750 including interest and costs

At Legal - same as LBA

or

Do I stay with the full amount for the LBA?

Thanks

JB:?

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

Maybe its just a coincidence, but just went onto digital banking and it will let me see current balances, but nothing else......no history, no transfer facility. Strange.

Also, I live in scotland and my bank (RBOS) is in Scotland. Can I still claim in England? Any advice would be great.

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

So to clarify.......I live in Scotland, my account/ branch is in Scotland. I can however send my prelim/ LBA to an english branch of RBS and claim 6 years back through money claim, using a friend/ relative's address which is in England/ Wales???? Is my understanding right?

:confused:

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

Noticed that SAR fee had not been debited from my account so called local branch to check progress. I was told that the enquiry had been forwarded to their office in Gogarburn (???). Will hopefully get a call back today.

Does anyone know the answer to my question on which courts you can use, ie English/ Scottish?

JB

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

I can see that a lot of people are looking at taking on H/BOS in England. Can we do the same with RBOS as I dont know if they have a head office in England? I know I can do the RBS C/C through the English court system.

If I can, then its woohoooo!

Just waiting for the accounts to come back from Gogarburn. Then plan is to take the claim South. Has anyone had success doing it this way?:?

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

Im not entirely sure on that one either, but I think because you live in Scotland and your bank has a registered address in Scotland you will need to claim through the Scottish courts as they have juridstiction.

The Review thing is a waste of time, they usually do it if your going overdrawn a lot or something, you go to the review and they basically try and sell you a loan.

As for your earlier questions, When writing to the bank you claim back the whole amount, giving them a list of all the charges and dates they were taken (that includes the LBA).

At the legal / court stage you will need to split your claim up into £750 chunks.

So you would file one claim for "Charges - December 2001 - March 2003" etc etc.

You'll have to file like 4 claims to cover the whole amount, but you'll get any fee's you have to pay back when your claim is settled.

01/08/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - S.A.R sent

24/08/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - Statements Received

31/08/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - 1st Request sent

13/09/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - LBA sent

23/09/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - Offer received £1544 (Thanks but no thanks)

02/10/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - *WON* Full settlement

Its now 3 weeks since I handed in my SAR at the branch. Still not a peep. Should I give them more time or send them a little "reminder" that the clock is ticking? Is anyone else getting a quicker response to RBOS SAR

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

Give them a call and ask them what the progress is.

I got mine in about 3 weeks.

01/08/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - S.A.R sent

24/08/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - Statements Received

31/08/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - 1st Request sent

13/09/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - LBA sent

23/09/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - Offer received £1544 (Thanks but no thanks)

02/10/06- Royal Bank of Scotland - *WON* Full settlement

Hi John,

As far as I'm aware, the small claims court limit in Scotland is £750. It all depends on whether you file your claim with a Scottish court or an English court. Obviously, if you live in one or the other country you will more likely than not need to file with that country's court system.

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

OK, nearly 4 weeks and no response to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request). I know they've got another 2 weeks, but I thought I would send them a little nudge.

Royal Bank of Scotland

27 September 2006

Data Protection Act 1998

Subject Access Request

Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBERS: xxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxx (sort code 83-25-45)

I handed in the above request at my local branch on Friday 1 September 2006. At that time, I gave 40 days notice to reply and, whilst that time has not yet expired, I have heard/ seen nothing. I trust that this matter is in hand and is being dealt with at the moment.

The latest date for receipt of this information is 11 October 2006 and I thought I should write a brief reminder to ensure that this matter is processed in a timely manner, and to avoid any breach of your obligations under the Data Protection Act.

I look forward to hearing from you in early course

Yours faithfully,

Me

sent to branch and Gogarburn. Ever get the feeling that this is going to be strung out as long as humanly possible?

• Confused 1

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz still nothing ( I know I am impatient). Still, while waiting I have been wondering about the interest rate and whether to go after contractual interest and notify the bank at Prelim stage:rolleyes: . I noticed one or two people getting contractual rate. Note that I am being greedy, but 20 odd % does sound tastier than 8%; no?;-)

Any advice would be loverly. Ta.

J

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

I too have been considerin the higher interest rate! Afterall if they can charge us, for example for being over our overdraft limit that they caused through charges, Why shouldn`t I have the extra contractual interest. They gave me undue stress I recieve extra interest as an apology for said stress.

Still I am not fully read up on the contractual interest situation as yet so have not formlly made a decision, but gosh it sounds like the right thing to do!!

Got the statements through this morning and will get to work with the highlighter when I get home tonight. It will be interesting to see how much has been taken off me in the last 5 years (sounds sad, but I hope its a lot! - could do with the dosh for Christmas):grin:

J

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

Not as much as I hoped for, but still just north of £2K. Hope it gets as far as court stage as I will then get about another £400!!!

Anyway, Prelim off recorded delivery today, sent to Retail Regulatory Risk division. Shame they are not based in Glasgow, as their initials would then be GRRR! (which is exactly how I feel)

Oh well, 14 more days of fun till the next deadline!

J:)

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

What address did you send your Prelim to? I have searched this site and there seems to be a few different addresses, also some people sending to thier branch???

Thanks

A

x

RBS

13/10 - Prelim sent, 19/10 - Sod Off letter recvd, 27/10 - partial offer received, 27/10 - rejection letter sent, 3/11 - SETTLED IN FULL

Cheltenham & Gloucester (ERC's)

21/11 - Prelim sent, 26/11 - sod off letter recved, 2/12 - LBA sent, 10/12 SETTLED IN FULL!!