IB50 confused

Helen2264
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

So as far as i can see you filled in the IB50 stating your physical and mh symptons. Am i correct?

He has concentrated on your physical symptoms. Did he ask questions like do you watch tv, can you cook a meal ,what do you do with your day.

When I had my medical my Mum had to answer almost all the questions as i couldn't speak because of the state i was in. The doctor said it was okay for my mum to answer.

I learned of my outcome after 3 weeks i passed the PCA with a review for my IB Feb 2011.

I suspect if i am not back in work by then i will be migrated onto the dreaded ESA.

Did you have anybody with you?Did you submit any additional med info.

I submitted with my IB50 letters from my works occ health people.

My heart goes out to you.

Why they can't accept what our doctors say.

My medical was 3 weeks ago for IB.

I know you are going to worry lets get your results then if you have to appeal we can all help you.

You take care.X

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, just a few things concern me:

I had an ESA medical at the start of the year and failed so ended up on JSA.

1. My wife went with me to the medical but was told that it wasn't necessary for her to go in with me. In fact the assessor said it might hinder the examination. She stayed outside and waited for me.

2. With ESA, it states when you receive the ESA50 that you must not send anything back with the form such as evidence, letters etc.

When I contacted the DWP they said that any evidence should be sent to them only and if I failed.

How did you manage to get the evidence to the DWP to pass first time?

How did you manage to convince ATOS that you would like someone with you?

Hi

At the medical the doctor came out and asked for me and introduced himself and asked whose this with you. He then said come on lets get this over with.

We got into the room he said i can send you home now but you will still have to come back or we try our best to do this.

He never questioned Mum coming in with me. As i was in such a state he said Mum can answer for you. I couldn't speak was crying shaking could only stutter a few words.

He had read my form and medical evidence and could see i have had reoccurent MH epsisodes for the last 11yrs.

As far as i am aware you are allowed to have somebody in with you.

I sent evidence to the DWP and also with my IB50 form although it did say not to send any evidence with the IB50.

I just thought it wouldn't hurt.

I was just plain lucky to get a doctor who understood MH and had read all before him.

He even offered advice at the end ie try and get out for a walk each day etc. Its a shame a young lady like you is this way just keep trying.

Best wishes

Catkin

Hi

At the medical the doctor came out and asked for me and introduced himself and asked whose this with you. He then said come on lets get this over with.

We got into the room he said i can send you home now but you will still have to come back or we try our best to do this.

He never questioned Mum coming in with me. As i was in such a state he said Mum can answer for you. I couldn't speak was crying shaking could only stutter a few words.

He had read my form and medical evidence and could see i have had reoccurent MH epsisodes for the last 11yrs.

As far as i am aware you are allowed to have somebody in with you.

I sent evidence to the DWP and also with my IB50 form although it did say not to send any evidence with the IB50.

I just thought it wouldn't hurt.

I was just plain lucky to get a doctor who understood MH and had read all before him.

He even offered advice at the end ie try and get out for a walk each day etc. Its a shame a young lady like you is this way just keep trying.

Best wishes

Catkin

Thanks Catkin,

You do seem to have had a more understanding assessor than I did. From the off he was aggressive, rude and to be PC, had a very strong Asian accent that I couldn't understand.

I'm glad it worked out for you and it just goes to prove that they are not all bad.

Yes I believed that you could take someone in with you, but he was very much against it.

Ah, right so you ignored the instructions about sending things in. That seems to be the way forward. Others I have asked either did what you did or took the evidence with them to the assessment - and they all passed.

The rest of us held back - as per instructions and waited to see if we failed first. The irony is that when I found out that I had failed & after I had appealed, I contacted the DWP to ask who I should send the evidence to. They said not to bother, you will have to take it or send it to the Court!! That was at the start of this year. I have given up waiting for a date and have signed on as unemployed as it is easier.

Hi

I am sorry to hear of your bad experience.

If you are claiming JSA and don't feel well could you put yourself through putting in a fresh claim for esa.

I beleive you can put in a fresh claim 6months after your last claim.

Best wishes

Hi, just a few things concern me:

I had an ESA medical at the start of the year and failed so ended up on JSA.

1. My wife went with me to the medical but was told that it wasn't necessary for her to go in with me. In fact the assessor said it might hinder the examination. She stayed outside and waited for me.

2. With ESA, it states when you receive the ESA50 that you must not send anything back with the form such as evidence, letters etc.

When I contacted the DWP they said that any evidence should be sent to them only and if I failed.

How did you manage to get the evidence to the DWP to pass first time?

How did you manage to convince ATOS that you would like someone with you?

Everyone has the right to take someone in with them, you should've been allowed to have your wife with you.

Hi

I am sorry to hear of your bad experience.

If you are claiming JSA and don't feel well could you put yourself through putting in a fresh claim for esa.

I beleive you can put in a fresh claim 6months after your last claim.

Best wishes

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Are you sure? How does that work? They have already found me fit for work despite the sick notes that I had, then I dropped the appeal in favour of JSA and had to sign a contract saying I was fit for work and available for 40 hours a week. Nothing has changed regarding my problems, so I cannot understand how I could claim for the same illness again given all of the above?

