IB50 confused

Helen2264
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4783 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,I am new here just joined. Can someone please help me with claiming IB. I am receiving Income Support/Child Tax Credit/Child Benefit at the moment. Due to my ill health the Job centre suggested I claim IB. I am very confused as I have not been working since 2004 and have not paid NI so how can I make a claim for IB. I read that to claim for IB you need to have paid NI in the past 3 years etc. I am also in the process of making a claim for DLA, I have today received both my IB and DLA claim forms. I am so confused with both that I do not know where to start. Can someone please guide me or give me tips of the best way to fill in those forms, good job I have six weeks before I need to send these forms back. I will be seeing my doctor next week regarding a Sick Note, I read so much horror of people not being successful with their claimants it's making my panic attack worse. I have been housebound for 2 weeks now with my Fribro problems and panic attacks, I am so worry of being rejected, I am physically mentally unable to cope with all those appeals and re-claiming i read about, my body right down is in total shutdown.Any help i can get with IB and DLA would be much appreciated. If I get IB would I need to keep asking the doctor for sick notes and if I stay as i am on Income Support the job centre will keep asking me to attend interview etc, it was the lady at the job centre that told me to claim for IB as she know my problems and said that they would lay of my back about me needing to attend interviews etc.many thanks in advancehelen

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told that I could claim IB too when I tried to phone the benefits helpline but I am not sure if I am entitled either, I really want to work but I am so stressed and suffer from anxiety that I cant function when I try to work, I volunteered in an office but it was really bad and I got ill. Also I am not registered disabled but cannot walk up stairs, I got a job in Boots a couple of years ago but had to leave because they had no lift and really long stairs which were killing me, my problems started after I had an epidural at the birth of my son, is there someone that can help with the claiming or something for people like us two? there must be some office or something where you can get help

I was told that I could claim IB too when I tried to phone the benefits helpline but I am not sure if I am entitled either, I really want to work but I am so stressed and suffer from anxiety that I cant function when I try to work, I volunteered in an office but it was really bad and I got ill. Also I am not registered disabled but cannot walk up stairs, I got a job in Boots a couple of years ago but had to leave because they had no lift and really long stairs which were killing me, my problems started after I had an epidural at the birth of my son, is there someone that can help with the claiming or something for people like us two? there must be some office or something where you can get help

Hi pompom,I am sorry about your health problem, at last i found someone similar to myself, Are you on Income Support at the moment? I am also a single parent, the most confusion i had when i saw many single adults claiming Income Support, I assumed it was a benefit just for single parents, very naive of me. I too have been working for years, I have been on IS for 3 years now. If i had a choice i too would be working, i am not bragging but i was earning more in a week for what i am getting in a month and to see many people think some of us wants to be on benefit instead of working. I had a very well paid job and a decent living, the difference in my life now is so vast it's a nightmare. I've tried to work as much as my health would let me, but for the past 3 yrs my body just gave up. I too not registered as disabled and like yourself i avoid stairs, escalators, etc, i have to hold on to the rails when i go up or down the stairs it's a very slow process. My anxiety and panic attacks is worse than before. My problem started back in 1985 i spent a week in hospital whilst pregnant with my first. I've had two premature births, two miscarriages, 3 operations within 4 yrs all gynae related. Oh well lets hope we can get some help, you may be able to claim for DLA which is Disability Living Allowance, the jobcentre was the one that told me i can claim for it when i rang for my IB claim pack. I had no idea about IB or DLA. I have received both the IB and DLA claim pack hence! my being here in this forum hoping for some help. take carehelen

The CAB office can help with form filling and can help with what you are entittled to.

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

I dont know about where you live but the CAB are in crisis here, they cant give people good advice, last time someone from there wrote a letter and even i couldn't understand what they had written and then i was sent back from another CAB office by staff who didn't even bother to find out what my problem was and they were really nasty to me about it, i am still waiting for the appointment they promised me as well as them losing the paperwork

To answer your original question Helen the reason why it is worth you claiming IB (maybe) is that in October the rules for Income Support are changing. From October you will no longer qualify for Income Support if your youngest child is over 12 years old, and within a year if your child is over 7. For the vast majority of single parents claiming Income Support this will mean having to claim Jobseekers Allowance and looking for work.

