No contact from council for over a month...then final demand comes through!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just received a final demand for over £1000 despite having paid every bill the council has sent me.

They usually send a letter every month, which I have paid at the town hall as soon as it arrives. This month nothing came through (no bill and no reminder) and today a final notice landed saying I had to pay the entire sum within 14 days.

I work long hours and my council don't have any phone lines open after 5pm. :-x

Can anyone help me decide what to do next to sort this out?

Edit: bill is for council tax

Edited by js281
clarification

The council wont send a bill each month , are you sure that you haven't been sent a reminder for late payment ?

I suspect that you received the initial bill and then susbequent reminders for late payment which has then led to you losing the right to instalments.

You will get a maximum of 2 reminders and 1 final notice before a Court Summons is issued.

• 4 months later...

I'm beginning to wonder if the council messed up and the bills you paid wern't being put onto your account due to error of the council's accounting. Its just that a council tax bill for £1000 appears to be the full bill without anything being reduced. When you didn't recieve the bill for the month, why didn't email the council since you work late hours and can't call them? Email them with transaction statements showing the council that you don't owe the full amount and they will reduce the bill accordingly with the payments you made. I hope since the months bill got lost in the post they will be compasionate and let you pay by installments. I pay in advance and i've paid until february. If you pay with online banking, you save yourself a visit to the town hall. I pay via bacs, but you can also pay by card. Do an online search and search for the name of your council online and it should deliver you a result, go to the council's website and find the option to pay your council bill with card, or email your council asking for the account number and sort code to which is available on the original bill. Who want's to go out in the cold?? :-) hope my advice helps.