Is it illegal for Parcelforce to sign for my parcel in my name?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I brought something online and it was sent next day delivery. It came today but I was in bed so it was posted through the letter box. Iv just checked online tracking and it has a proof of delivery signature which wasn't done by me. No-one else signed for it in my house. My mum was out and my brother wouldn't. He's disabled and cant handle the dog which would run out if he opened the door and he cant read or write (at least not on the small POD thing as he has bad eyes and not every good with his eyes).

it was signed in my name, with my 1st initial and my surname. If my mum were to sign, it would have been in her name. The thing that annoys me is that parcelforce signed in my name, not theirs. If it said "B. Bob" then I wouldnt have been annoyed. Them using my name basically says that I agree that I have received the parcel where as if they signed in their name, they would be agreeing that I received it.

Is there any law against this I an can quote in a letter to them or anything important which needs to be said? I will be printing off the proof of delivery and sent with the letter of complaint (asking to be compensated) and I will sign the letter with MY signature. Am I taking this too far or does anyone agree its out of order? This has really ticked me off. :mad:

Thanks,

James.

Screenshot of proof of delivery:

Untitled-15.png

Not illegal, but bad form nevertheless. You DID get the consignment, and if you hadn't been in bed, you;d have opened the door? Faced with a possible 40 mile round trip to the depot to collect, I think you had a particularly intelligent driver who saved you some hassle.

Thread moved to Postal and Delivery Services Forum.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Not illegal, but bad form nevertheless. You DID get the consignment, and if you hadn't been in bed, you;d have opened the door? Faced with a possible 40 mile round trip to the depot to collect, I think you had a particularly intelligent driver who saved you some hassle.

Its the fact that he signed for me as me though. No problem if he used his name, and nothing illegal with that either, but he's pretending to be me. He has no right in doing that.

In the scale of things - it isn't your signature and you could prove it if called to do so, so he's fooling himself. However, the new POD devices NEED a signature name and time to 'sign off' that the parcel has been delivered to its destrination. AND is saves it going back to the depot, so whilst you might be annoyed, you got tyhe contents quickly and without hassle - surely that's better than (a) not at all, or (b) wiating for a re-delivery at an unspecified date/time?

It most certainly is illegal! 2 points of law. Ipersonation and interfering with HM Postal service.

I agree with Buzby that he was doing you favour by sorts, but to 'forge' your signature and use your name is definitely not allowed. If the PF delivery personage chose to just pop it through the letterbox, that is fine in some ways as long as they are 100% sure it is the correct address, but they should have put 'posted through door' or something to that effect, not your name and signature.

As far as a court is concerned, YOU signed for it. Usually that signature confirms that you have received in good condition too these days.

Having said all that, any complaint to PF usually lands on the desk of he who has impaired recpticles for oral and verbal transmissions. (It falls on deaf ears).

Yours sincerely,

J Bloggs

Head of Parcelforce

In the scale of things - it isn't your signature and you could prove it if called to do so, so he's fooling himself. However, the new POD devices NEED a signature name and time to 'sign off' that the parcel has been delivered to its destrination. AND is saves it going back to the depot, so whilst you might be annoyed, you got tyhe contents quickly and without hassle - surely that's better than (a) not at all, or (b) wiating for a re-delivery at an unspecified date/time?

So he could sign with his name, get on with his day and no more on the matter.

It most certainly is illegal! 2 points of law. Ipersonation and interfering with HM Postal service.

I agree with Buzby that he was doing you favour by sorts, but to 'forge' your signature and use your name is definitely not allowed. If the PF delivery personage chose to just pop it through the letterbox, that is fine in some ways as long as they are 100% sure it is the correct address, but they should have put 'posted through door' or something to that effect, not your name and signature.

As far as a court is concerned, YOU signed for it. Usually that signature confirms that you have received in good condition too these days.

Having said all that, any complaint to PF usually lands on the desk of he who has impaired recpticles for oral and verbal transmissions. (It falls on deaf ears).

