20 May 2010 – Government response to Households Below Average Income figures

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5084 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'd just like to make everyone aware of the latest government statistics on household poverty.

The number of people in working-age poverty is the highest since records began.
Government response to households below average income figures - DWP

Thanks,

Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

The Joseph Rowntree Foundation suggested these amounts in 2009:

Based on views of members of the public, a single person in Britain needs to earn at least £13,900 a year before tax in 2009, in order to afford a basic but acceptable standard of living. A couple with two children need to earn £27,600.

I'm still google-ing for HMG's take, I know it's out there somewhere though the Archdiocese of Lambert's blog reckons around £10/day.

I'd say what HMG thinks is enough would be basic JSA level @ £65.45/week, then add LHA which is a regional/local variable.

Regards,

Paul.

Edited by loan_ranger

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

You just need to lok at the price of food and petrol and energy prices .. you know all the stuff that most of us need and look at how much prices have went up in the last few years they have almost doubled and yet not many peoples wages have increased and benefits have not went up much.

Where i live in the north alot of people are paid minimum wage then you have you next group which are on anything from 12k - 17k a year which is no where near the national average of 21k a year.

Most people who have not purchased a house or flt will be lucky to do so as the market has our priced first time buyers and has pushed rent up for people who can just manage to pay for it.

I just hope this new government is out to help the poor and families who work and earn very little money.

Whats more scary is they are going to try and hit the honest people who are on benefits and need it.