• Tweets

• Should this to be take into court with him or should he send something in earlier?
    • This is the other sign  parking sign 1a.pdf
    • 4 means that they need to name and then tell the people who will be affected that there has been an application made, what the application relates to (specificially "whether it relates to the exercise of the court’s jurisdiction in relation to P’s property and affairs, or P’s personal welfare, or to both) and what this application contains (i.e what order they want made as a result of it) 5 just means that teh court think it is important that the relevant people are notified 7 means that the court need more information to make the application, hence they have then made the order of paragraph 1 which requires the applicant to do more - this means the court can't make a decision with the current information, and need more, hence paragraph one of the order is for the applicant to do more. paragraph 3 of the order gives you the ability to have it set aside, although if it was made in january you are very late. Were you notiifed of the application or not?    
    • These are the photos of the signs. At the entrance there is a 7h free sign. On some bays there is a permit sign.  Also their official website is misleading as it implies all parking is free.  I can't be certain of the exact parking bay I was in that day, and there was no PCN ticket on my car and no other evidence was provided.  parking sign 2.pdf
    • Hi, In my last post I mentioned I had received an email from SS who were asking me to hand over the keys to my mother’s flat so they could pass them to the Law firm who have been appointed court of protection to access, secure and insure my mother’s property.  Feeling this, all quickly getting out of my hands I emailed ss requesting proof of this. I HAVEN’T HEARD BACK FROM SS.  Yesterday, I received an email (with attached court of protection order) from the Law Firm confirming this was correct (please see below a copy of this).  After reading the court of protection order I do have some concerns about it:   (a)   I only found out yesterday, the Law firm had been appointed by the court back in January.  Up until now, I have not received any notification regarding this.  (b)   Section 2   - States I am estranged from my mother.  This is NOT CORRECT    The only reason I stepped back from my mother was to protect myself from the guy (groomer) who had befriended her & was very aggressive towards me & because of my mother’s dementia she had become aggressive also.  I constantly tried to warned SS about this guy's manipulative behaviour towards my mother and his increasing aggressiveness towards me (as mentioned in previous posts).  Each time I was ignored.  Instead, SS encouraged his involvement with my mother – including him in her care plans and mental health assessments.   I was literally pushed out because I feared him and my mother’s increasing aggression towards me. Up until I stepped back, I had always looked after my mother and since her admission to the care home, I visit regularly.   .(c)    Sections -  4, 5 and 7  I am struggling to understand these as I don’t have a legal background.  I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what they mean.  It’s been a horrendous situation where I had to walk away from my mother at her most vulnerable because of; ss (not helping), scammer and groomer. I have no legal background, nor experience in highly manipulative people or an understanding of how the SS system operates, finding myself isolated, scared and powerless to the point I haven’t collected my personal belongings and items for my mother’s room in the care home.  Sadly, the court has only had heard one version of this story SS’s, and based their decision on that. My mother’s situation and the experience I have gone through could happen to anyone who has a vulnerable parent.    If anyone any thoughts on this much appreciated.  Thank you. ______________________________________________________  (Below is the Court of Protection Order)  COURT OF PROTECTION                                                                                                                                                                                   No xxx  MENTAL CAPACITY ACT 2005 In the matter of Name xxx ORDER Made by  Depty District Judge At xxx Made on xxx Issued on 18 January 2024  WHEREAS  1.     xxx Solicitors, Address xxx  ("Applicant”) has applied for an order under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.  2.     The Court notes (my mother) is said to be estranged from all her three children and only one, (me) has been notified.  3.     (Me) was previously appointed as Atorney for Property and Affairs for (my mother).  The Exhibity NAJ at (date) refers to (me) and all replacement Attorneys are now officially standing down.  4.     Pursuant to Rule 9.10 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 and Practice Direction 9B the Applicant 2must seek to identify at least three persons who are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been issues.”  The children of (my mother), and any other appointed attorneys are likely to have an interest in the application, because of the nature of relationship to (my mother).  5.     The Court considers that the notification requirements are an important safeguard for the person in respect of whom an order is sought.  6.     The Court notes that it is said that the local authority no longer has access to (my mother’s) Property.  7.     Further information is required for the Court to determine the application.  IT IS ORDERED THAT  Within 28 days of the issue date this order, the Applicant shall file a form COP24 witness statement confirming that the other children of (my mother) and any replacement attorneys have been notified of the application and shall confirm their name, address, and date upon which those persons were notified.  If the Applicant wishes the Court to dispense with any further notification, they should file a COP9 and COP24 explaining, what steps (if any) have been taken to attempt notification and why notification should be dispensed with.   Pending the determination of the application to appoint a deputy for (my mother), the Applicant is authorised to take such steps as are proportionate and necessary to access, secure and insure the house and property of (my mother).   This order was made without a hearing and without notice.  Any person affected by this order may apply within 21 days of the date on which the order was served to have the order set aside or varied pursuant to Rule 13.4 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 (“the Rules”).  Such application must be made on Form COP9 and in accordance with Part 10 Rules.              
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