Yours sincerely,

J Bloggs

Head of Parcelforce

Thank you, this is what I was thinking.... and trying to get at. its not anything big (like some kind of contract) but what's the point of having to sign for stuff in any case (delivery, contracts, forms ect) if any random joe can sign and it not matter. If it didn't arrive then I wouldnt have a leg to stand on as "I" apparently signed for it.

What he should have done is sign his name on your behalf. Although I can see that the guy was just making sure that you got your parcel today and not have to wait or rearrange. I wouldn't dob him in over it though, he did what he thought you would be OK with. I would (and have) done the same in the past. ie Just accepted that I had the parcel today rather than tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent a complaint and the proof of delivery which I printed from their site and received this today:

vdlu12.jpg

Like the letter states, the driver could have delivered it to a neighbour (I have some each side of my house and thousands around, not too hard) or he could have popped it into the local Post Office. There's 1 PO 2 minutes away and another 5 minutes away. Really no excuse for him to sign in my name. For any right minded person, signing in my name would be the last resort anyway. If he gets punished (fined or even fired) then he's to blame. I will accept this from Parcelforce as the letter doesn't seem generic and directly answers what I said.... and its free money :D

If it was the other way around and you had sent vital information to a council, bank or other organisation and the driver signed for it, you would have a hell of time tracing the documents if the organisation denied that they had received them and no one had a clue who had signed for them..

• 1 month later...
I sent a complaint and the proof of delivery which I printed from their site and received this today:

vdlu12.jpg

Like the letter states, the driver could have delivered it to a neighbour (I have some each side of my house and thousands around, not too hard) or he could have popped it into the local Post Office. There's 1 PO 2 minutes away and another 5 minutes away. Really no excuse for him to sign in my name. For any right minded person, signing in my name would be the last resort anyway. If he gets punished (fined or even fired) then he's to blame. I will accept this from Parcelforce as the letter doesn't seem generic and directly answers what I said.... and its free money :D

So, you got £20 and that poor postie may well have lost his job! Is that fair? What if he has dependants to care for?

It's not like he was defrauding you, or even keeping the parcel for himself or selling it on was he?

It was put through your letter box so no-one else could get access to it, so it was delivered to the relevant address wasn't it?

Personally i don't see the problem, our postie often signs for us and leaves parcels in a safe place for which we are grateful as we lives miles from the nearest delivery office.

Shame on you i say

Yes, shame on me. but like I said he shouldn't have signed in my name. if I hadn't got the parcel, I would be defenceless. If he wanted to keep his job then maybe he should have did his bloody job correctly. There's millions of people unemployed, why should he do his work illegally and get away with it?

So, you got £20 and that poor postie may well have lost his job! Is that fair?

Yes, absolutely.

What if he has dependants to care for?

He should learn to do his job properly so that he doesn't risk losing it.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I sometimes think all this consumer activism is going a bit too far in some cases (especially this one) and also in the case of RLP where people are helping shoplifters get away with committing crimes, which in my opinion is far more serious than what that poor postie done.

Ive been on the receiving end of the bad customer service by the PO, where things have gone missing etc but i'd rather have your 'criminal' postie than most if that's the worst of his crimes.

Talk about bureaucracy gone mad, i'll say no more on the subject as i obviously have higher morals than some on this thread

Hello Callumsgran. In the face of the adversity you're facing, I just wanted to say I can see your point of view. It seems a shame that the postie didn't sign his own name though.

HB

Hi Honeybee, thanks!

Yes i quite agree he did wrong but was it so wrong?

As i said it's not like he 'copied' her signature to use at a later date for fraudulent purposes is it?

I get so sick of this do-good society we live in these days, why cant we have more of a live and let live attitude where there's no serious damage done?

Sorry but people who have nothing better to do than complain about everything really p*ss me off!

Hi Honeybee, thanks!

Yes i quite agree he did wrong but was it so wrong?

As i said it's not like he 'copied' her signature to use at a later date for fraudulent purposes is it?

I get so sick of this do-good society we live in these days, why cant we have more of a live and let live attitude where there's no serious damage done?

Sorry but people who have nothing better to do than complain about everything really p*ss me off!

