• Tweets

• If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step. It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.        
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
    • UK travellers are being caught out by post-Brexit passport rules.   When do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule? WWW.BBC.COM UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.                                   
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Creditor sent default and told me I was on an agreement to pay for 3 months on the same day

Craigbadger
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4923 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Strange. I received a letter from Ulster last weds dated 22nd which I didnt take much notice of thinking it was a default sums. Today I read it and basically it was a response to a letter I wrote asking them to accept reduced payments. In simple terms they accepted my proposal and informed me that it would be entered as an arrangement to pay on my credit report. Then this monday I receive a default notice also dated 22nd.

Am I being dense here or does this not make sense?, the notice seems defective giving me 17 days and not first class. But surely they have contradicted themselves here.

I know its normal to be defaulted on an repayment plan but can you be defaulted and on an arrangement to pay at the same time?. I though that showed on the same bit.

Edited by Craigbadger

A default occurs when the relationship between the creditor and debtor breaks down ie you go into arrears. The Information Commissioner's guidelines on whether or not a default should be entered whilst there is an arrangement to pay state that it should depend on the what ratio the arranged payment is of the scheduled payment eg if it is only a small payment then this can be recorded as a default. You can read the ICO's guide to filing defaults on their website under the Data Protection Act section.

If you want your DN checked, scan it and post it on here and we will take a look.

Thanks, its £40 a month arrangement against a debt of £1700. I think the minimum was usually about £55. However it is £70 in arrears and over limit by £60.

Heres the default notice, I did post in another thread and there was some discussion on the delivery method "S". Appears to be a wholesale service. However the fact the 2 letter I received are dated the 22nd, and the default was days behind leaves me fairly sure it isnt a first class service.

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af299/badgercraig/ulster/ulsterdn.jpg

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af299/badgercraig/ulster/ulsterenvelope.jpg

They were very quick to enter a default when you are paying most of the scheduled repayment monthly. I would write to them and point out what the ICO guidelines say and ask them to remove the default or you will make a formal complaint to the ICO.

There is no provision in either the CCA 1974 (as amended in 2006) or the Credit Agreements (Enforcement,Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 for time to remedy a breach in a DN to be given as a number of days. In fact between both Acts it is specified no less than 5 times that a date for remedy must be a specific date. You will notice underneath it states "by the date shown" - what is that date? You don't know - they didn't specify a date. Sit on it and wait to see if they terminate then you can claim repudiation of contract for terminating after sending an unlawful Default Notice. That means that they can only claim arrears once they have terminated. This is non-legal advice. A court may take a different view but I have halted 3 banks in their tracks by raising this argument.

• 4 weeks later...

About 3 weeks ago I sent a cca and a sar to Ulster, today theyve returned the cca letter with my postal order. I had missed a letter off the account number.

Will they still do the sar?, I had used the same template as a base for the 2 so the personal details were the same. Theyve not cashed the cheque but its only a 3 year old ccount so maybe they wont?

From what I gather its info on my name rather than account.

Account has been unlawfully terminated anyway now. Was just using the cca req as a delaying tactic.

Thanks.

:)

if the a/c has been terminated the wont issue a cca anyhow as there is no agreement.

just hope its included in the sar then.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 months later...

Hi.

Basically Triton are writing to me regarding an Ulster balance. It was only opened in 2008 however Ulster admitted in an SAR request that they have absolutely no documentation from when the account was opened. No agreement, ticked print offs or anything.

Tritons letters are getting a bit heavier, probably nothing but the latest one says they have

"now recommended solicitors be instructed to commence court proceedings"

which is a have rather than may.

Its not a huge balance but I could do without the hassle tbh at the moment and cant at present afford anything.

Anyone give me something to put in a letter to get them off my back for a while?, surely Ulster have defaulted the SAR by not sending any agreement or opening documentation and they did state they couldnt find anything after an extensive search.

Theyve continued to update my credit report which I presume is without my consent if no agreement exists.

Thanks in advance. :?:

I thought this.

How shocking is it though that such a recent account they dont have paperwork for.

Am I right in thinking that with such a recent agreement they dont need a signed agreement as they would with an earlier 1 but would still need proof that I had agreed and consented to the terms?

Triton in NI is a couple of youths in Ulster Bank's offices in Stranmillis, Belfast, but the letters often come from the mainland.

There is no bulk claim issuing centre in NI, and Ulster Bank know that if a claim is issued in NI they'll have to supply any documents they intend to rely on with the claim papers. If they haven't got this, they're knackered.

Were there any screenshots or other documents included in the SAR which had any 'tick' boxes?