If as you say you have not worked and paid National Insurance then you will not receive Incapacity Benefit, however having a claim to Incapacity Benefit will enable you to continue to receive the Income Support. As to filling out the forms I can only advise you to fill out the bits you can do and if any particular questions confuse you then come back to this thread and post the questions and why they are confusing you, and I will try to help.

Sorry if I have made an assumption about why the Jobcentre has advised you to claim IB. However also beware the medical tests etc that the Jobcentre uses to decide if you will continue to be entitled to benefit are also changing soon and continuing to recieve benefit is likely to have it's own stresses.

.....of course I may be wrong!:?

To answer your original question Helen the reason why it is worth you claiming IB (maybe) is that in October the rules for Income Support are changing. From October you will no longer qualify for Income Support if your youngest child is over 12 years old, and within a year if your child is over 7. For the vast majority of single parents claiming Income Support this will mean having to claim Jobseekers Allowance and looking for work.

If as you say you have not worked and paid National Insurance then you will not receive Incapacity Benefit, however having a claim to Incapacity Benefit will enable you to continue to receive the Income Support. As to filling out the forms I can only advise you to fill out the bits you can do and if any particular questions confuse you then come back to this thread and post the questions and why they are confusing you, and I will try to help.

Sorry if I have made an assumption about why the Jobcentre has advised you to claim IB. However also beware the medical tests etc that the Jobcentre uses to decide if you will continue to be entitled to benefit are also changing soon and continuing to recieve benefit is likely to have it's own stresses.

Hi Frost,many thanks for your reply. I am still confuse with IB business. I rang the jobcentre today and ask them how can I claim IB if i haven't work for the past 3 yrs, the lady told me i don't qualify to claim for IB, so i said why then two people i saw at the jobcentre when i had my back to work focus told me to claim IB and i also rang the jobcentre they send me a claim pack and told me to enclose a sick note with it, the lady then said well if they've ask you for a sick note then it should be ok. anyway i saw my gp at last and she was very helpful and gave me a sick note for 3 months plus put down the condition of my illness, so i will try to claim IB if i get it then that's ok but if not there is nothing i can do about it, i was also told by the jobcentre that i can claim dla as they seen my health problems so the main thing now i will do is to claim for dla which luckily on both count of my illnesses i can claim. so that's the road i will take for now. i will also get a Disability Guide Handbook.many thanks regardshelen

I forgot to answer one of the questions you asked. If you claim IB then you will need to continue to send sick notes until you go to a medical examination after which time you will not need to send in the notes any more, but they will send you to see one of their contracted doctors on a regular basis. This information is subject to change as the rules for claiming IB are changing soon. I will know more tomorrow as I am meeting with a friend who still works there and has just had training about the changes that are happening soon.

Also make a note in your diary for the fifteenth of July as that is the date you will need a new sick note from your doctor, that is assuming that you got the note today and that they don't send you for a medical before that date. It is also worth noting that if you don't have a sick note for the entire period of a payment they will not release a payment so it may be worth going to your doctor a week or so early to make sure that there is no inturruption in your payments.

• Haha 1

.....of course I may be wrong!:?

Hi Helen,

The worse they can say is no!

I see Frost has helped you immensly so far.

;)

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 1 year later...

Hello Erica,

I won't you don't mind one of the members has given me your name and said you know a little about benefit. I don't know if you can help me my situation is that I claim IS on health ground I didn't anything know about IB at the time so as a single mum I assume I just claim IS though I did put on my IS form that I have been told by my GP to stop working due to ill health and after being sent to hospital 3 times in that year I decided to take my doctor's advice now the DSS put that detail on their computer and still is I am under Helath ground but since back to 2005 I have never received disibality premium I've been told you can get it after a year of claiming IS but I never receive any nor has the job centre mentioned it to me so to this day I am only receive JSA @ £64.30 even though the job centre has told me not to look for work from January this year because I am not well enough to work but esa failed my medical which i never had a medical and job centre still saying I am not fit for work.

