Lone Parent new deal help

sarahmum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i hope someone can advise me, i seperated from my husband in Sept 08 and moved 100 miles back to my hometown and started to claim job seekers i have no idea why i did this i presume i wanted to work and they didn't advise me otherwise when i went to see them and none of the advisors were sure of the age a child had to be for the parent to sign on or claim income support :? so i do remember saying its ok i want to work. (i'd never claimed benefits before)

I have been unable to find part time work and i have tried my best, for the last 12 months i have done part time courses at college, maths, english, customer service, work placements (this makes me sound like i'm not the type of person people want but i have a good work record i am polite and tidy in appearance and i'm not even fussy over the jobs i just want part time work).

So 4 weeks ago i was told i had to take part in the new deal which i was fine with but today they have told me i MUST go on a 13 week training programme in 2 weeks time which is from 9.30am until 4pm Mon-Fri, my daughter is 11yrs old i have no parents only an older daughter aged 20yrs who works so i can't really rely on her fully, i don't understand how on my jsa agreement they let me state only available for work for 20hrs a week yet they are putting me on a full time course which is going to take me into the school summer holidays for which i have zero chance of getting anyone to look after her for that length of time. When i questioned this my advisor said it was my problem and my benefits will stop if i don't go on the course. I asked could she not defer it until September so at least shes mainly at school and she said no.

I don't know what else to say apart from i am distraught i am trying to find work and have sent off countless application forms, i can't allow my daughter to go home alone as she had a major operation 8 weeks ago and can barely walk (she does get low rate care which is another issue of how things don't go right for me due to an ignorant teacher 2 years ago who managed to get high rate care and mobility wiped from us with one statement).

This probably sounds all confusing and jumbled i hope someone can make sense of it, i don't even know what i'm asking i'm just sat here crying i do want to work i just can't do the hours they want from me with this course does anyone have any advice?

Sarah

Hi there and welcome. My heart goes out to you for what you've been through. I'm not on of the gurus, but I'm sure they'll be along later.

In the meantime, all I can offer you is a big hug. People here will do all they can to help you.

My best, HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum