exclusive leather sofas

mask8007
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well I wish I had found this forum before I purchased my sofas from this dreadful company.

My problem was actually with the delivery company that is 'alledgedly' independant of the store. I sent the following letter

I am writing to you to express my dissatisfaction in which the way my wife and I have been treated by ‘Exclusive Leather Sofas’.

The sales assistant **edit** told us in store that we would have our new sofas within ‘about a week’, now just short of 3 weeks later my wife receives a call this morning to say that the delivery service is a man short and can we postpone delivery until Monday. My wife explained that this was unacceptable due to the timescale we have already waited and due to us having no sofas having gotten rid of our old ones as planned. Thankfully the lady on the phone managed to arrange delivery as promised.

Upon arrival the delivery men were met by my wife given refreshment etc. and they bought the first sofa up the stairs, at this point my wife noticed that the dust sheet was torn and that as per my instructions rang me to inform me that all was not 100% as promised by **edit**. I spoke with **edit** at the Cannock store who was most helpful and said that it was not a problem and that a professional upholsterer would be able to come out and sort out this problem.

The real problems then begin as the delivery men attempt to get the 3 seater sofa up our stairs and into the living room to no avail, their attempts have left our freshly painted walls marked and scuffed which is totally unacceptable. They claim it was not mentioned to them that it was upstairs. My answer to this is as follows

1.**edit** was told that we live in a three storey house and that the living room was on the second floor, we were told that this was not a problem and the delivery men are trusted by yourselves.

2. I was assured by **edit** that the delivery company you use are professionals and that for our protection it is best that they are used, as if any damage is incurred then they are responsible, it was not stated whether this was damage to the sofas or to our house but we can discuss this.

3. If the living room was on the ground floor I would have no need for delivery men as my brother runs his own courier company and has several large vans that we could have loaded the sofas into and sorted this ourselves.

My wife is 5 months pregnant , and obviously quite stressed at the moment anyway, apparently when she was in a state on the telephone you in an attempt to calm her down said,

“Calm Down, calm down or you’ll die”

This of course is not satisfactory and my wife put the phone down on you, please understand that as customers paying out £2500.00 for two sofas that with these problems my wife has a right to be irate especially as we were told we were dealing with a friendly Family run business.

My wife then asked a good friend of mine to come over and help the delivery men, (these being the men that I have already paid £69.99 to). The delivery men then made a call to someone from your company and were told to remove the arms of the sofa, having done this they were able to get the sofa upstairs with no problems whatsoever, so my question to you is, why didn’t they do this before scratching my wall to pieces?

To top the whole incident off, my wife then found an inch or so square of what appears to be marked blue leather, this is such a disappointment as we once again were assured by **editI** that all sofas were meticulously checked before leaving the warehouse, and the dust sheet on the 2nd sofa had to be ripped to get the arms off the sofa.

On the delivery note it has been stated that we are only accepting these sofas on the condition that both dust sheets are repaired and that the mark on the 3 seater is removed 100% and if the leather is found to be faulty then we will want a replacement.

I personally am most annoyed that the information regarding the living room being on the second floor was not conveyed, my walls are scratched and now require repainting!, and that the sofa was sent out with this defect.

To conclude I wish to have the delivery fee fully refunded by the delivery company to cover the cost and hassle of repainting, this incident has left a very sour taste in mouths and I wish to hear your comments on this matter and how you intend to make this fiasco right.

**Edit**never called however I did get to speak with the legendary **edit** (Manageress), all the reports on this forum are true, she was unsympathetic and very unhelpful. Eventually she said she would give 50% of the delivery back (only after I had sent photographic evidence of the damaged wall). I am not happy with the outcome and would never buy anything from this company ever again!

Edited by citizenB
removed employee names

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, im at my wits end and wondered if you could shed some light on what to do.

We brought sofa in jan, two weeks ago we thought it was strange that they had not called to say that our chair had arrived. We phoned and they said that some one would call us...No Phonecall! left it a few days and went down as very local.

They said that the company who supplys them had gone out of business and we asked why they had not called us before rather than letting us wait. They asked if we would like anything out of the show room (alarm bells ringing now!!!) we had speced our chair ourselves so nothing would benefit us so we asked for our money back. They said that it would take two weeks as they have to get it signed off by .... the director and have to get the money released from accounts. Again did not believe this as we were pushed into paying full amount upfront and they took too much money off the card payment and they refunded this the next day!!!! so Why the hell cant they refund us now.

went down every day to sort out withstaff and managed to see accountant one day (husband by this time ready to kill him), he told us that ... the director would be coming in the next morning at 9.30 and he would sort out (NOT) well we thought we would go down and see this ....at 9.30 way and behold no gary apparently he had allready been in(MMMMMM) he said that our money would be in our bank next tues, Guess what no Bloody money.

