council tax bullying/court action

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4976 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

council tax billing me for old address

Hi,

I shard house with friend’s friend for couple of weeks(over 9 month ago ), When i moved to friends property i asked council tax office to amend my old address and contact me at new address . I told them im not the only person living here and made it clear that this is temporary move, however they registered me as resident of the new place and now that i moved out of that place they still billing and bullying me for not paying my bills , ( they billing me for next 15 month all together! ) , I have asked friends friend to take care of his property, but he is not phoning the council ltax, because if they do then they be liable and the CT office will chase them instead ...

Initially council tax asked for tenancy agreement but there was nothing signed between us...

They then asked me to write to them with landlord details and date i livid there which i did and provided them with friends details..

2 month later they still billing me and asking me to go to court and explain not paying my bills ..

After couple of phone calls
link3.gif
they then asked me for tenancy agreement from new landlord, I send them whatever i had ( informal tenancy agreement for a room which i lived in) + royal mail redirection letter confirmation ... now after 2 chase up ... they aksing for letter from new landlord to confirm the details of informal tenancy agreement ..( which im due to send them tomorrow)

Im fedup with their customer servie, every time I email or write to them it takes them 28 days to receive it and update their system and make up their mind about what comes next .. it seems as if they not trusting me and im stuck in a stressfull loop. I dont think if they should have put me on their system in first place! Also not happy with friends friend for not paying his tax... i still got his text messages saying he has phoned them but all lies ...

Can I take CT staff to court over this?my rent which i paid to friends friend included the tax and I only owned a room, so i was not meant to get billed for this property in first place... i phoned them and asked for manager but they didn’t put me through. I also liked to teach friends friend a lesson if possible.

its been 6 month since i left that property and CT is still not convinced that i dnt live in that address no more ... its the greatest stress i had in past 12 month.

Thanks for your support

The court appearance will be a liability hearing and not a proper court so no witness etc required. Just show up at the court at the time and date shown on the summons and you can tell the judge and show him the paperwork to prove you don't owe and he will decline the liability request. There will be a council rep there and my betting is that when you speak to (usually a her) that the claim against you will be deleted and won't get into the court for stamping.

This isn't the same a being summoned to court for a general debt, and no county court judgement is awarded against you or recorded.

But remember you must attend if you dispute it or it will go against you and that will make it harder for you to get is sorted especially when it has been handed over to bailiffs to collect.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the info, they have recieved my latest post and amended the account so I got billed for the period that i lived there only. but they also charging me about 57extra for late payment and stuff.I dnt think its my fault because I always responded to their bill in a timely manner, but they kept asking me for more and more documents each time which is why it has taken so long... I phoned them and said if I can pay the amount without fine I then put it in writing expaining why .. but they only accept full payment, i was adviced to pay full payment and then write to the headquater and follow up ...am I suppose to pay that exra fine ?

they are demanding for the money within next 14 days... and if I write to them it will take another 28 days for them to respond which is very annoying ..

they guy on the said he can see that i have always kept in touch and its all recorded on their system ... in the last email i recieved they apologized for late response as well.

this is too much bullying :(