Sick of claiming JSA (Jobseeker's Allowance) - Reason for signing off?

saint91
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4990 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I've been on JSA for a couple of months now, but the whole process is so demeaning and demoralising that I want to stop claiming. It has a negative effect in terms of motivation, not a positive one. My family's going to help support me while I continue to look for work.

How do I sign off/stop claiming quickly? What reason should I give for signing off since I'm not going to be employed/in training?

Thanks, Callumsgran. :)

The "stopping your claim" form in the JSA booklet asks for a reason - should I really write that I find it depressing? That just seems... like a strangely personal thing to put on a form.

Or are you saying I should stop signing on?

Can't say I blame you Saint91. It been demoralising me specially that I have been sanctioned over putting a interview a priory over a agency job vacancy which I had no chance in hell in getting. The job centre plus passes the buck to and from. Can not give me advice or why I had been sanctioned so heavily when I have been searching for a jobs. How much evidence do they need?

As I am not getting benefit for 3 months I think I will sign off regardless if they will not help me or give me an information when I go and see them in my reconsideration interview. Stress is not good when attending an interview which I have another comming up sigh :(

Thanks, Callumsgran. :)

The "stopping your claim" form in the JSA booklet asks for a reason - should I really write that I find it depressing? That just seems... like a strangely personal thing to put on a form.

Or are you saying I should stop signing on?

On the very same page at the very beginning, it should say something like "you are not required to give this information..." When I sign off, all I write is the date I last want to claim for and then sign and date it!!! That's all you need to do.

If you want to sign off, put down the last day of claim as the date before you were due to sign on. So if you were due to sign this Thursday 26th, then put down Wednesday 25th and you'll get paid upto this date! If you just don't sign on then you will not receive the extra money accrued since you last went to sign.

You are not obligated to claim, if you can afford not to then just don't...none of there business! However, it is easier to claim other benefits etc if you are claiming JSA.

Hope this helps!

You can give any reason or no reason, it's up to you. You can't be forced to claim public money against your will.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

you dont say if your on contribution or income related jobseekers allowance,if you are entitled to claim claim it,the job centre isnt the best place but look on it as you will be out the door soon enough,signing off will generate a p45,reasons for not not signing off is you do not know how long you will be unemployed for and this could create tensions if relying on someone else for support if things don't work out as anticipated.if income based jobseekers this gives you free prescriptions'/free dental treatment/and council tax.

Hi Saint91,

Stopthethieves has given you very good advice. You are not obliged to give a reason for closing your claim. The reason why JCP request this is for statistical purposes. However, I would urge you to continue claiming for two reasons. The first is that you are unemployed and therefore entitled to claim, the second and most importantly is that whilst you are claiming, JCP are paying your National Insurance Contributions. If there is a break in these contributions it might affect any future claim you might have e.g. ESA, JSA, state pension etc

Hi, I've been on JSA for a couple of months now, but the whole process is so demeaning and demoralising that I want to stop claiming. It has a negative effect in terms of motivation, not a positive one. My family's going to help support me while I continue to look for work.

Yes I believe it does make you feel that way I've been working for 27 years and felt the same when I couldn't work anymore but you need to think hard before you stop claiming to ensure your family can keep on supporting you, you have good family to support you by the way. The Govt money are there to help those that need help so don't think yourself bad because you are in need I myself cannot wait to start earning my own money but needs must and I cannot afford to feel demeaning and demoralising I have a child to support.

I wish you all the best.