The problem is to get the right benefit I should be having would you be able to guide me of what to do and where to start? I am not expecting a miracle because I have no faith at all with regards to the dwp or them giving any money out but I could try with the help of someone.

many thanks

Hi Helen. If you were not receiving incapacity benefit at the long-term rate, severe disablement allowance or disability living allowance at the time you claimed Income Support initially you would not automatically qualify for the disability premium, and would need to have provided sick certs from your GP citing you as incapable for work for 12 months whilst on IS to receive the disability premium.

To get the DP in this circumstance, you would need to provide two sick notes from your GP. One is called a MED3 and states you are unfit for work, the other is called a MED5 and is a sick cert which can effectively be backdated to the date when you became unfit for work. If the MED5 shows you had been unfit for work for at least 12 months when claiming Income Support or JSA, you may be able to get the DP paid from then; though they may not backdate it and may only pay you from now. I think you also need to complete a form called an SC1 - Mikey Dabodee should be able to clarify if that's still the case.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi Helen

Erika is spot on,:)

to get the DP now for the years you were on IS you would have to get a back dated cert and ask for your IB to be backdated

I take it then you have made the decision to go back on IS and IB.

Our customers are not filling in a SCI, we just fill out a IS50 an ref the med cert and the form to IB, IB then opens a new clerical claim and tells us the they have accepted the new claim, we then reopen the IS claim

We set case controls for med certs and they must be supplied to keep the claim open.

I have seen claims to IB being backdated for years so if you could get the med cert then they could be a chance that you could ask for your claim to IB to be backdated, then you would get the disability premium, and IS would pay arrears.

If you cant get this then you will get the DP in twelve months.

Unless you have DLA.

Hi Helen. If you were not receiving incapacity benefit at the long-term rate, severe disablement allowance or disability living allowance at the time you claimed Income Support initially you would not automatically qualify for the disability premium, and would need to have provided sick certs from your GP citing you as incapable for work for 12 months whilst on IS to receive the disability premium.

To get the DP in this circumstance, you would need to provide two sick notes from your GP. One is called a MED3 and states you are unfit for work, the other is called a MED5 and is a sick cert which can effectively be backdated to the date when you became unfit for work. If the MED5 shows you had been unfit for work for at least 12 months when claiming Income Support or JSA, you may be able to get the DP paid from then; though they may not backdate it and may only pay you from now. I think you also need to complete a form called an SC1 - Mikey Dabodee should be able to clarify if that's still the case.

Thanks very much Erika for your advice I am so confused with the benefit system as mentioned i was just claiming standard IS also the DSS at the time knew of my disability but no one said you can claim DP premium due to ill health so todate I am only having standard benefit I have been told recently by legal aid that I am claiming the wrong benefit to come off jsa and claim esa but they weren't that helpful and on my own i just don't know where to start. I will wait for the decision I've recently made with regards to the recent letter about going back top IS on health ground and had enclosed a recent sick note from my gp so I shall wait for the outcome if i receive the premium perhaps then i should get a MED5 and start from there to get some back dated money. If i get just the standard amount then i shall appeal against it until i get the right benefit i should have because the job centre has told me not to look for work as i am unfit for work.

shall let you guys know the outcome.

many thanks :Cry:

Hi Helen

Erika is spot on,:)

to get the DP now for the years you were on IS you would have to get a back dated cert and ask for your IB to be backdated

I am confused here you mean if now when I get IB sorry my brain is very pickled because i have never claimed for IB.

Our customers are not filling in a SCI, we just fill out a IS50 an ref the med cert and the form to IB, IB then opens a new clerical claim and tells us the they have accepted the new claim, we then reopen the IS claim

Yes i've decided to go back on IS I don't know about IB i've never got that should i claim for IB? is that allowed with IS?

I have seen claims to IB being backdated for years so if you could get the med cert then they could be a chance that you could ask for your claim to IB to be backdated, then you would get the disability premium, and IS would pay arrears.

I would get the med cert from my gp no problem she is very understanding and supportive again sorry IB being mentioned is confusing me.

Unless you have DLA.

No I am not receiving dla but i am in the process for appealing for dla at the moment the new legal aid advisor is handling that for me they also told me i am on the wrong benefit and to go back to IS under health ground. I am afraid everything is unside down at the moment and is making me more panicky and stressed out.

