• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part used for testing (and ours reinstalled) as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, My mom has just received a letter from Atos asking her to telephone to arrange a medical (within 2 days of receipt of letter).

Now my mom is in no state to be calling them, we are dealing here with severe mental health issues and she doesnt speak to anyone, she doesnt even know we have a letter!

She has recently been referred to the Mental Health Team and we are awaiting contact from them.

When the questionnaire arrived, a local agency helped me complete the form on my mom's behalf and they said she will need a home visit if a medical is needed.

The Job Centre recently wrote regarding a 'back to work' meeting,

I called them and explained the situ and they called me on the day of my mom's appointment and I explained to them that my mom could not speak with them, they were great and said they would do the same thing next time they needed another one of these meetings.

y worry now is, how do I handle the telephone call when I ring Atos, any suggestions.

I notice on another thread that maybe I should have enclosed a letter with my mom's questionnaire asking for details of the 'qualified healthcare professional' who is assessing my mothers questionnaire.

Any help is greatfully received.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you put that on the form and back that up with a doctors letter explaining the difficulties your mum would have if it was not at home?

Sorry just read the above again >>> could you ring and ask the doctors to provide you one for back up say for tomorrow pick up? Maybe be speak to the GPs practice manager.

It would have to explain why they think that and that they consider a taxi not an option.

Be warned they might insist or try and get you to use a taxi to get there anyway.

Have a look here as there's some useful advice.

Rightsnet discussion forum - Viewing topic #4421 - Client on IB asked to go to medical assessment out of the blue

i can't really help but you seem to have a good grasp of what your doing. with regards the details of the decision maker, qualification ect, I would phone the DWP and ask for that info before you make the appointment with atos, I'd back that up with a letter making ref to the phone call.

This is what i'd do, i'm certainly no expert, but based on what i've read that would seem to be the best course. I'm sure someone with more expierence will be along to give more solid advice soon.

Rbs £114 + contractual at 29.84% I won total=£125 no laughing it's a win

Don't moan about it DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT :D

Thanks for your replies. We did say on the questionnaire that my mom would probably require a home visit and I'm sure her GP would write a letter of support. I am worried about ringing them for an appointment, could really do with some tips of how to handle the call and what do I say about a medical expert viewing the questionnaire and deciding my mom needs this medical. Please advise me folk on how to handle thems!!!

Hello joeblogs,

make an immediate appointment (preferably a home visit) with your mum's G.P. and obtain a med. certificate (sick note) to state that she is to refrain from all activities, including dealing with people, interviews and going outside.

If you can, get the doc to put "Expires: until further notice", otherwise a couple of weeks would be helpful.

If you have to send anything to the 'A'TOSsers, be sure to keep a copy for yourself.

There are guidelines on who, can or cannot be, forced or asked to attend the medical centres for the exam. See the following link and use the edit/find (in top bar of firefox, I.Explorer etc.) to get to the phrase, "Unsuitable for calling to a Medical Examination Centre" (paste without the quote marks).

DWP Atos Healthcare Medical Services Contract

The website above also contains 'shed-loads' of useful information relating to ESA.

Next it would be advisable to urgently ask the G.P. for a consultant psychiatrist, neurologist or whatever consultant is needed to make a full clinical diagnoses and report.

Kind regards,

Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Hi loan ranger, thank for your advice. She saw her GP about 3 weeks ago and he gave her one of these new fit notes signing her off sick for 3 months, I sent the original to ESA and kept a copy. She was seen by a counsellor yesterday and never uttered a word to him and he has referred her to the mental health team. As I have got a copy of the 'fit note' do I need anything else from the doctor, should I get something in writing from the counsellor and what do I say to Atos when I call them? Thanks

Hi there. Sorry I don't know the answers to your Atos questions, but if your mum is going to the mental health team, it could be a great thing for her. When I was in the depths of despair with institutions all around me saying I was fine when I wasn't, the NHS team were my salvation.

I hope it's the same for your mum. And she's lucky to have you on her side.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

@ joeblogs,

phone the 'A'TOSsers, mention the "well note" (effing 1984ish nu-liebou® newspeak if you ask me). Tell them the DWP/A'TOSH contract says home visit and threaten to sue them for "Tort of Negligence" for forcing your mum to undergo the exam which is going to exacerbate her mental ill health at the present time.