Yes it is more than 6 months since my last claim, actually it is now over 10 months since I put in the appeal.

Everyone has the right to take someone in with them, you should've been allowed to have your wife with you.

Thank you, I knew I was right, but when you have this doctor guy telling me that he would prefer her not to come in as it might interfere with the medical, what else am I supposed to believe?

Thank you, I knew I was right, but when you have this doctor guy telling me that he would prefer her not to come in as it might interfere with the medical, what else am I supposed to believe?
If you look on your appt letter it should tell you on there that you can have someone accompany you to the medical if i remember rightly.

My hubby came in with me for my IB medical :wink:

If you look on your appt letter it should tell you on there that you can have someone accompany you to the medical if i remember rightly.

My hubby came in with me for my IB medical :wink:

Yes thanks, I knew I was right and yes you are right. I have the letter in front of me and it does say that she could have come in with me. But, the way the doctor was saying it, he seemed to have the final say in the matter. So I had to go along with what he said, otherwise I thought I would be in trouble if I insisted.

It's unfortunate that when you get to our age, you believe and trust in people in authority.

Yes thanks, I knew I was right and yes you are right. I have the letter in front of me and it does say that she could have come in with me. But, the way the doctor was saying it, he seemed to have the final say in the matter. So I had to go along with what he said, otherwise I thought I would be in trouble if I insisted.

It's unfortunate that when you get to our age, you believe and trust in people in authority.

Yes i know, at least when you have another you now know that she can come in with you and dont let anyone persuade you otherwise

Good luck :smile:

Yes i know, at least when you have another you now know that she can come in with you and dont let anyone persuade you otherwise

Good luck :smile:

Thanks for that, yes it is something that I will remember, but unfortunately, I can't see that I'll ever be able to reclaim ESA as I have already claimed JSA after closing down my appeal as it was taking too long to get to the Tribunal. I can't say that I am fit for 40 hrs of work per week when I claimed JSA and then claim sicness benefit with the same original illness again!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I am asking on behalf of my friend I've mentioned of her before with regards to her IB benefit and address it was about her mother going into a residential care home and that my friend was living with her mother and now she has no fixed address she is still homeless but is using my address for all her correspondences to be sent we have informed the DWP and they have already send her a letter at my address the problem is now that she has to fill in an IB50 form because she has a review on her HB she is worrying of what address to put on the IB50 form because she is living from pillow to post at the moment I have told her already to go to her Local Authority to be put on their housing list she still haven't done so because she is still very upset that her mother is now in a care home my friend herself suffers from severe depression and has been on IB for a number of years she's had medical before and had passed without problem but now she has another medical and have to fill in the IB50 form she is wondering if she can use my address to put on her IB50 form but I am not sure as she doesn't live with me.

Can someone please advice us if it's ok she uses my address she stays between her sister's and onother friend's and sometimes she stays at my place but unfortunately neither wants her to use their addresses but I do not mind.

Many thanks in advance.

helen

I don't think that your friend need worry re. the address on the I.B.50 if she puts the words "currently homeless - mailing address" at the start of the address.

Re. applying with the council for housing, I agree with you and suggest that she goes even further by writing a letter to the council applying under the Housing Act 1996 - Parts VI and VII, and the Homelessness Act 2002 whereby she can oblige the council to house her under the "main homelessness duty".

Homelessness Code of Guidance for Local Authorities

In order to achieve lower homelessness "targets" Councils are being unhelpful. Misinformation, incompetence and "gate keeping" are widespread. It helps if you know how the Councils are supposed to apply the law because they pay scant regard to their duty of homelessness.

The Shelter web-site is a "must read" for advice and when I've phoned them I got through fairly quickly and found them to be very helpful and sympathetic.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

I don't think that your friend need worry re. the address on the I.B.50 if she puts the words "currently homeless - mailing address" at the start of the address.

Re. applying with the council for housing, I agree with you and suggest that she goes even further by writing a letter to the council applying under the Housing Act 1996 - Parts VI and VII, and the Homelessness Act 2002 whereby she can oblige the council to house her under the "main homelessness duty".The Shelter web-site is a "must read" for advice and when I've phoned them I got through fairly quickly and found them to be very helpful and sympathetic.

Thank you so much for your reply you've saved us from a lot of stress and worries I've told my friend that she must get herself on the council list as soon as possible so that would be the next thing she is going to do the quicker the better I told her. She lost her home when she became ill with severe depression and had to stop working she had her own property since then she lived with her mother until the mother went into a home so hopefully she'll have some luck and settle in a place of her own it's a long road but it's a start.