Thanks very much for all your advice I do appreciate it even though i am confused at the moment but every advice I get is valuable.

hi be very careful here i was recently awarded DLA i work and am not on benefits(thank goodness),i phoned the tax credits to tell them id just started recieving DLA.the following week my tax credits were stopped no explaination when i phoned was told that tax credits were already paying me the disability ppremium,with my tax credits since 2005 which was complete rubbish as i was working full time and wasnt disabled then.i have a solictor my mp and hopefully stephen timms(minister for tax credits)persuing this for me.just make sure the benefits agency handle your claim properly not like the stupid tax credits system

hi be very careful here i was recently awarded DLA i work and am not on benefits(thank goodness),i phoned the tax credits to tell them id just started recieving DLA.the following week my tax credits were stopped no explaination when i phoned was told that tax credits were already paying me the disability ppremium,with my tax credits since 2005 which was complete rubbish as i was working full time and wasnt disabled then.i have a solictor my mp and hopefully stephen timms(minister for tax credits)persuing this for me.just make sure the benefits agency handle your claim properly not like the stupid tax credits system

Thanks for your message as far as I know I don't get any tax credits as I am not working nor have i receive it since 2005 when i became ill and only last year i found out about child tax credit which they then back dated it from may 2009. The only benefit I have been receiving since last year when i was put on esa was Income Support without premium, child Benefit and child tax credit at the moment all I receive are JSA no premium, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit that is all. The benefit I receive is very basic so there won't be anything to loose.

Originally Posted by MIKEY DABODEE viewpost.gif

Hi Helen

Erika is spot on,:-)

I am confused here you mean if now when I get IB sorry my brain is very pickled because i have never claimed for IB.

sorry :) IB means Incapacity Benefit, you should have been advised to claim this years ago to go along with your Income Support. Its a benefit for people who are sick and unable to work.

Yes i've decided to go back on IS I don't know about IB i've never got that should i claim for IB? is that allowed with IS?

IB for new claimants has finished but you have special rights which is why you are being allowed to claim this when you go back on IS. When you remake your claim you will be put on the both benefits, which you should have been on years ago.

I would get the med cert from my gp no problem she is very understanding and supportive again sorry IB being mentioned is confusing me.

If you can get the backdated cert, for as far back as possible, it would help you get the arrears of the DP

Unless you have DLA

Its hard to explain but will do my best.

Years ago when you made your claim to IS then you should have been advised to claim IB as well, Incapacity benefit.

After being on Incapacity Benefit for a year you would have got a disability premium.

Most people who claim IB claim IS as well, its because sometimes IB dont pay a lot of money and they are entitled to the extra from IS.

for example say the law says you are entitled to £80.00 a week, IB may only pay you sixty then IS would pay you the other twenty.

To claim IS you have to have a condition of entitlement IB was one of them , lone parent is another, you went on as a lone parent. As a lone parent you would never be entitled to the DP unless you had DLA at the time, if you would have claimed IB, after twelve months you would have got it.

So thats how you have missed out.

Now because your youngest child had reached twelve, they shifted you off IS, again if you had had IB as well they could not have done that, you would have stayed on.

You claimed JSA when you should have claimed ESA, the new IB.

But you have been given a chance to come back on IS because of a loophole, which now has been closed,

So you are coming back on IS and to come back on they will have to make a claim for IB for you as well, at last what you should have been on from the start,

we got there :)

Now you dont want to have to wait a year for the DP do you, so thats whey you need to get that cert backdated for years if you can, and your IB will be awarded from the date you manage to get it, hopefully,

then that DP will be yours and maybe arrears due.