You must keep a paper trail of all your dealings with the 'A'TOSers so email their "customer services" (you'll find the email on this page) and give full details of the "Arrange Appointment" phone conversation, who, when, which centre and what was said by whom.

As I have got a copy of the 'fit note' do I need anything else from the doctor, should I get something in writing from the counsellor
Letters from Doctors usually cost money because this is outside of their NHS remuneration, a counsellor's letter may help but it doesn't mean A'TOSh will take any notice of it. If the 3 month well note covers the bases I mentioned earlier (dealing with people, interviews and going outside) then fine, otherwise it's up to you to make a judgement call, remember - benefits are very easily stopped and a nightmare to get re-instated because they hold all the cards. You just have to read the ESA threads in this forum to see that dealing with ESA/ATOS is somewhat akin to entering a den of vipers, so make sure to have a paper trail by sending emails of all phone conversations with the 'A'TOSsers.

Regards,

Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Well said HB, if these are your pearls of wisdom then your domain is a pearl garden. The CMHT floating support were a saviour for my Niece too, and i so agree with not unduly worrying someone like joeblogs' mum in the situation.

Regards, Paul.

Oh thanks so much to all you kind folk, will let you know tomorrow how I get on with these morons and I will defo email their so called customer services. Thanks all
Well thank-you joeblogs, in the course of my research in order to find the med centre test exclusions I discovered that my medical condition was on the list - no more A'TOSh for me!

'scuse me while I kiss the sky.

Please do keep us all updated, good luck and kind regards to you both,

Paul.

@ joe I would advise you to ignore absolutely everything written previously in this thread as it complete and utter bollox! I'm sorry but most of this is subjective drivel which is extremely likely to get you into serious trouble and difficulties if followed.

Unlike what has been stated by LR both my doctor and counsellor have provided me with excellent supporting letters free of charge in fact they bent over backwards and included exactly what we had discussed needed to be in them too! Most do when asked!

The decision is not made by ATOS it is made by a DWP Decision Maker (DM) who uses the evidence you have provided and the evidence gathered by ATOS (for them) to make it.

You really need to start as a matter of urgency gathering as much medical evidence from the counsellor and doctor to support your case as possible. Unless you provide this evidence how is a 3rd party like the DM who decides it supposed to know how it is really effecting her? Whilst what you say is good these peoples opinion carry a lot more weight.

If you are unsure of how get this ask the GP's practice manager for her advice and assistance. All evidence if you can should be in the format in my opinion due to condition X Ms Y would not be able to do A, B, C & D.

I see 3 issues with the original question the "call for interview";

1, you have failed to provide enough evidence to satisfy the need for a home medical. You need to get (as advised in my earlier post) a note from the doctor explaining why in their opinion she should be seen at home. Hopefully they will reconsider when they see this. (you need this asap I'd even suggest faxing it to them.)

2, if this is not accepted and the medical goes ahead due to your mums condition she may be accused of non participation if she refuses to speak. Ask the councillor or doctor to include this in a note as well.

3, what happens if she does not get the home visit & cannot go to the medical?

This is really vital as 2&3 will result in it being passed to a DM for a ruling so you need medical evidence to back you up.

You also need to be specific/clear on what medical/assessment she is being asked to attend is it the 1st one to decide "Limited Capacity for Work" or has this been ruled on in her favour and you are now facing the second one the "limited capability for work-related activity assessment" which decide which groups she goes in.

Before you call ATOS call your welfare rights place for help!

As unless you can persuade them to change their mind or find away to delay them to get your evidence together the next thing to land on the door mat will be the letter with the appointment date and time in it.

Disclaimer: this all needs checked by the Site Team here and your own welfare rights advisor. This is based on my research and knowledge to date as I'm currently applying for a home visit on similar grounds for ESA.

The short answer is that both lots of advice can be followed, but with the below in mind:

Although your mother has the right to request a home medical, they can refuse this - although they should not do so unreasonably.