And I agree with that (although im a he, but nevermind). The downside is, we can't. How do you know he wasn't going to use it for fraudulent purposes? How do you know he hasn't got copies of other people's credit cards? The world your thinking of doesn't exist unfortunately.

Yes, shame on me. but like I said he shouldn't have signed in my name. if I hadn't got the parcel, I would be defenceless. If he wanted to keep his job then maybe he should have did his bloody job correctly. There's millions of people unemployed, why should he do his work illegally and get away with it?

100% spot on.Just carry out the job correctly.My dealings with parcelforce see them in a shambolic light.A parcel was fraudently signed for and supposely left 2 doors away even though it should had only been to delivered to the addresse only.they have been no help whatsoever.

And I agree with that (although im a he, but nevermind). The downside is, we can't. How do you know he wasn't going to use it for fraudulent purposes? How do you know he hasn't got copies of other people's credit cards? The world your thinking of doesn't exist unfortunately.
He obviously didn't have a copy of your signature did he or he would've made a better forgery of it! :roll:

And actually it wasn't all that many years i lived in the world you say no longer exists but as you say unfortunately not now

This is a disgrace

yest the parcel force drive signed for the item

yes he posted it through the letter box

yes it saved you going into town

no, he should not have signed for it but the item was not lost ,damaged or stolen

we all make mistakes but for £20, the driver has prob lost his job and family to support

shame on you

ive had my say so cagboot me

• Haha 1

He obviously didn't have a copy of your signature did he or he would've made a better forgery of it! :roll:

And actually it wasn't all that many years i lived in the world you say no longer exists but as you say unfortunately not now

Talk to andybrock then say they should be allowed to forge a signature. The world didn't exist, you were just lucky or blind to the truth. Enough said, have a good night ;)

Talk to andybrock then say they should be allowed to forge a signature. The world didn't exist, you were just lucky or blind to the truth. Enough said, have a good night ;)
You are missing the point!

He didn't forge your signature, he wrote your name on his pod

I was neither blind to the truth or lucky, i grew up in a society where you could leave your key in the door overnight and everything would still be in place in the morning

So don't tell me it didn't exist, you don't know

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bump an ancient post (ha ha) but this is exactly what has just happened to me...

Except the result is that a parcel (it was tiny, 2 capacitors albeit sodding dear ones at £4 each) is now posted through the letterbox at my old address where I accidentally had the item sent (it was an old RS components account I had updated the invoice address on, but, crucially, not spotted the delivery address).

To compound things I have a written 'chat script' from RS promising they would halt / reverse the delivery (yeah right, but they promised it).

But if I report it, the guy will get in the poo, and assuming it's the same driver (bet it is) that used to do that when I was on nights I would hate it as he saved me a LOT of VERY long trips in years past, as being a terraced house straight onto the street there was no safe place nor no easily accessible back yard to leave stuff in... (nope not even the old wheelie bins trick they were somewhere else in a compound!)

Its a moral maze.... Especially as the parts are for a TV repair I'm doing for charity!!!

• 1 year later...

^^ditto - about an old thread. The only shame on anyone should be the shame of the driver forging the signature.

They did not write their own name, the "signature for delivery" is the signature of the person taking receivership of the item, so for the driver to write somebody elses name IS forging a signature whether it looks like it or not!

They're doing it to save themselves the bother of going next door or to a local post office. It's not to help you it's to help themselves.

I just had this happen to me last week.

The driver didn't come to the door, didn't leave a card, signed the delivery themselves (in my name) and then left the item in front of a neighbours garage! (thought it was my property).

The parcel (£100 of equipment) was then removed from that area either by the scrap iron van that came around the next day or some other opportunist theives (as the box was not plain and was cleary advertised on the outside what the content was).

Did the driver admit their mistake?

.. No, of course he didn't he hid behind the fact it had been signed for and tried to make out that the person he delivered to signed for the package and put it in front of the garage.

Luckily in this case I'd had a delivery by the same company a few days before and the signatures they had did not match and I could point out that I wouldn't sign for a delivery and leave it on a neighbours property as that was insane!

So there's the reason why this should not be allowed and should be made a fuss of.

Because if the item goes missing the evidence will look like YOU are at fault.

(This was Yodel by the way)