If you are going to see someone from legal welfare, print this off and they will help you

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I haven't been on here for a while been very ill. Some time ago I start a thread with regarding a letter from the DWP "We made a mistake" with regards to my Income Support last year when they took me off my IS benetfit and I had to claim Job Seekers Allowance anyway after months of trying to deal with the DWP's "Mistake Letter" long story help came to me in the name of my Kind Job Seekers Advisor she has seen me being ill several times when sigining in for my JSA she insisted she will take up the case for me and of couse due to her I was put back on Income Support and had all the money from March 2009 to April 2010 paid to me. I no longer have to go to the Job Centre to sign on saying that I was never worried about singning on every two weeks beggars can't be chooses anyway I am now on Income Support under ill health I received on July 7th 2010 a confirmation letter from the Job Centre about my claim for Income Support but I also received a letter from Atos Original Medical Services dated 6th July 2010 inclosing a form of IB50 to fill in which of course I was very confused to say the least I did not do anything about the Atos Letter because I had no confirmation letter fom the Job Centre telling me anything about claiming IB which I have never claimed in the first place. Yesterday I receive another letter from Atos Origin telling me that I need to send the IB50 Form by the 20th August otherwise my benefit will stop the Atos letter has no name nor signature surely Atos has no right to stop my benefit without a consent or confirmation letter from the DWP telling me otherwise. I just wondered if anyone had similar experience and what have they done under this circumstances.

Any reply would be much appreciated.

Thanks

helen

I am at moment on income support due to disability and eventually will be moved to esa like everyone else. I know my welfare rights advisor still had to help me fill the IB50 in and she was confused, but said it needed to be sent in anyhow and she did. I think from the form they decided how prompt a medical is needed or put you to one side like me and we all get medicals at point of changeover. I was told by income support the from was not necessary but incapacity who said it was, very confusing indeed.

If you leave it they could cut your right to income support and you would have to make prompter application for esa anyhow, so fill it in and keep a copy of it and send recorded delivery.

Its something in my case to do with single parents who are disabled were allowed to temporarily stay on income support whereas previously told to make new claim for esa. described as a backtrack.

Dont know if your a single mum as would explain it, but in any case fill it in to be safe xx

I am at moment on income support due to disability and eventually will be moved to esa like everyone else. I know my welfare rights advisor still had to help me fill the IB50 in and she was confused, but said it needed to be sent in anyhow and she did. I think from the form they decided how prompt a medical is needed or put you to one side like me and we all get medicals at point of changeover. I was told by income support the from was not necessary but incapacity who said it was, very confusing indeed.

If you leave it they could cut your right to income support and you would have to make prompter application for esa anyhow, so fill it in and keep a copy of it and send recorded delivery.

Its something in my case to do with single parents who are disabled were allowed to temporarily stay on income support whereas previously told to make new claim for esa. described as a backtrack.

Dont know if your a single mum as would explain it, but in any case fill it in to be safe xx

Thanks for you reply much appreciated. Did you get the IB50 Form direct from Atos or from the DWP? my IB50 Form came direct from Atos there are no name or signature and the letter is obviously computer generated that's why I am relunctant to fill the form in I shall call the Job Centre on Monday and tell them about the IB50 Form and go from there every single letter I received from DWP the Manager name was given I cannot understand how Atos can tell a claimant their benefit will stop if the IB50 Form is not filled in and and their letter has no name or signature by law if someone is sending such a letter then a name must be given.

Anyway I shall let you know how I got on. By the way I am a single Parent.

Take care xx

Mine came from dwp thats why it was so confusing, as one dept said an old form and not relelvant and other dept said fill it in or benefits will stop. Probably in cases such as ours they are using the old form still and also atos.

Could you see if have welfare rights or cab near you if need help with it? they are angels. xx

....I cannot understand how Atos can tell a claimant their benefit will stop if the IB50 Form is not filled in and and their letter has no name or signature by law if someone is sending such a letter then a name must be given.

ATOS can't stop someone's benefit as such - they're not a government department. If you are required to complete an IB50 and don't, ATOS will inform the IS/IB sections at the Jobcentre office that pays your claim.

That office would then contact you to ask if you have good reason for failing to return the form. If they're not satisfied with your reason, they will probably stop your payments.

I've never heard of a law requiring a name to be given on such letters, but I've been wrong before. If you could point me to this law that would be useful.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yep correct it would be atos who contact dwp who would have the power to stop payments. If their letter did say that, maybe atos is getting a little head of themselves ;)

Bit like a dca threatening to remove all your goods, they dont add they have to win a court case against you and you have to then default on court payments.

Do fill it in though and keep a copy xx