My husband is ready to kick off which i have told him in the past few weeks to keep calm,,but now i dont blame him.....We are not going to get our money are we and we have a really bad feeling this company is going bust.

Oh and they are still taking orders on this chair, knowing they cant supply!!! NOT GOOD

Please can you put us in the picture with this company. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edited by dx100uk
moved to new thread

It took us two years to sort out our problem. Try Staffordshire Trading Standards - they may have recruited an extra Standards Officer by now - this company needs stopping. If you have legal cover on your household insurance try getting a solicitor involved - that's the only way we were able to get our money back. They tried to accuse us of stalling when they were stalling every step of the way. Not to be trusted and a bad bad retailer.

thanks for prompt reply, i spent most of the day on the phone and writing letters as advised.

Husband came home and wanted to make one last ditch attempt at seeing what they had to say for themselves. Went in and ...... was on his mobile phone he went out side to take the call and tried to do a runner (so funny tried not to laugh, it was like somthing off rogue traders). Husband went after him and when they came in ...... asked staff to do refund there and then!!!! So they can do it after all.

I have no idea what my husband said and i really dont want to know LOL;) but it did the trick.

Be strong and take everything they have to say with a pinch of salt.:D

Edited by dx100uk
no pers info please

• 1 month later...

We purchased a very large and expensive corner group leather sofa in early January 2010.

This was the only store we found that did quality leather sofas and offered a wide selection of choices in various styles.

We paid a deposit by insured credit card and signed up for their interest free credit.

We were told at the time of purchase by the salesman that the payment might come out of the bank before the corner group arrived.

The payments started coming out of the bank in March, but we were not worried as we had been quoted 16 week delivery which was mid-May.

By mid-May I telephoned ELS to see if the sofa was on schedule, as I was told that delivery would be the full 16 weeks. A week later I recieved a telephone call to say that our corner group had left Italy, and they would be telephoning the next week to arrange delivery. I then made the massive mistake of selling our existing furniture on E-Bay.

I waited to hear from ESL, and after a week I telephoned them, only to be told that my furniture had not left at all. I was assured that it would leave that week, but as you can guess, it never did. After several extremely heated telephone calls, ELS put two loan sofas in our lounge.

By the middle of June I was getting a bit annoyed, so I spoke to the manager of the Cannock office, who has continually blamed transport problems in Italy on me not getting my furniture ( which is complete rubish ) so I issued them with an untimatium - they had until 10th July to get my corner group in my lounge or I was cancelling the order.

She offered to send my deposit back to me, which they did very quickly. I had also spoken, and written to the finance company and informed them of the entire sitaution. I also gave them one months notice of termination against my finance agreement.

It was during this conversation that I was informed by Compass Finance that they had received a document in January, signed and confirming that we had actually taken delivery of our furniture. This is of course is the only way that the finance company will pay out against these loans, and it was obvious to me that they were doing this from the beginning. Whilst I didn't really mind when I thought there would be furniture in 16 weeks, I minded very much once they started messing me around.

My main concern was not my furniture, it was the legal finance contract we were in, so my husband and I saw a legal advisor who gave us the following advice; send recorded delivery letters to both ELS and the finance company informing them you haven't had your furniture and if necessary give them an ultimatum. Because the finance company are using ELS as agents, they are both in breach of contract the minute that take money from your bank without supplying the goods, and under the Sale of Goods consumer rights act, you can cancel the finance sighting breach of contract as the reason. You must, however give then reasonable time and notice to deliver your furniture. I was told 2 weeks was sufficient, but I gave them 1 month. They can argue the point if you have loan furniture, so refuse to accept this and ask ELS to come and collect it.

It is extremely obvious that this company has cash flow problems, but to be really honest I don't know a furniture company that doesn't. Whilst I would in no way defend them, I would say that the furniture in the store is very nice, and if you do decide to purchase from them, pay the very minimum deposit possible by insured credit card, and either arrange to pay the balance on delivery, or take out their interest free finance. Do not take out your own finance or loan, as this does not have the same legal ties as using the company directly attached to ELS.

I am supposed to be getting my sofa delivered today - watch this space!

