housing benefit nightmare going to court HELP

lola 1970
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are having a complete nightmare with our local council concering housing benbefit,my now husband moved in in mid 2007 and consequently told all authoritys of my moving in,all done we though.

During nov 2008 we reiceved 2 bills totalling £4000 for overpayment of housing benefit no explaination just 2 bills very proffesional NOT,we queried this and got some paperwork through soon after stating the reasons why.

After many meetings with our local welfare rights unit we managed to get some money off but still owed just over £3000,meanwhile i was called in for an interview under caution with the council.

We paid for a solicitor to be present and were under the impression he would do all the talking not so he just confirmed his name and sat there,and we were not told that you dont have to go to these interviews.

We then took this to the housing appeal system which we consequently lost but the councils housing manager admitting that "ms ##*** could not have reasonably know that she was getting overpaid housing benefit".

This we thought was the end just pay the money back but we had a letter through the post summoning me to court for basically " telling them late of any changes" and "knowingly not telling them of any changes",we have now been to a solicitor and been through the first 2 hearing and have been advised to take it to county court which we have.

A barrrister has been appointed and legal aid granted but i'm concerned that when it goes to crown court and i lose then my fine or caution will be more severe,do the fines get worse if it goes to county and looking at some posts on this site it looks like it does.

Very worried and concerned about it and quite scared of the outcome.