So difficult to come off benefits. Advice needed

redrum3wins
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently had a course of treatment that has helped my health condition, so I have filled in the necessary DLA forms. I was in receipt of HRC and LRM. My wife received carers allowance for me. I know that I am fit enough not to need either of these benefits at present. (Although I don't know if my will take another downturn)

I have not yet received a reply from the DLA dept. I sent the form approx 2 weeks ago.

My wife rang the Carers allowance dept and informed them that she was no longer caring for me.

My circumstances were that 3 years ago, I had an accident and could not work.

I then became entitled to Incapacity Benefit, DLA at HRC and LRM. Also Income support and Housing and Council Tax Benefit.

Now that I am more fit (whether temporarily or otherwise) I want to start working for myself gradually.

My G.P. has advised me to try it for three months doing light duties for 18 hours per week.

This is what my business would be doing ie light duties only and would be working from home, so that when I feel up to doing some work I can and when I don't feel up to it, I stop.

I have contacted Jobcentre Plus and all seems ok with them, but with the HB office, they want proof from my Doctor that I am able to work and also proof from my employer that I have work. I did not tell HB that I will be working for myself because I found it to be quite strange that they would want proof of this and also want proof of my income. I thought it would be to their delight for me to say "hey, I won't be needing HB and CT benefit because I'm going to be working"

Is there something wrong with their system or am I missing some points anywhwere. I am so confused as what I thought would be great cheers (figuratively speaking) they are asking me to prove that I will be working etc etc.

I am over 50 so if I don't start work for myself again now, I will never get anyone to employ me.

I would be very grateful to anyone whom knows what is the correct procedure for myself and my wife.

Kind Regards to all

Hi... Can't answer all your questions but I am sure you will get loads of replies. Your DLA submission reminds me when I had to fill in that form for the second application after my own accident. They never wrote to me. The first I realised was that they just stopped paying me. So expect the worst response.

Have you read up on Permitted work and the Employment and Support Allowance? The 18 hours mentioned by your GP is over that limit. There is also an earnings limit too.

Thanks for your reply. I know that I will be doing the 18 hours p/w that my G.P. reccommended, that will take into the realm of full time work. But working from home is easier in that I will be able to work when I feel up to it.

What I can't understand is why the HB and CT office want proof of my employer and also my earnings, as I have told them I don't need these benefits any longer. As stated earlier, I will be self employed so can only forecast my earnings. So I can't understand why they just can't just close my claim after even after seeing my G.P. signing off note. I have not yet given them that yet. The G.P. fit note states that I can work up to 18 hours per week, light duties only. Which is what my work would comprise of.

Best Regards

If you want to cancel your HB and CTB claim then you shouldn't have to provide any information, you should be able to just put it in writing that you wish to cancel it from xx date. Perhaps they are asking for that info to see if you would still be entitled to some help from them?

If you want to cancel your HB and CTB claim then you shouldn't have to provide any information, you should be able to just put it in writing that you wish to cancel it from xx date. Perhaps they are asking for that info to see if you would still be entitled to some help from them?

Thanks very much for your reply, but apparrently it is not all that straightforward. They said they need to know how much I will be earning and that I need a letter from my employer. I also need a fit not signed by my G.P. Whilst I have the fit note signed, I do not have a letter from an employer as I will be self employed working for 18 hours per week. I cannot give an accurate forecast of how much money I will earn, but I do have an idea. Because of this, I have not yet answered their query and hope that someone on here has the knowledge of just how I should reply to the HB & CT offices in a format that is acceptable to them.

I would be ever so grateful if anyone knows how I should address this matter I would be most appreciative if you would help me out with just how to write what is acceptable to them.

Best Regards to all.

I hope you don't mind me asking why are you stopping your benefits now before you've even starting your business I say this because you keep saying you would be working which means you are not in business yet perhaps HB is making sure that you can stop claiming or won't be claiming again because if your business don't succeed you will be claiming again.

Thanks very much for your reply, but apparrently it is not all that straightforward. They said they need to know how much I will be earning and that I need a letter from my employer. I also need a fit not signed by my G.P. Whilst I have the fit note signed, I do not have a letter from an employer as I will be self employed working for 18 hours per week. I cannot give an accurate forecast of how much money I will earn, but I do have an idea. Because of this, I have not yet answered their query and hope that someone on here has the knowledge of just how I should reply to the HB & CT offices in a format that is acceptable to them.

I would be ever so grateful if anyone knows how I should address this matter I would be most appreciative if you would help me out with just how to write what is acceptable to them.

Best Regards to all.

They need to know what your income is so that they can work out whether you are entitle to HB or not if you are not making enough money you may be able to still claim HB CT again I cannot understand why you are stopping your benefit now who is going to pay for your housing if you stop your IB. Hope you don't my me asking just my thought.