I don't know if this is true, but I have been informed that this company goes out of business and starts up again every few years, so the five year cover on your furniture is a complete waste of money.

Edited by dx100uk
clarity

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I feel really sick with worry after reading all these comments as we have purchased an expensive 3 2 1 leather recliner settee after we visited quiet a few stores and could not see what we liked.

I am absolutely petrified of the outcome after waiting 16Weeks.

We saw the comments on the evening when we placed the order on the same Day with ..., straight away we rang our credit card to see if we could cancel they said no because we have to wait for the transaction to go through and explaining all the comments we have read over the years on here, Boy I feel really sick typing this.

My Husband is going to ring TSB on Monday and find out what chance we stand we a dispute to try and get our money back as we don't want the hassle like everyone else has gone through. (I don't mean to sound bad there), It's just I thought we would have more security on our card instead of paying interest free for 4 years, but it does not seemed that way, could someone please give some advice on protection with purchases on credit cards.

I have a feeling will would have to wait this out for the 16 Weeks or maybe more and see what the outcome is.

How can Stores get away with this, does it mean the Public have to do a lot of research on the internet to see if there are any problems with the store first before they can place a purchased without hassle or bankrupt.

Surley Trading Standards has some law to stop these People reoccurring opening Stores under another name and continuing to trade in this manner.

Edited by dx100uk
no per info please

We purchased a very large and expensive corner group leather sofa in early January 2010. This was the only store we found that did quality leather sofas and offered a wide selection of choices in various styles. We paid a deposit by insured credit card and signed up for their interest free credit. We were told at the time of purchase by the salesman that the payment might come out of the bank before the corner group arrived. The payments started coming out of the bank in March, but we were not worried as we had been quoted 16 week delivery which was mid-May. By mid-May I telephoned ELS to see if the sofa was on schedule, as I was told that delivery would be the full 16 weeks. A week later I recieved a telephone call to say that our corner group had left Italy, and they would be telephoning the next week to arrange delivery. I then made the massive mistake of selling our existing furniture on E-Bay. I waited to hear from ESL, and after a week I telephoned them, only to be told that my furniture had not left at all. I was assured that it would leave that week, but as you can guess, it never did. After several extremely heated telephone calls, ELS put two loan sofas in our lounge. By the middle of June I was getting a bit annoyed, so I spoke to the manager of the Cannock office, who has continually blamed transport problems in Italy on me not getting my furniture ( which is complete rubish ) so I issued them with an untimatium - they had until 10th July to get my corner group in my lounge or I was cancelling the order. She offered to send my deposit back to me, which they did very quickly. I had also spoken, and written to the finance company and informed them of the entire sitaution. I also gave them one months notice of termination against my finance agreement. It was during this conversation that I was informed by Compass Finance that they had received a document in January, signed and confirming that we had actually taken delivery of our furniture. This is of course is the only way that the finance company will pay out against these loans, and it was obvious to me that they were doing this from the beginning. Whilst I didn't really mind when I thought there would be furniture in 16 weeks, I minded very much once they started messing me around.

My main concern was not my furniture, it was the legal finance contract we were in, so my husband and I saw a legal advisor who gave us the following advice; send recorded delivery letters to both ELS and the finance company informing them you haven't had your furniture and if necessary give them an ultimatum. Because the finance company are using ELS as agents, they are both in breach of contract the minute that take money from your bank without supplying the goods, and under the Sale of Goods consumer rights act, you can cancel the finance sighting breach of contract as the reason. You must, however give then reasonable time and notice to deliver your furniture. I was told 2 weeks was sufficient, but I gave them 1 month. They can argue the point if you have loan furniture, so refuse to accept this and ask ELS to come and collect it.

It is extremely obvious that this company has cash flow problems, but to be really honest I don't know a furniture company that doesn't. Whilst I would in no way defend them, I would say that the furniture in the store is very nice, and if you do decide to purchase from them, pay the very minimum deposit possible by insured credit card, and either arrange to pay the balance on delivery, or take out their interest free finance. Do not take out your own finance or loan, as this does not have the same legal ties as using the company directly attached to ELS.

I am supposed to be getting my sofa delivered today - watch this space!

I don't know if this is true, but I have been informed that this company goes out of business and starts up again every few years, so the five year cover on your furniture is a complete waste of money.

Hi Could you please tell me if you have received your furniture, as I have placed an order with the Birmingham Branch and am really petrified and sick of worry Thank You.

