Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Hacked_Off Novitiate Hacked_Off Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : May 2009

Default Council tax summons

Not sure if this is the right place but yeah. I recieved a notice telling me iowed 98 council tax. The letter said to "come in to make an arrangment if u cant pay in full". So i made an appointment and went in. I was told to "let it go to court theres nothing we can do" . I asked why it says on the letter to cme i to make an arrangment "its a standard letter"

So today ive recieved the following:

" Total Due : 881.93

The city council has complained that you have not paid the aove amount Outstanding in respect of council tax levied by the city council.

you are theefore summoned to appear before magistates court to show why you have not paid the said amount and why a liability order should not be made against you.If you do not appear you will be proceeded against as if you had appeared and be dealt with according to la.

If the amount outstanding plus the cost of the summons is paid before the day of the court hearing al proceedings will be stopped. If not a liability order will be made againt you by the court and you will incur further charges of 12.00.

PLease read the enclosed leaflet carefully.

I wish to know how much you can afford to pay to clear your outstanding debt to the City council. I will take into account your income and essential outgoings in agreeing an amount you will be expected to pay. If you are unable to attend at my office or experience difficulty in contacting my staff by telephone please complete this statement of means to me at the address given over the page prior to the court hearing "

Im quite terrified by this. I recieved two seperate letters in te same envelope both with different amounts im supposed to pay each week. Ive been in several times and asked how much am i supposedto pay? and been told "its on the letter". Ive only just recieved the payment card ive asked for 7 times!!!!

Royalties Account Holder ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom's Avatar

Default Re: Council tax summons

If you've received 2 separate amounts it sounds as if you have more than 1 liability order against you. You need to contact the Council and ask:
    1 - how many Liability Orders they have
    2 - what periods of time they cover
    3 - is it for more than 1 address
    4 - how much is owing on each one
    5 - how much is outstanding on each one

The problem you may face is that if you make no payment then they will pass it to the Bailiffs for enforcement and that will possibly subject you to more expense and hassle.

PT

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Hacked_Off Novitiate Hacked_Off Novitiate

Default Re: Council tax summons

The first letter was for 98 and said if it was not cleared in 7days the the ful amount for the year would need to be paid. I did go in like it stated on the first letter to "make an arrangement" but i was basically told to go away!!

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details