Absolutely nothing. All there was, was statements since the start of the account, a letter I wrote and the following letter

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af299/badgercraig/ubsarorlackof.jpg

Send the idiots a copy of that letter along with this;

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account no

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

Re: my request under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Thank you for your letter dated ........, the contents of which are noted

Your attention is drawn to the fact that this account is subject to a serious dispute. On ......... I requested that ........... supply me a copy of the credit agreement covering this account pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974 section 78. To date ........... have failed to comply with my request. Without production of the said agreement I am unable to assess if I am indeed liable for any alleged debt to .............., nor does it give me any chance to evaluate whether any original agreement was ‘properly executed’ as required by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

For the avoidance of any doubt I have included section 78(1) and 78(6) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, which states…

78 Duty to give information to debtor under running-account credit agreement

(1) The creditor under a regulated agreement for running-account credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of [£1], shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it, together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer,—

(a) the state of the account, and

(b) the amount, if any, currently payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor, and

© the amounts and due dates of any payments which, if the debtor does not draw further on the account, will later become payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor.

(6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;

Clearly as no agreement was supplied on request, this in no way complies with the requirements of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and I now draw your attention to section 78 subsection 6 which states If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;

Clearly this is a situation as described in S.78(6) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the debt is unenforceable at this time. In addition, I draw your attention to section 127 (3) Consumer Credit Act 1974 which states

127(3) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a)(signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner).

This is backed by case law from the Lords of Appeal in Ordinary (House of Lords) the highest court in the land. Your attention is drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the consumer credit act 1974 the agreement cannot be enforced.

To clarify S.61(1) states

(1)A regulated agreement is not properly executed unless—

(a) a document in the prescribed form itself containing all the prescribed terms and conforming to regulations under section 60(1) is signed in the prescribed manner both by the debtor or hirer and by or on behalf of the creditor or owner, and

(b) the document embodies all the terms of the agreement, other than implied terms, and

© The document is, when presented or sent to the debtor or hirer for signature, in such a state that all its terms are readily legible

In addition the prescribed terms referred to in section 60 CCA1974 are contained in schedule 6 column 2 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and are inter alia: - A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit, A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement and A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following—

1.Number of repayments;

2.Amount of repayments;

3.Frequency and timing of repayments;

4.Dates of repayments;

5.The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable.

The above terms are inflexible and are backed up by case law:

McGinn v Grangewood Securities Ltd; Court of Appeal 23 April 2002 3 All ER 145; 105 Solicitor’s Journal 588

Wilson and others v Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (at Court of Appeal, known as Wilson v First County Trust) House of Lords 10 July 2003

London North Securities v Meadows (Supreme Court of Judicature Court of Appeal) 14 June 2005; Dimond v Lovell(2002) 1 AC 384

Wilson and another v Hurstanger Ltd ((In The Supreme Court Of Judicature Court of Appeal (Civil Division) 4 April 2007))

Bank of Scotland – v Mitchell 1 June 2009 – Leeds County Court Case 9LS70096 before HH Judge Langan Q.C.

Therefore based upon the Consumer Credit Act 1974 this debt as it stands is unenforceable and should this proceed to litigation, a court is precluded from making an enforcement order under section 127(3) unless a true copy of the signed agreement is produced..

At the point where this account entered into the default situation as described in s78 (6) CCA 1974 no other charges are allowed to be added until such time as ............... become compliant with my request. As ................ are still not in compliance with my request I insist that the following takes place with immediate effect

All entries which refer to missed payments be removed from my credit file

All collection activities cease with immediate effect until ............. comply with my request from .date........... or such time as a court makes an enforcement order

In addition, I draw your attention to the Office of Fair Trading’s guidance on debt collection

The OFT guidance which was issued July 2003 (updated December 2006) relating to debt collections and what the OFT considers unfair, I have enclosed an excerpt from page 5 of the guidance which states

2.6 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

h. Ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment

What I Require.

I require that you send me a true copy of the executed agreement as required by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. If you are unable to supply the requested documentation because no such agreement is in existence I require written clarification as such.

I require that you comply with my request within 7 days of the date of this letter. I will not correspond any further with you until I either receive a copy of the requested documents as laid down in section 78(1) CCA 74 or clarification that such agreement doesn’t exist. I am advised that should you persist in pursuing this debt ignoring the above information you will be in breach of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 section 40 as well

No other correspondence will be accepted

Should you attempt litigation it will be vigorously defended and the failure to supply documentation under the CCA 1974 is a complete defence to any legal action and your actions will be vexatious and unlawful

I trust this out lines the situation

Print name do not sign.