Hi Could you please tell me if you have received your furniture, as I have placed an order with the Birmingham Branch and am really petrified and sick of worry Thank You.

Hi Kiwee

We received our corner group and we are extremely pleased with it - credit where it is due and all that. However, I am certain that if we hadn't taken the legal steps and made the threats that we did, we would still be waiting today.

These shops have really lovely sofas, and I am sure that every existing customer would agree with this, however there is a " buyer beware " warning that all customers should be aware of - the treatment that we received appears to be normal for everyone.

The only advice I would give is: 1. Pay the minimum deposit possible on an insured credit card. 2. Take the balance in interest free credit (mad not to really - it's a free loan) 3. You will only get your furniture if you scream louder than all the other screaming customers. 4. Give then a deadline date, then cancel the order - keep the finance company in the loop at all times in writing (send all important letters recorded delivery). In this scenario all you have lost is your deposit which you may have to sue them for, or claim back from your credit card as an insurance claim. I appreciate you have not got the sofa you wanted, but after six months of waiting and two months of rowing you really won't care about that any more. 5. Don't sell your existing furniture until you are certain they have your furniture ready to delivery - I was told they would wait a few weeks while I sold our furniture. 6. Don't UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES pay for your furniture up front - only pay the minimum deposit; if you have paid up front you have no leverage - keep an ace up your sleeve at all times.

I hope this helps you, and sorry for not replying sooner but I find this website really hard to use and navigate round.

Hi Lisa

Thank You for your reply, I am glad you have received your corner unit after so much hassle, our Nightmare is just beginning as we paid the full up front by credit card, as we have to wait the full 16weeks before we can get a full refund if the product does not arrived on time.

All I can say as I am sure every other customer is probably saying the same thing what a living Hell.

I know from now on check all Stores on this Site and especially small print and deposit only.

Thank You for getting back to me :)

Kiwee

Unfortunately you don't have too many aces to play, however once the 16 weeks is up you are within your rights to cancel the order as they have breached their contract with you, although you do need to be seen as being reasonable - this is essential if you end up taking them to the small claims court. Also your credit card purchases should have insurance, so you might want to speak to your credit card company about this matter. Should the furniture not arrive after giving them a month, your only other choice is to cancel your order in writing ( sent recorded delivery ) and take legal action through the small claims court ( if you haven't done this before it's a bit scarey, but don't worry ) but untimately ELS don't want to loose your order, so making the right noises and threats might probably work - it did for me. Before taking this step, especially if you haven't done it before, give them a months notice in writing ( sent recorded delivery ) to deliver your furniture. If it doesn't arrive go into the store on the date you have said you will cancel your order and demand your money back; be very loud and rude about it, as this is not something they will want in a shop where they are trying to sell furniture to other people. If this fails, then get the papers from your local court and file a claim against them. This doesn't take as long as it used to, so you should get your money back within a reasonable time. If you are worried about completing the small claims court paperwork, ask anyone you know with legal experience to help you, alternatively there is normally a court telephone number you can call for advice on completing paperwork, or make an appointment with your local citizens advice officer who will be able to help you.

We all do things with the best of intentions, and I have no doubt that when you paid the full amount you never thought for a moment it would go wrong. If it's any consolation my boss had two leather 3-seaters a few years ago; they were delivered on time and they were very pleased with them, so it's not everyone who gets this treatment.

Hi Lisa

Thank You for your reply we have gathered all the information and the help from your self as what to do, but we have noticed he has over charge us from the difference of the Sale Invoice and contacted our Credit Card Company.

Am glad to hear your boss did not have any problems he must be a lucky person.

Will keep the forum posted of the outcome.

Thank You once again for your help and advice, it has been much appreciated.

Must keep smiling.:)

Thank You Kiwee

We placed an order for a Minuetto suite last week with the Cannock branch and was told we could keep the price down if we paid the whole amount up front by either cash or cheque. I said I would only pay on credit card and they said OK no problem.

The trouble is we will have to wait up to 12 weeks for delivery from their supplier called New Trend Concepts in Italy. Needless to say, I will be keeping a very close eye on them, not least because of everything I have read here and in other posts, and because New Trends Concepts doesn't sound very Italian. They admit that there are inferior copies of 'our' suite being made in China and in the UK by a company called Forest Sofa. Why are companies still allowed to operate in this way, why cant sales people just be honest and straight. If they try and rip me off they will be making a big mistake.

