style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In August I got a letter from a debt agency asking for council tax relating to a previous property that I left almost 6 years ago.

I followed it up and got in touch with the Council and found out that it council tax that they believe I owe from 2001-2003 . Now I left my property in August 2004. I did inform the local council of this but at that time I didnt know where I would be living .

The council say that they found the error after I left and still sent the letters to my old address.

But from October 2001 to 2008 I was either on Incapacity Benefit or Jobseekers Benefit. They know I was claiming but didnt get there admin right at the time as when you go from one benefit to another you have to reapply for Council tax benefit . And this I think I did. Please bear in mind I was suffering with a bad case of Depression and alot of things are sketchy But I know I have not been working for the period that they are asking for and therefore entitled to Council Tax Benefit.

I have gained proof that I was on Incapacity benefit but I am unable to get proof of Job seekers as 3 years ago they computer system was changed at the DWP and none of the data was transferred . They re asking for 1500 pounds . what Can I do ?

Can you get a letter from the inland revenue which would show your tax situation between 2001 and 2008? I guess that could be a start in proving to the council that you were not earning but I doubt it would be enough by itself. It may be enough to delay them before thay take anymore steps in recovering the back dated council tax.

As for the DWP data not being transferred 3 years ago, did your local jobcentre tell you that or did you get confirmation from a head office?

]

They coudn't tell you if you hadn't given them a new address, so did what the law say and served the papers on the last known address.

Find out if they have a liability order against you because if they have then the debt will 'never' go away.

When was the LO obtained? Is there more than 1 LO? Write to the Council and ask for a SAR - usual cost £10 but many Councils do them for free - if they ask specifically which info you require then answer "all".

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As for owing Council tax , I was living on my own and unemployed getting either Incapacity benefit or Jobseekers Allowance and therefore entitled to Council tax benefit > I know I applied for it and got it. It seems that they are unwilling to look into it although I have proof of Incapacity benefit but not Jobseekers as the DWP dont hold records that far back. And according to the council I had 3 months in which to appeal from the date they say they sent the letters. They say they sent the letters in the beginning of August 2004., I sold the property in August 2004 and left there on the bank holiday weekend . I do not recall any letters from the council.

Its safe to say that 6 years later I have not documents .

Now I am still unemployed renting in a furnished flat. what is the most they can do.

Why cant they see that I was entitled to the Council tax benefit and although there must have been an error on their part as to why this benefit was not applied to the account.and now added retrospectively

They can't see it because they only see what 'they' want to see and if there is money on the end then they are totally blind. and uncaring.

Were your jobseekers cheques cashed at the Post Office or a Bank. If a bank then they would probably still have records, not sure about the Post Office.

I think I would do as ploddertom says and send the council a Subject Access Request and enclose a £10 payment. Not only will it be extra work for them but they are obliged to send you everything they have on you and copies of all the paperwork as well, and they only have a limited time in which to do it.

As for common sense - it's the council your talking about.

As you think that an error in your benefits has caused this debt then it's probably a good idea to contact the benefits dept. The council tax dept could probably only tell you the dates your CTB was stopped/suspended whereas benefits should be able to give you more info, including why. The council tax dept don't deal with, or have any control over what benefit you are awarded, which is why they can't just add it on.