• Tweets

• ROFL - says a minister of the government that lets its politicians promote their agendas unchallenged and well paid on the UK's version of Russia Today translated UK deputy PM launches global push to mask their election rigging "The UK is following Russia and China on a government minister and MP led process to get paid vast sums to put our message out to the plebs unchallenged, funded via right wing billionaires, AI from foreign states, and misuse of taxpayer money.   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • Yes, but the process starts here... https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/data-protection-complaints/what-to-expect/ This involves making a complaint to GS first before approaching ICO. However, at the time of the complaint, I beleive we'd advise the complainant to ask for some compensation and take it from there. @FTMDave?? No, I meant this forum, The Consumer Action Group, where you're posting right now.😄 (We're in the slow process of rebranding as The National Consumer Service.)
    • And yes, they state their client is EON and that they can return the debt to EON who can either register a default or take me to court. 
    • Thank you. The npower debt was from 2019/2020 until EON took over the account late 2021.   npower had set a DCA on me even though I owed them nothing. I spoke to a customer service agent, following up by email, who confirmed I was in credit . I made a complaint to head office who sent a barrage of emails, changing the amounts each time. According to them, I owed £279.   The debt grew to what it is now as first npower and then EON subsequently failed to put a payment arrangement and direct debit in place to pay off this supposed sum and my ongoing bills.   I was very ill with Covid, struggling in lockdown with a disabled child and informed them of all this.   EON stopped their legal action when I took them to the ombudsman as this was part of my complaint and requested remedy but I have not received a notice of discontinuance.    I would like to set up my own dd to pay them off but am concerned they could still take legal action. I am on a low income and can’t afford to pay them more than a token amount each month.   
    • Thank you guys! @lookinforinfo thank you for the case, it seem to similar with my case which is gold. @Nicky Boy shouldn't be ICO?   Personal data breaches: a guide ICO.ORG.UK   For CAG I found this  The Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) is an independent body which provides expert advice on the use of confidential patient information. This includes providing advice to us, the Health Research Authority (HRA) for research uses. It also provides advice to the Secretary of State for Health for non-research uses.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Comments on Extended Warranties

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

1. Extended warranties seem almost to be as normal a part of the product line of most electrical retailers as are the electrical products which intended to be their principal subject of business.
  2. Extended warranties are intended to supplement or extend the existing one year warranty which is provided free of charge by all electrical suppliers.
  3. Consumers are already protected in their purchases by the provisions of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). S.14 particularly seeks to provide consumers with protection against product breakdown for a reasonable period of time. This statutory protection cannot be contracted out of by the supplier of the goods.
  4. By and large it is possible to say that the cover provided by extended warranties and the protection provided by statute overlap and are extremely similar. The only discernible difference is that where a product breaks down because of misuse rather than because it is not of "satisfactory quality", then statutory protection will not afford any comfort for the consumer. This probably occurs only in a minority of cases.
  5. The conclusion is that extended warranties have become a device by which consumers are persuaded to pay for cover which they already have under statute. By this means, manufacturers and suppliers have been able to shed their responsibilities under the Sale of Goods Act.
  6. Extended warranties are now such an established part of electrical (and other) retailing that they have produced a culture which has replaced reliance upon statutory rights to the extent that consumers no longer understand that they have such rights at all. Indeed the extended warranty phenomenon is so insidious that even retail staff at all levels believe that a consumer who has not purchased an extended warranty has no right to make a claim for repair or replacement of expensive electrical equipment even only 1 day after the expiry of the standard one-year warranty. Even when selling extended warranty cover, staff do not explain statutory rights to the consumer and indeed are incapable of doing so. If asked about them, they are insistent that consumers are only covered by a standard one-year warranty: this is misinformation.

Summary

It seems quite unfair that in principle the public are being asked to pay quite large sums for breakdown cover which they already have under the Sale of Goods Act. Reciprocally it seems quite unfair that retailers and suppliers are able to escape their statutory responsibilities under cover of the extended warranty system.

The fact that extended warranties are so commonplace among electrical retailers has helped consumers to lose sight of their statutory rights. This is assisted by a lack of understanding and misinformation on the part of the retailers who in their turn seem to have lost sight of their statutory obligations - on the shop floor, at any rate..

From an economic point of view it seems likely that manufacturers will have a greater incentive to produce or retailers to stock quality goods where they are obliged by statute to bear the cost of repairs and replacements themselves. The extended warranty system allows the cost of such repairs or replacements to be shifted to the shoulders of the consumer in addition to providing a profit for the seller of the warranty - the retailer.

This can not be an equitable situation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evidence Supplied by Bankfodder to the Investigation on Extended Warranties conducted by Competition Commission in 2003

Are we paying through the nose for unnecessary warranties? - desensitising the Consumer

There is an altogether more serious, insidious and completely ignored effect of the trend which has developed in the last 15 years or so of purchasing additional warranties as part of consumer-product packages.

Consumer legislation at least since 1979 has imposed a duty upon retailers that the goods which they sell must be of merchantable quality. This requirement has more recently been mainly re-badged so that goods must now be "satisfactory". This has been taken by the courts to mean that a product must work and must remain working for a reasonable period of time. On the basis that the courts are unlikely to expect consumers to re-invest £500 or so every couple of years or even three or four years in a new television or washing machine or what have you or much larger sums in a motorcar, nor have to spend substantial sums on keeping those products working during those first few years of use, it is reasonable to say that most Consumers are already adequately protected by Consumer legislation and certainly well beyond the perceived norm of the "1 year guarantee".

The routine selling of extended warranties has reduced consumer awareness to a point where purchasers now typically resign themselves to their fate when their fridge freezer breaks down a year and a day after purchase and curse themselves for not having availed themselves of an additional warranty at the time they bought the thing. So insidious and complete is the new culture that even shop staff including managers, and even Head Office Customer Service departments have no knowledge of consumer statutory rights and will in all honesty inform their customers that after a year all of their rights will have expired without the purchase of extra insurance. If one attempts to explain to a shop sales attendant that "I expect the shop to remain responsible for at least two or three years, so no thank you", one is viewed aggressively and with disbelief.

The extended warranty has produced an unmerited benefit of a £500 million per annum market for insurers. It has reduced pressure on manufacturers to maintain the quality of longevity in their products. It has reduced incentives for retailers to insist on the highest standards of production as both of these two parties are freed from the burden of having to bear the cost and inconvenience of providing replacements and repairs.

The victim of course is the consumer who by accident or design has been foisted with a con by a very willing triumvirate of producer, retailer and insurer. The con, of course is not merely an over-priced insurance cover but that the consumer has now been brainwashed into thinking that without such a cover there is no other solution.

It is in this way that the extended warranty is an expensive rip-off yet this aspect is never remarked upon by any commentator including The Times and this further demonstrates how complete the new culture of consumer unawareness has become. There needs to be a re-awakening of the Consumer sense of the Consumer Right and the problem that the OFT and the Competition Commission really need to consider is the problem of the selling of duplicate rights.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submiited by Bankfodder as a letter for publication by The Times in 2003 but never published

• BankFodder unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks