Retailer trying variety of tricks to deny statutory rights.

stepurhan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a second-hand laptop at the start of June. We were told at the time that they couldn't guarantee the battery and accepted that (but only verbally, nothing in writing) Initially we didn't need to use the laptop anywhere but at home and so had no reason to use battery power. At the beginning of last month we tried using it on battery power and it didn't work (no charge in the battery at all) We then ordered a battery from the same place. They didn't have it in stock and delays in obtaining it meant that we received the battery 3 months and 1 day after the laptop purchase. This battery also does not charge. This battery has charged in another laptop so the laptop is at fault. It seems likely to me it was actually at fault from the start.

I have gone back to the retailer and they have given me the following reasons for not giving a refund.

• The receipt incorporates a 3 month warranty (literally the words "3 month warranty excluding battery" with no further detail) and I am outside this warranty.
  • That by accepting a receipt with the 3 month warranty on it I have given up my rights to the six month window withn the Sale of Goods Act.
  • That the laptops of this make (RM) were sold as "mains only" due to known battery issues. There was allegedly a sign in the window with the laptops in question. I did not see any such sign when I purchased the machine. I retain both the original details card and the receipt (which includes the same specs as the detail card) and neither mention "mains only"
  • That, with reference to the above, the battery I bought was not bought from him but was bought via an engineer who operates a separate business from within the same premises (i.e.implying he wouldn't have sold it to me given the "mains only" issue above). I have found some evidence that the engineer is a separate business (separate business cards). However, the battery was purchased over the counter within the shop. Also, the engineer clearly works closely with the retail business regardless, and thus should have been aware of any power issues.
  • That I shouldn't have expected a fully functional laptop at the price paid (£125.00) The laptop is low-spec compared to modern machines and has the XP operating system on it (which Microsoft no longer sell and from which they will withdraw support in the near future)
  • When I first took it back I agreed to have their engineer confirm whether the problem was actually the new battery (he has confirmed this) On picking up the laptop today he offered to ask the engineer if the problem could be repaired. (The engineer was absent when I first raised the issue and the laptop could not be located at the time) However, he was proposing that I be charged for the repair. I reiterated the six month window of SOGA and the right to a free repair, refused the paid-for repair and took the laptop (with additional battery) back.

The research I have done indicates none of the above is acceptable and I would be grateful if others could confirm this. Howeer, I am having trouble pinning down where the statutory provision is with regards to certain points. The key one is that my statutory rights cannot be over-ridden by the warranty on the receipt (I'm sure this is correct but I can't pin down where in the legislation this is stated) Less of a concern but would be useful to know is where the burden of proof lies regarding the "mains only" issue. I'm presuming the lack of mention on my documentaton means it lies with him (and I can't see how he could prove it)

As a separate point, where do I stand on the battery? This is not faulty itself, but would not have been purchased in the first place had I known the laptop charger did not work.

You cannot give up or sign away your consumer rights even if you wanted to. If you got the queen to witness your signature to a document that said you relinquish all or some of your rights, it will not be accepted in any court.

To deny or attempt to deny or reduce a consumer their rights under consumer regulations is in fact a 'Criminal Offence'.

You should let them know that you will be reporting them to Trading Standards unless you get satisfaction. When you are satisfied, you report them to TS anyway.

Edited by Conniff
a million typos

I really wouldn't mess about with these people any more. Send them a "letter before action" by recorded post and if they do not respond take them to the small claims court.

You made them an offer to buy the computer and by accepting your money the contract was completed. The receipt is just a note confirming that they have received your money. Any terms and conditions on a receipt are of no importance as they have been added AFTER the contract has been agreed on. (Unless of course they are elsewhere in their shop on display)

• 3 weeks later...

*Easy this. Section 6 of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 states that you cannot by making reference to any contract term exclude or restrict sections 13, 14 and 15 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979. Tell all this to trading standards and let them kick ass!

*All my advice is given without prejudice.

Edited by Last Of The Time Lords

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

'real world' legal and retail experience too