Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder Johnny1978 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jun 2009

Default Have I had a CCJ???

Hi there,

I'm quite worried that I've had a CCJ, but can't be sure. This sounds ridiculous, granted, but it happened over my council tax in 2004.

I split with my partner, registered for council tax, but no letter arrived. The council said they'd sent it- they hadn't. i wrote letters, emails and chased them, but found out later that they had been billing ME for MY council tax at my partners address! They carried on doing it and it was quite an acrimonious split from my partner and he was not passing on my mail. I was only 20 at the time, and when I left the house, thinking no more of it and moved back to my parents for uni, one day a bailiff turned up at my house demanding 800 of council tax. I was so scared that i paid this out of my student loan!

Now, i look back and think, hang on- can a bailiff come to your house WITHOUT a CCJ? I'm awaiting my credit report, but i'm worried about this. I never saw ANY paperwork from the council, so would never know what had happened! Does this sound to you like a CCJ, or can a council order bailiffs from a DCAicon?

x

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

Default Re: Have I had a CCJ???

urm...thinks your getting your knickers in a a twist here.

councils get liability orders [not CCJ's]- that results in the bailiffs if you dont pay [and sadly i bet you were well fleeced by the bailiff here but hay ho]

bailffs are NOTHING to do withDCA's [debt collectionicon agencies]

bailiffs are assigned by a court after it has been to court and have powers etc issued to them [though they nearly always fleece you on illegal fees]

DCA's have NO LEGAL POWERS WHATSOEVER
    and can only send threat-o-grams or be a pest on the phone .
    they can do NOTHING to you.
    but sadly fleece you even more if you let them.

HTH

dx

Ah- see, a week ago i was asked if i'd ever had a CCJ i thought, no! Then afterwards thought..hang on... what was that?

Given all this, do you think that the council served a liability order on me then? Is this, in credit terms, as bad as a ccj? When will it expire? Thank you!

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

doesn't show at all

dx

Thanks! it's put my mind to rest! x

Royalties Account Holder Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff's Avatar

Cagger since : Mar 2007

Nope - it's not recorded at the court nor any credit reference agency.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details