argos delivery charges/pricing

denzil69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6351 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

had an absolute humdinger of a row with my local argos today.

got vouchers so went in for a tumble dryer.

price online and in catalogue £249.99

thought that i could pick up goods from branch and that the £4.95 charge was only applicable to online purchases... apparently not!

i questioned the price when the lady at the till told me the price was £254.98

*it says £249.99 in your book... are you telling me the delivery charge is compulsary?

-but we have to charge for delivery!

*well then your advertising the incorrect price in your catalogues then!

-no we are not, you have to pay for delivery

*tell me where i can buy the dryer for the price of £249.99 as you advertise?

-here!

*okays ill have one of those then

-thats £254.98 please sir

*but you said it was £249.99 and i could buy it here?

-you have to pay for delivery as well!

*then delivery is compulsary?

-yes we have to charge it

*so the price in your catalogue is wrong then!

-no its not! it is only £249.99

*but i cant buy it for £249.99 can i?

-yes you can sir

*okays ill take one, dont need the delivery charge ill pick it up in my own van!

-you cant do that sir

*why not?

-because its home delivery only!

*okays then ill pay the extra an get the express delivery, £19.99 extra as it says in your book.. thats £269.98 then?

-no thats £274.97 sir!

*why?

-it also includes the £4.95 delivery charge!

*are you having a laff? the order number lists "including express delivery charge cost £19.99"

-then you have your £4.95 home delivery charge to be added...

*what do you think the express delivery charge covers?

-it justs speeds it up its rapid!

*so your charging me a delivery charge plus a delivery charge which is compulsary?

-yes sir

*youre absolutely sure about that?

-yes sir

*thankyou then, ill go via your head office for a refund and you will end up paying for my petrol for another return trip to come back in and get my refund.

-our head office wont refund you sir.

i left before i started swearing at them. a call to the useless trading standards tomorrow me thinks then a call to their head office.

failing that, im taking them to court.

they advertised the dryer "from £249.99" but there is no argos in the country where i can buy it for this price.

they go even further, with the little symbol at the side of the description, and i quote, "cost included within the catalogue price"

why dont staff if they are not sure...... ASK someone who is???

june... requested and paid for 6 years of statements.

july.... letter sent requesting charges be refunded to account

early august... letter received stating "account could be closed, charges are fair according to abbey"

august 21st.. finally received 6 years statements

august 22nd... requested the wife's 6 years past statements.

august 23rd... letter before action sent giving 14 days to refund summary of charges

spoke to argos head office today.

they looked at the catalogue, admitted that not only should they have not charged me for £4.95 (says its included in the price) but shouldnt have charged me £4.95 at all

once id paid the £19.99 delivery charge, they shouldnt have charged me another £4.95

said that lady would transfer me to another department where i would get a refund.

spoke to next department, she decided that it was correct after all, shes now refusing to refund at all, and said if i dont like ti write in to their head office!

i rang trading standards, they almost ripped my arm off!

they state that to advertise £249.99 in catalogue when its not possible to buy it at that price from any argos, is misrepresentation at the point of sale.

they went even further, its to be reported and acted upon as its a criminal misrepresentation, and they will contact me directly in the next 48 hours, to inform me of how i can get delivery charges back with their help.

ill keep you posted.

Deano....

early august... letter received stating "account could be closed, charges are fair according to abbey"

august 23rd... letter before action sent giving 14 days to refund summary of charges

• 4 weeks later...

Deano - my husband and I had a very similar argument with an Argos cashier on Bank Hol Monday end of August - we bought a furniture package and were charged the £4.95 - like you say it is "misrepresentation".

Besides this delivery charge - I have had troubles getting my goods from them and still haven't had these items despite paying cash for them instore!!