Many thanks

helen :)

• 3 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I am asking on behalf of my friend i've mentioned about her before that her mum had to go to a care home which made her homeless and she is staying at mine and her sister's place it's a very long story we've been the the Housing Team and both times we had really hard times but the issue I would like to ask about is for the Incapacity Benefit which she gets the lady at the homeless housing team said that my friend is not entitle to get a flat as she is on basic rates for IB my friends get £194.70 every two weeks can someone please tell me what rates are there for IB also the appointment went really horrible they were very harsh with my friend and I it was almost like an interogation they will not let me speak and my friend couldn't answer much questions because I did most of the phone calls for her and her mum it was me that help the mother to get into hospital and the care homes because my friend couldn't cope herself. The housing team also said my friend has to pass a medical I've told the lady she has already pass her medical first time round without any problem but she was still very nasty to us it got to the point my friend start pacing the floor and my panic started I did everything in my power not to have a full blown panic attacks it is so inhuman how they treat sick people if only that woman knows what hell we've been through in the past 3 years with her mother.

If anyone can tell us the rates of IB that would be great according to the housing team there are three rates of IB Low, Middle and High I've never heard of it before.

Many thanks from both of us

Take care all.

Helen :-(

There are different rates of IB according to how long the person's been claiming, and how old the person was when they started claiming. It sounds like your friend is getting the long term rate plus an age addition. There isn't a low, middle and high rate for ib, but there is for DLA care component - does your friend get DLA? Could that be what the woman was talking about?

Regarding the housing issue, I'm not very knowledgeable about the criteria for being housed, but nothing excuses the woman's attitude to your friend.

Hi Helen. I don't know the rates off the top of my head, but I expect someone will. Have you looked on the DWP or directgov website? I'd have thought they would be on there.

My best, HB

Hi Honeybee,

Thanks for your reply I didn't think about that it's amazing when one is so stressed you cannot think of the simplest things thanks for reminding me.

Take care

Helen

There are different rates of IB according to how long the person's been claiming, and how old the person was when they started claiming. It sounds like your friend is getting the long term rate plus an age addition. There isn't a low, middle and high rate for ib, but there is for DLA care component - does your friend get DLA? Could that be what the woman was talking about?

Regarding the housing issue, I'm not very knowledgeable about the criteria for being housed, but nothing excuses the woman's attitude to your friend.

Hi Leemack,

Many thanks for your reply my friend claimed when she was 42 years old exactly ten years ago when she has a massive breakdown it was then she moved in with her mum she'd been working for 20 years before that. We were wondering whether the Housing woman was talking about dla because we were sort of sure there isn't three different rates with IB. My friend only gets IB no dla, Income support nothing. We couldn't tell the woman further as we weren't allowed to say much because according to her she knows her job and knows what she is doing but her job or not until she hears about people stories and circumstances how on earth is she going to do her job my friend wasn't even adviced to seek legal help we just got send off and they say they will wait doctor's report anyway we are seeking legal aid I've already rang community legal advice but have to wait until monday for the person that deals with housing issues.

Take care

Helen

Hello Helen 2264

Give this a try http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/downloads_and_tools/emergency_checker

or if not give them a ring and see if they can help your friend housing problem http://england.shelter.org.uk/

Edited by 45002
Give Shelter a try

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Hello Helen 2264

Give this a try http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/downloads_and_tools/emergency_checker

or if not give them a ring and see if they can help your friend housing problem http://england.shelter.org.uk/

Thanks for your reply I rang shelter surprisingly didn't get much help out of them perhaps it is who answered the phone because I know shelter can be very helpful. The Community Legal advice was very helpful and explained which criteria my friend falls under we are waiting for monday to call back and get further help.

Take care

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone im new and need advice . im due a review for incapacity benefit aroun end of march , im told theresa backlog and it might be a while after that date . im confused as i revieve incapacity and no mention of migration to esa will i be sent a ib50 or a esa 50 ?. i thought the man from dwp said it would be a ib50 but now im worrying and cant cope , if anyone could help id be so gratefull . many thanks x

hi everyone im new and need advice . im due a review for incapacity benefit aroun end of march , im told theresa backlog and it might be a while after that date . im confused as i revieve incapacity and no mention of migration to esa will i be sent a ib50 or a esa 50 ?. i thought the man from dwp said it would be a ib50 but now im worrying and cant cope , if anyone could help id be so gratefull . many thanks x

I can understand your confusion I am receiving Income Support under ill health but I was sent an IB50 form to fill in that was last year I rang the dwp and told them that I am not receiving IB but they told me it's the form they are using for their medical test. I am due for a review in March this year also perhaps it might be the same IB50 form, I cannot understand why you are worrying yourself sick would it make any difference whether it's an IB50 form or ESA50 the main priority is to pass your medical I assume you'll be ask to go for a medical when you receive your form.

Others can help more about the esa but there was rumours on tv that there might be a new benefit system altogether just one type of benefit that everyone will received the dwp is making do without all different type of benefits.

Take care and please don't worry yourself.

I can understand why you would worry smithy 1, ESA is harder to get.

It's a good question because we should be migrated from March (me included) and I'd be interested to know if they send you an ESA50 or an IB50.

Which ever one it is, we are here to help.

My guess is that they will leave you alone until they are ready to send you an ESA50.

- dj

Edited by doktorjohn

Benefits rules are complex, and although I do try to inform and support people, I may get it wrong because the rules apply to individual claimants and their particular circumstances.