Although you can request that ATOS furnish you with the qualifications of the person who will be performing the assessment, this will not affect the decision to refer her for a medical. This is a request for information. If your mother fails to attend an arranged appointment and a DM decides that she did so without good cause, they can terminate her benefit. It is unlikely to be considered "good cause" failing to attend a medical whilst awaiting information on the assessors qualifications, as a claimant is obliged to attend an assessment with ATOS if required, to assess their capacity thus their entitlement to that benefit; it is not specified within ESA regulations that a claimant should be provided with the qualifications of assessors, nor is it specified that the claimant can take the decision to not attend the medical if not provided with this information prior to the medical, or if he/she decides that the person is not suitably qualified to assess her. She could of course, attempt to fight that she has "good cause" but the risk of this is loss of her benefit. And it is a very high risk.

Re Loanranger's quote on NHS professionals' letters/reports. He is absolutely correct. In accordance with their NHS contracts, an NHS professional is not obliged to write letters or reports for claimants in support of their claims to benefit out with the sick certificates and reports requested by DWP. Proving these letters/reports to their patients directly falls under the umbrella of private practice. They can therefore refuse to provide a letter/report, or they can agree to provide one but charge for it. However, as Speedfreak quotes, some NHS professionals will happily provide you with a letter of support or a report free of charge without hassle. You can only but ask, just bear in mind that under their contracts they are not obliged to and can refuse if they choose to do so. If they are happy to assist, ask for the matters to be included that Speedfreak has referred to - that's good advice re the outlining of a home medical and mutism.

Given what you have said about your mum's state of mind here:

Now my mom is in no state to be calling them, we are dealing here with severe mental health issues and she doesnt speak to anyone, she doesnt even know we have a letter! She has recently been referred to the Mental Health Team and we are awaiting contact from them.

I would strongly advise you, to make enquiries about becoming your mother's appointee for benefits purposes. Whilst your mother has no appointee, the DWP can refuse to deal with you, and though they should utilise the guidance of "implicit consent" this often doesn't materialise. Everything will have to be signed by your mother and she will have to manage her claim; every responsibility falls on her. If she had an appointee, that person becomes responsible for everything to do with her benefit claim. An appointee will have all correspondance issued to them rather than the claimant, is responsible for making claims and enquiries and reporting changes of circumstances on the claimant's behalf. If your mother recouperates to a stage where she is able to manage her own affairs again, the appointee can be relinquished, returning the managing of the claim to the claimant. If you wish to do this, contact ESA and make enquiries about this. Explain the limits of your mother's abilities to currently manage her affairs and they will assist you through the process. If accepted (and there is rarely an issue with an appointee application being accepted where the person has clear difficulty in managing their affairs), the appointee's details will be entered on to the computer system so that it is on record that the claimant has an appointee.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

ESA club rules OK

Hi Joe, Sorry about your Mum's situation. I went for my Work Capability Assessment with Atos in March, and they tried to stop me from making notes! When I insisted on writing things down, they terminated the WCA on some fake excuse. They are a very sinister and evasive company. It took them 9 weeks to refund my £2.40 travelling expenses and my complaints are still ongoing. They lied to DWP and got my ESA benefit stopped and it was only the reasoableness of DWP that got my money back on. My tips would be: Avoid telephone contact if possible; keep copies of all letters; have someone accompany your Mum to any meetings. For background on Atos look at http://www.whywaitforever.com/dwpatos.html (not my website, but a very good one). If I can give any advice, post a reply to this and I'll help if I can. Good luck with things.

Edited by Yet_Another_Atos_Victim
To correct weblink

Hello Yet_Another_Atos_Victim and welcome to the CAG forums and the unofficial "ESA Club" as some of us victims of the 'A'TOSsers like to call ourselves from time to time.

Yes I must agree with you on how useful and informative a site whywaitforever is, FYI the owner of the site has the CAG username mikebach, read his post here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/256835-how-do-i-reply.html#post2894102

his email address was removed (site rules disallow emails to deter spammers) however clicking on his username will bring up his CAG webmail contact email.

As you may be aware already, Mike is very poorly and his "off days" may interfere with him responding to all messages.

Talking of site rules, you may find that the site team may remove the link which you put in your post, reason: its a commercial page (the top level of Mike's domain) which is used for his SEO biz, I think that what you really meant to post was this link: DWP ESA Medical Examinations Perhaps you may wish to edit the link (in your post) yourself so that your post will still make sense by not having the link removed by the CAGBot.