Can you tell me where I get in touch with Trading Standards etc.. as in the catalogue they say delivery in 7-14 days - then on the small print of receipt it says 21 days for delivery - but after phoning the muppets at customer services again today (which is 21 days) they told me they sent me a letter yesterday saying they have a problem I have to wait 7 days more - so when I asked if I was likely to get delivery within 7 days muppet lady said "oh no - you'll hear from us in due course" - so I am likely to still be waiting after 7 days delay is over??

I mentioned breach of contract and compensation etc.. and she tells me I have to wait 16 days after receipt of goods before I can claim that - so I am kind of left in limbo having no idea if and when I shall get my goods, whether I ought to have been charged the delivery charges and if I will be allowed to claim compensation for all their time wasting etc..

I reckon Argos has gone to the dogs!! Sure needs a shake up in there in my opinion - it was bad enough instore at Llandudno when the girl on cash desk took our order - she tutted and sighed as she'd first spelt names wrong, and then spelt address wrong, argued viciously when my hubby asked about the delivery charge!! she sat blowing bubbles with gum and chewing like crazed woman!! and she was so rude and obnoxious my husband actually apologised to her for our disturbing her!! I know the staff are paid rotten wages etc.. but there is no excuse for such bad manners regardless of who the customer is!!

Just seems this purchase was doomed from the day I bought these items in the Bank Holiday Sales?

I reckon I shall write to head office!! Seems like I shall never get the stuff I paid for!!

im sorry to hear of your trouble elizabeth.

the point of white goods and bulk goods that require 2 people to deliver, is very clear cut. they are openly advertising a price in their catalogues, that you cannot physically purchase the goods at the advertised price. this is a clear mis-representation at the point of sale.

your local trading standards can be found by contacting directory inquiries, or by checking your county council's website, they used to be part of the county council, nowadays tho, there is a layer of beaurocrats that "filters calls" to trading standards.

the way the catalogue is laid out at the bottom, one code is for the price of goods which includes the 4.95 (this is the big bold headline price) by law they cannot advertise a price and then say there is another £4.95 to pay which is compulsary. this means you cannot buy the item at the price shown.

the next code along indicates the price with £19.99 added in for express delivery.

the more people inform trading standards, the more they can do about it. they were extremely keen to take details, as they stated, "its clearly a mis-representation" but i wont hold my breath. i do know however, that when so many cases are reported, once an amount of complaints is reached, it "flags" up on their computers, then it may be possible to take legal action if a company is found to be offending.

i emailed argos head office weeks ago, not heard a single word about it.

i would write and send recorded delivery to their head office, and send an email via their head office website. if you can do without your bargain, then i personally would walk into the branch and get a full refund on the spot and take my business to a reputable firm.

i wont be dealing with argos again, only dealt with them this time because we were kindly given vouchers, next time i purchase anything of a reasonable size, another company will get my business.

i only wish more people would vote with their feet and drop retailers like a stone when they are messing people about, i believe the only thing they understand is their turnover figures, once they start to decline they will start to address the issues that infuriate customers.

im sorry i cant be more help

Deano....

I have just looked in my Argos catalogue and it does clearly state that you have to pay for delivery for items such as washing machines.

Are you suggesting that every website which sells an item for "£XX.XX plus delivery" are false advertising?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Deano & Baracud,

After reading around here and speaking to Argos and getting no real answers I decided to write a letter to the Chief Executive as another person did in another Argos thread here - I have asked for compensation and a definite date for the delivery of my goods as they have had the 21 days and still no signs of my getting what I paid for!!

The charges for delivery were not written on the item descriptions or on the actual page where the items were advertised = this came up on the till at the time of purchase.

Usually the delivery charge is mentioned on the page where items are advertised along with the "delivery within ** days" - it is made clear that way - instead this isn't made clear and therefore a surprise to customers when paying for items. I can say I didn't expect to pay for goods to be delivered because the store didn't carry stocks of furniture items - nor did I expect the wait for my furniture when the company so readily took my money and despite my several queries as to when I could expect delivery.

It will be interesting to see what they say in reply to my letter!! :)

barracad,

im not very good with wording things so please allow me to give an example:

im looking at the latest argos catalogue (green cover) page 603. bottom middle is the dryer we bought, catalogue number 13.

* at the top in bold pricing £249.99 (argos branch and head office told me that there is no where within the company that i can buy this product for this price)

* if a compulsary delivery charge is part of the price, this must be made clear to the customer

* underneath item 13, one code lists the 249.99 price above it also framed is home delivery only £4.95 (i asked at the counter why they are advertising 249.99 when i cant buy it for that price, as i thought the compulsary delivery charge applied to online purchases only, they told me it was company policy to charge the £4.95)

* the next box lists another code with 269.98 framed above it is including express delivery. (we decided to go for this, as we had to pay an extra fee anyways.) the lady at the till then added a £4.95 charge to the 269.98!