Edited by we shall overcome
spelling

Update:

Just had a phone call from the original salesman to say it will now be at least 14 weeks and possibly more to delivery our leather sofa and not the 8 to 12 weeks as written on our order form. The reason they gave is due to Italy's religious and holiday festivals during August and September. But that was why he said it was going to take up to 12 weeks in the first place. I asked for a refund and when he rang back, miraculously they can now deliver in 12 weeks. I asked how they are now able to deliver in 12 weeks and he said they would push the order ahead of the queue. If not he 'assured me' I can have a refund cos of the legally binding contract. Trouble is, I still have a 12 week wait to find out.

I hope my next report will be to say they have kept their word and the suite was delivered on time and as instructed. Watch this space.

He / they are fully aware of this post and I have even discussed the problems others are having with non delivery, no refunds and damaged goods etc. I guess its water off a ducks back to some folk.

• 2 weeks later...

All you swindled people out there - I am another one! ELS in Cannock is sister store to Leather Lords, (now also trading as els, how scary!), located at John Kempe Way, Birmingham - opposite DFS. Same old story for me, ordered 2 sofas, paid deposit to LEATHER LORDS in 2009, paid balance in when advised sofas were ready, lo and behold, day before delivery, they rang to say only 1 sofa had arrived from "Italy". They offered us a loan sofa to be delivered with the one that had come from "Italy", and being unaware of their history, we accepted. But when it arrived, our sofa was completely the wrong colour, really dark. "They are often darker when they arrive, it will fade" made me PMSL. They promised to order a brand new pair of sofas, in correct colour, would take only 6 weeks (?). 8 weeks and phone calls later, the sofas had apparently arrived, but - wrong again! - a 3 seater and a 2 seater. At this point, I cancelled the order, and that's when the problems really began. Good old Jayne Bolton gave all the excuses under the sun, no refunds, refunds within 28 days, not until the loan sofas collected etc etc. We took advice and agreed for the loan sofas to be collected, and allowed them 28 days to refund. That date was due in May. Guess what - they STILL owe us thousands. Trading Standards have intervened, they are STILL stalling, if only we had paid on credit card. Moneyclaim online is imminent - the online version of small claims court, quite easy to complete - I will update site further as and when the action begins!!! So please tell everyone - it's not just ELS Cannock that is BAD, it's also els (was Leather Lords) Birmingham. The latest excuse is that "the person who writes the cheques is on holiday" - PMSL even more.

DON'T GIVE UP - THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT!!!!!!!

All you swindled people out there - I am another one! ELS in Cannock is sister store to Leather Lords, (now also trading as els, how scary!), located at John Kempe Way, Birmingham - opposite DFS. Same old story for me, ordered 2 sofas, paid deposit to LEATHER LORDS in 2009, paid balance in when advised sofas were ready, lo and behold, day before delivery, they rang to say only 1 sofa had arrived from "Italy". They offered us a loan sofa to be delivered with the one that had come from "Italy", and being unaware of their history, we accepted. But when it arrived, our sofa was completely the wrong colour, really dark. "They are often darker when they arrive, it will fade" made me PMSL. They promised to order a brand new pair of sofas, in correct colour, would take only 6 weeks (?). 8 weeks and phone calls later, the sofas had apparently arrived, but - wrong again! - a 3 seater and a 2 seater. At this point, I cancelled the order, and that's when the problems really began. Good old Jayne Bolton gave all the excuses under the sun, no refunds, refunds within 28 days, not until the loan sofas collected etc etc. We took advice and agreed for the loan sofas to be collected, and allowed them 28 days to refund. That date was due in May. Guess what - they STILL owe us thousands. Trading Standards have intervened, they are STILL stalling, if only we had paid on credit card. Moneyclaim online is imminent - the online version of small claims court, quite easy to complete - I will update site further as and when the action begins!!! So please tell everyone - it's not just ELS Cannock that is BAD, it's also els (was Leather Lords) Birmingham. The latest excuse is that "the person who writes the cheques is on holiday" - PMSL even more.

DON'T GIVE UP - THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT!!!!!!!

How can we stop a company like this, it seems they have been getting away with it for years, Not many people know about this website, I happen to come across it by chance.

There must be watchdog or something?:confused:

I'm waiting for my sofas. We ordered them back in March and were told 16 weeks. We initially paid £50 deposit and after a call from them to say our sofa was ready for delivery in July near the 16 weeks we paid the balance plus delievery £850 + £70 (delivery). We were told the delivery would be next week. No delievery I called up and was told that the sofas had not arrived yet and we hand to wait until the beginning of August for delivery. I was told I would get a call to be informed. No calls recieved i had to do the chasing. Called today and told they have arrived and they are going through customs will take 6-7 days before they are delivered. Expecting delivery next week.