That said, thank-you for your help and support and long may it continue,

Kind regards,

Paul.

Edited by loan_ranger
syntax

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your kind feedback, and for the info about Mike, whose amazing site I stumbled on from googling 'Atos'. Your link to 'How Do I Reply...' was very useful so thanks for that too.

After posting the original link I checked it and found myself on a different page than the one I remembered so I edited it to include the http:// bit and the dwpatos.html ending but thanks for that also.

I found CAG a week or two ago and didn't look at it properly and it's only tonight I've found so many Atos posts. I've been lucky enough to have worked for 30 years and have contributed to 'the system' all that time, obviously. At a time when the (ex) Minister for DWP got paid £141,000 a year it seems hypocrital to begrudge sick and vulnerable people £65.45 a week. It also seems very upside down logic to mess about the very taxpayers who are paying Atos' £500 million 7+ year contract, whereas the savings by not paying these useless leaches would provide funds for a great many genuine, oppressed, sick folk. (Sorry - soapbox bit over lol).

One good thing has come out of it from my perspective - it's made me determined to do what many on CAG are also doing...to help others in the same boat.

Thanks again, Paul for your welcome to the ESA Club.

Best Wishes, John

Good morning everyone, I am absolutely overwhelmed by all your support and kindnes and cannot thank you all enough. To be honest I am dreading today as the Atos letter said I (my mom) has to call them within 2 days and the time is up today. Please give me an idiots guideline of what to do. I know some people have said write, but the letter clearly says to call. These are the actions I was thinking of doing before the call: 1. Call DIAL (who helped complete the questionnaire) 2. Speak to the counsellor and ask for letter 3. Speak to GP 4. Speak to ESA and ask to be made appointee and appeal to their better nature to postpone a medical. I am absolutely terrified of bungling this up and need a blog on what to say to Atos, or after making the above enquiries, should I write to their office instead? Please, please help me I have hardly slept all night worrying and now have to go and deal with my mom which is yet another worry for me. Thanks to you all you are all angels

Hi there and thanks for the nice things you said. We'd all better get our haloes out and start polishing them

:).

You seem to be thinking straight to me. You're going to have to do it today, aren't you? Personally, I would call. You'll have realised that these people are never wrong, and myself, I wouldn't risk possible sanctions.

Have you written out this sequence for yourself as a sort of crib sheet? I find them helpful when my brain is just whirring around.

Does your phone or your mobile have a way of recording the conversation? I know a lot do.

If not, write it down [what Atos say] as you're speaking in heading form, or straight afterwards in proper sentences, while you remember what is said. If you can, get the name of the person you speak to and if you think you need confirmation in writing, ask for it.

Good luck, please come back with more questions or let us know how it goes. You'll be OK, get it over with.

HB xxx

Illegitimi non carborundum

One little note on making the call: It is better to try calling them in the morning. First time I attempted calling them was in the afternoon and was kept on hold for 55 minutes at which point I hung up. Tried in the morning and the waiting time was less than 20 minutes.

Morning :)

There is no real idiots guide just do your best.

Erika as usual has come up with some stellar advice. :doffs cap:

I know you're worried but don't panic.

You've done OK so far! So just ask all parties what they suggest then go for it.

Although my post might seam alarming it's a what could happen so you need to cover yourself and be prepared for it. They may take one look at your mum end the medical after a few mins and that's the end of it ESA awarded.

Now that you've triggered the interview

* Do you know which one it is for yet? It should say on the letter you got sent. *

if you do not call them they will automatically send out an appointment letter once that deadline has passed. There is no "right of appeal" (in a court sense) but you'll have to get a shift on (which is why I suggested faxing the letter to ATOS & DWP) asking for them to reconsider.

Although not set in stone as a rule in thumb you should look at the medical date as when you need to have any supporting evidence in. You need to allow around 2 weeks for any evidence sent to the DWP by post to get to the right place. You can also give this evidence to the person taking the medical as they are obliged to accept it, copy it and pass it on to the DWP.

As said already always send a copy and keep originals safe.

Hi everyone, the letter just says 'We have been asked by the DWP to carry out a medical assessment in relation to your claim/appeal to ESA/NI Credits.'

It doesnt say what medical it intends to undertake.