* page 602 at the bottom it explains home delivery only, as being included in the catalogue price, which is how it should be.

the advertiser/retailer must include any other charges within the quoted price unless clearly marked. ie, they cannot advertise a product at 249.99 when you cannot buy it for 249.99 but have to pay a minimum of 254.94

i spoke to argos head office who agreed that i had been overcharged and put me through to another department to sort out a refund, the other department said no to that refund!

trading standards agrees with me. they state that this is very misleading, altho it wont help with my case directly they are investigating argos, because this is classed as a misrepresentation at the point of sale.

the advertising standards agency are also investigating, as they see it also as a clear breech of the advertising code.

your example of £XX.XX plus delivery, is a good one. the actual price clearly lists "plus delivery" on its headline,

the argos one does not. had my item stated £249.99 plus delivery charge, i wouldnt have a problem with it.

the argos catalogue lists the price as "from £249.99" you cannot buy the dryer at this price online or in a store. this is why i think it is misleading.

sorry for the long winded reply, but we actually got charged 249.99 plus 19.99 plus 4.95 for a product thats clearly priced at 249.99

i dont expect a national company to get the prices wrong on their own delivery service 3 times (twice in branch and once at head office) and leave the onus on the customer to write in, to their head office to ask for a refund of charges they were clearly mislead into paying, by the wording of their own advertising.

i doubt this clarifies what im getting at, but i tried :OP

• 2 months later...

Ive had this happen with other items marked "Home delivery only" They dont state you have to pay for what we class as too bulky to collect from store. Ours was a kids ride on plastic bike thing, when it came it was light as a feather and not at all bulky, compared to some of the things like a large gas heater cabinet and other heavy bulky items it was a complete joke! It also used to be the case of if you spent over £100 in one transaction your delivery was free. So technically if they deem something "bulky" then you cannot buy the goods at the advertised price as they later add on a delivery fee. I didnt have so much luck with my traiding standards at the time, its a farce and I now avoid anything which is "Home delivery only"!

You can't pick it up from store usually because its too big for the warehouse (though there are a couple of items that could have been put into a store). The reason it doesn't add a delivery charge onto the catalogue price, if you brought more then one of the item you would be charged double the fee for delivery.

They instead state home delivery only with a * (its actually a D coloured in), with it on the page that it includes a 4.95 delivery charge no matter what you order. It is stated, ultimately it doesn't have a neon sign pointing your going to be charged extra but it is there.

Imagine how confusing it would be to state, home delivery only, this is the price, and anything else you get delivered thats also home delivery only you can have 4.95 off per item. Companys charge for delivery because it costs, by having a seperatly listed delivery charge it is saving you money, as they then don't have to bump up the prices to include costs.

Being one of the biggest retailers in the uk argos comes under a lot of fire, and this is one of the things argos is aware of, but its the same everywhere, companys adding a p+p fee for example.

I am usually on the consumers side, however you have to understand things from a companys perspective, how would you deal with the situation, can you see a better alternative. Feel free to tell me and I will make sure the correct people see it, I may well be low down in the foodchain, but I can still get a message across.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

You can't pick it up from store usually because its too big for the warehouse (though there are a couple of items that could have been put into a store). The reason it doesn't add a delivery charge onto the catalogue price, if you brought more then one of the item you would be charged double the fee for delivery.

They instead state home delivery only with a * (its actually a D coloured in), with it on the page that it includes a 4.95 delievery charge no matter what you order. It is stated, ultimatly it doesn't have a neon sign pointing your going to be charged extra but it is there.

Being one of the biggest retailers in the uk argos comes under a lot of fire, and this is one of the things argos is aware of, but its the same everywhere, companys adding a p+p fee for example.

But c'mon a plastic ride on you can lift with a pinkie 30cm wide by approx 70cm long and about 40cm high and when delivered it was in bits to be built so wasnt bulky or heavy.:confused:

I know, unfortunately the people who decide these things are slightly retarded same with the people who choose whats 'extra' and whats not

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

how many times have we heard this one liner...