What should I do if they disappoint again? I was considering writing to them and requesting a full refund within 28 days. What do you think?

Hello Money4justice

I would wait for next week until you received your goods, then I would send them a recorded delivery letter explaining your original delivery date and explained they have failed to delivery the order on time and you have given them extra reasonable time to deliver the goods and asked for a refund giving them a months notice, which is reasonable and await till then for your refund.

I must stressed if they offer you a credit note or other furniture within in the store, please do not except if you do except you are unable to get a full refund only a difference in price you paid and sometimes not even that, basically you are waving your trump card away.

If they don't reply, the only next step is the small claims court or Trading Standards, or even credit card company if you have paid with card, make sure you keep a copy of everything.

Lets hope you have some good luck :)

Hiya, just noticed that you paid in full by credit card - I know you have already been advised something about this - my understanding is that you can claim full refund from cc and then they actually go after the bad guys for you! Haven't done it this way myself, as I paid by debit card, but you are protected if you paid by cc. Good luck.

Anyone who has paid by credit card is protected - check out Consumer Credit Act SECTION 75 -

Under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, the card company is ‘jointly and severally liable’ for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the company. This means it is equally responsible along with the retailer or trader for the goods or service, and you can put your claim to the credit card company.

You don’t have to reach a stalemate with the retailer or trader before you can contact the company. However, this right is particularly useful if the retailer or trader has gone bust or it doesn’t respond to your letters or phone calls

Anyone who has paid by credit card is protected - check out Consumer Credit Act SECTION 75 -

Under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, the card company is ‘jointly and severally liable’ for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the company. This means it is equally responsible along with the retailer or trader for the goods or service, and you can put your claim to the credit card company.

You don’t have to reach a stalemate with the retailer or trader before you can contact the company. However, this right is particularly useful if the retailer or trader has gone bust or it doesn’t respond to your letters or phone calls

Help please what's best way to go now we ave just paid visit to cannock els paid £200 dep debit card for minuetto corner suite 12-14 wks delivery time due to holidays in Italy!! Just read loads bad reports about this company, do we try get out now because they want £1800.00 on Thursday for rest of dep?

Help please what's best way to go now we ave just paid visit to cannock els paid £200 dep debit card for minuetto corner suite 12-14 wks delivery time due to holidays in Italy!! Just read loads bad reports about this company, do we try get out now because they want £1800.00 on Thursday for rest of dep?

Hi Baxter - whatever you do - DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MORE MONEY!!!!! Why do they ask for all this cash up front? Because once they have your mony, they have you over a barrel, you may wait longer than 16 weeks for your sofa, if you get it at all, and once they have your cash, they don't have any reason to deliver your suite. By the way, Minuetto was the sofa we ordered, and as they progressively got the order wrong time and time again, the delivery dates got shorter and shorter - all of a sudden it went to 2 weeks "special delivery" when we originally tried to cancel the order. This is one of the ways they get you - do not pay them any more money. Debit card payments don't protect you like credit card payments - something I now do all the time. If you want to cancel the order, I would contact trading standards and take advice first, but maybe the worst thing that could happen is that you MIGHT lose your deposit, but I'm not sure where you stand. When did you pay, and did you actually read the terms and conditions in the store? Because they are usually hidden, and you don't get a copy, so you are entitled to say that you were not shown terms and conditions, which is illegal. You might have 4 days cooling off period? Sorry can't be more specific, just trying to give you leads to find out for sure. Good luck, let me know what happens, and keep that wallet closed!

Take heart - it is possible to get a refund. I ordered a suite in March (paid by credit card) only to be told in July that they couldn't guarantee me a delivery date because of problems with supplier. I cancelled the order on 6th July - told refund would take 14 days (it didn't of course). I chased and threatened on a regular basis - finally referring case to credit card dispute team on basis that I would claim against them undeer S75 CCA. I advised ELS of this and gave them a deadline and said that if refund wasn't made by today I would start legal action and would be claiming legal fees and damages on top of refund. Success - full refund was paid yesterday! I suspect that the company is still solvent but opperates a deliberate delaying tactic to help cashflow. Found an identical suite in Toons Castle Gresley for about the same price as ELS's discounted price.