Was I mis sold travel insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife and I booked a holiday through coop travel and took their kind offer of free travel insurance, Being a little concerned about the economy and this being our first holiday abroad in 8 years I asked if we were covered for redundancy, after consulting the policy document the salesperson stated as long as the redundancy wasn't known about we were covered (this was the case). Also we declared both myself and my sons pre existing medical conditions.

Sadly a few weeks later I was made redundant which as stated was totally unexpected, being sensible we cancelled our holiday as other priorities come first mortgage etc, the salesperson said that as we had cancelled our holiday and would be making a claim we now had to pay £55.00 for the Travel insurance, this was a little upsetting but understandable as the travel agent would not make any money on the holiday.

In accordance with the policy rang and asked for a claim form, waited 10 days no form wife rang asked for claim form had no record of previous request, promised form would be posted arrived after 2 days filled in and posted back same day. After looking at our claim requested further documents and evidence of 2 years continual employment with same company, went back to travel agent asked for copies of documents and about employment requirement salesperson states they don't know about that and offers any further help filling in claim form or answering questions about claim form. Spoke to insurer direct they confirm I won't be covered

as self employed working for company prior to being employed and not 2 years consecutive employment.

My questions are

1. Is the salesperson considered an Appointed Representative or an

Introducer Appointed Representative

2. I have tried to persue this matter with coop travel they have replied

that after investigating the matter they are not at fault as we were

advised to read the policy document in full and cancel the insurance

within 14 days if not suitable

3. If I ask a specific question can I reasonably expect a full explanation

of cover and limits of cover ie Am I covered for Redundancy.

4. We did read the section of the policy regarding redundancy and it

does clearly state that If the redundancy is not known of before

the insurance is in place you are covered, however the 2 year

employment statement is in the definitions.

Thanks for any replies I don't know if its worth trying the insurer again or contacting the FSA as if I am not wrong the new Connected Travel Insurance policy rules may apply, or lastly do I just kiss goodbye to £600

and put it down to experience. :confused:

You need to make a formal complaint to CIS claims department advising them the policy was mis sold, as you asked specifically about redundancy cover at the point of sale and were given incorrect information. Although on page 8 of the policy wording, it does state the following. They will argue that you had the opportunity to read the policy and to cancel within 14 days if it was not suitable. It will be your word against theirs.

Your redundancy provided that You have been employed for 2 continuous years with the same employer at the time of being made redundant and at the time of purchasing this Insurance, You had no reason to believe that You would be made redundant.

My advice for what it is worth. Complain to CIS advising that you would like to refer this to the Financial Ombudsman Service. The complaint is about advice given when the policy was sold about cancellation cover in the event of redundancy, which you relied upon. This has proved to be incorrect.

If you go to the FOS because CIS are unwilling to compromise, the FOS will charge CIS a £500 case fee and it will cost you nothing apart from time and cost of phone call or postage. I would expect CIS to make you an offer of an ex-gratia payment, without paying the claim. This is to avoid you going to the FOS. Even if they thought they would win at the FOS, because of the fee and hassle involved, they will want to avoid this.

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks UncleBulgaria67 I pretty much thought that would be a good plan of action,

have already written to Customer Solutions Manager and the response was pretty much 14 days read the small print etc