"we are comparable to other companies" "we charge delivery like other firms"

i dont give a monkeys about how they compare to other companies, just because its the industry norm, doesnt mean its not a blatant rip off!

how about the customer is always right? how about doing whats best for their individual customer?

you dont need a science degree (no pun intended) to sort out a basic principal, if you advertise a product for XXXX amount of pounds... regardless of the * or the coloured in D, etc, you should be able to buy it for that price.

we have the laws in the UK to stop this, but as per usual the government funded bodies are nothing more than talking shops, with no teeth.

they are there to protect the individual, they are clearly failing. as the individual has to take action, write in, goto court, appeal to head office pen pushers, etc, to make a company see sense.

theres a valuable principal here: if i advertise something as XXXX pounds, then anyone should be able to buy it for that price. end of, no discussion required, argos advertise my item for a price, by their own admission, i cannot actually buy it for. its misleading customers.

i offered to pick up the goods myself as im fortunate to have a van... they refused, and then charged me a delivery charge on top of their already extortionate delivery charge.

my mum used to say "always call a spade, a spade" sooner we force companies to this the better.

I'm sorry, but to be fair the Argos catalogue does make it clear that home delivery is £4.95 and items are clearly marked if they are home delivery only.

Delivery charges are often kept separate and not included as part of the price. This is not in any way a breach of Part 3 of the Consumer Protection Act, the law that covers misleading prices, so long as the delivery charges are made clear (which in the catalogue, they are).

You wouldn't expect to go on to the Amazon website and buy items for the displayed price, I think it's common sense to look for a delivery charge unless the company are specifically stating "Free delivery".

The price you pay for the item is shown, the delivery is a separate service and not part of the actual item cost.

I agree that if they are offering Special Delivery at £19.99 it would seem wrong to actually add this to the standard delivery charge, but I would need to have a look at the wording further before really commenting on this.

But I do think you're over-reacting a bit here, and getting as angry as you are isn't really going to help matters.

There are many laws in this country to protect consumers who have genuine cases; I'm sorry to be so harsh, but I don't think this is one of them.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

i disagree rosie

where the £249.99 price is in the catalogue, above the product i wanted, it has no * no mention at all of delivery charge by the £249.99 price

how can it be justified to advertise a price that the company state it is not possible to buy it at?

when you type the code number into the search feature in a branch... it doesnt list a delivery charge

the amazon reference is not the same at all.... as i would be buying from an online source, id expect to pay postage etc.

if i bought from the argos website, id expect to pay delivery

why have a store that you cant call into and pick up from?

why advertise a price that you cant buy that product for?

i only live 12 miles away from one of argos' picking warehouses, they still wouldnt let me pick it up.

i questioned the charge in the branch.... all they would say was, "we are told to charge it!"

their own head office admitted it was misleading and offered "we need to get it refunded as soon as possible" they even apologised

they transferred me to another department to receive the refund and they then refused a refund and demanded that if i didnt like it, i should write into head office and wait upto 14 days.

if you wanted to buy a book from amazon, would you read all their terms and conditions first?

likewise, i dont expect to have to read the entire procedure for buying an item from a company advertising it.

why offer it at £249.99 when you cant buy it for that price?

£254.98 is the lowest price you could buy that product with argos, how is this not misleading?

perhaps if they were honest, with their catalogues, argos wouldnt be able to advertise it at "now less than £250"

and they certainly wouldnt be competitive with rival firms also offering it at £249.99 but delivery is free and a great deal quicker than they can offer...

im not angry rosie, i pity argos, they only got our business because we were given vouchers, i will not shop with them again.

the branch staff failed their customer, head office failed their customer, in almost 20 years of shop floor sales i can honestly say that i would never have treated a customer of mine in this manner.

why dont argos publish with their accounts, how much revenue they generated from delivery charges, in the last financial year?

if they care about their customers, why not reduce the product price by £4.95 and then state that the delivery charge is included, like they used to do when they offered free delivery?

From my own experience with Argos - like Denzil I live just a few miles away from an Argos store - items I purchased I found I also had to pay the delivery charge on - I did ask if I could collect from store when goods get here etc.. but they wouldn't let me.

On top of that - the catalogue told me delivery in 14 days, my till receipt said 21 days (Mmmconflict before I'd even left store?) BUT it actually took them over 9 weeks to deliver my goods.

As the 14 days neared I rang asking when I could expect delivery etc.. as I'd obviously need to arrange for someone to be home etc.. - I got fobbed off. After 21 days I made same call again to be fobbed off. I wrote two recorded delivery letters asking when I could expect delivery of my goods - chief execs secretary rang me twice "my hands are tied - we have supplier problems" - Like that was my problem??

It went on for weeks - I put up with arrogant rude staff who treated me as though I owed them!!! All I was asking was when would I get delivery of my furniture - I had paid cash for these items and have never known such a clueless bunch of people in all my life!! The rudeness and arrogance of the people I dealt with was shocking. At one point Mellissa Flately the chief execs secretary said to me "Well if we haven't the stock - how can we deliver?" - she was the most arrogant person I have ever dealt with in the role of customer services - rude, bad tempered and arrogant to put it politely.

Mmm!!! So if you haven't the stock - why sell the item?? Why take the customers money?? Is it not more polite to admit "sorry item is out of stock" rather than take a customers money and treat them like dirt because they query when delivery is going to be made!!

I don't understand how a company this size with the technology that they have can not know whether an item is out of stock or not. My thoughts are if the supplier really is the problem - then why deal with that supplier ? I am sure many companies would like to supply such a big company?

I shall never shop at Argos ever again after that experience - they sell nothing that I couldn't get elsewhere - and I'd sure never have to put up with the arrogance of the staff I dealt with at Argos throughout this problem. Standards have slipped within Argos - and I expect it's all down to money!!

why dont argos publish with their accounts, how much revenue they generated from delivery charges, in the last financial year?

if they care about their customers, why not reduce the product price by £4.95 and then state that the delivery charge is included, like they used to do when they offered free delivery?

First you say reduce the price and offer free delivery...argos is a company that has to think for its profits and shareholders. Thats how the world works. Let me explain different ways of doing the delivery charge and showing you what comes out as a comprimise.

Argos adds on £3.95 to the main price offering the price as the 'main' price of (£204.94) including delivery charge. You then purchase a few of these home delivery only items all with an added but clearly included now in the price delivery charge. You buy 3 of them comes to a total of £614.82, £15 worth of delivery charge, but hey its included in the price now.

Argos gives you free delivery on items, its free who cares if the company is losing money this way, I am sure they will just increase all the prices instead so that everyone can fork out more not just yourself.

Argos offers a separate delivery charge, which is now displayed in there catalogue on every relavent page and with increased viability in the future (catalogues are printed 3 months in advance, don't expect this extra clarity in the next one). They essentially make some money on the delivery side and don't have to increase prices, though you do have to pay those people that will come and (should) take it into any room you need, drive a lorry halfway across the country (well have a distribution closer...you pay the millions then?) and drive back again.

Argos have 2 ways of getting a home delivery product to you, van delivery via a courier (City Link : UK Services) essentially losing money. (not this courier linked for prices)

Via a lorry, which entails the price of a lorry (they last a long time anyway), the price of the wages of 2 people in the lorry (heavy stuff legally needs 2 people). Petrol (for most people its quite a long way, and its too complicated to do it miles from the center).

As well as its own argos direct warehouse, with many employees (essentially in the price you pay for the item exclusive of the delivery charge).

They don't make millions of these charges, its to cover costs, whilst making the same profit on the product that they would from a store.

Yes it has been said these charges should be more clear, yes you can't go and pick it up (health and safety reasons, and loads of other stuff), so you do have to pay for the delivery charge. It is in this catalogue, 95% of the pages where a product is home delivery only its there, its small whilst readable, but so is small print.

As for the posts below, I apologies for the results in the storys. You expect to be charged for delivery from the internet, but not a bed for example, yes you brought it from a highstreet store, but its still being delivered. Its costs a company less if you order on the internet then if you do in the highstreet.

As for the delivery dates etc, it will say on the tills and should be on the recipet as 'usually' within 14 days. We work off suppliers as well, unfortunatly if a supplier is having problems giving us stock it does get passed on. However argos do not sell products they don't have in stock or are not getting in stock soon.

Its unfortunate you hear all the bad stories and never any good ones, thats the way customer services work, it takes 10x more effort in keeping a customer, then it does to lose one. Your more likely to tell someone about a bad experience then you are about a good one, a good one is usually where nothing has gone wrong, even when its noticable someone has gone above and beyond to help you its doubtful the information leaves you by word of mouth.

As with the customer is always right..its one of those statements I hate, if the customer was always right there wouldn't need to be a trading standards, you would just put the product on the table, go its faulty. I brought it 4 years ago and as a £10 hoover it should have lasted....Give me a new one. It doesn't work like that.

Every company has something they could do better, the bigger they are the more they could improve, the more things they can get wrong, the more people (as theres more customers), that get disappointed.

When you look at a situation you need to look at it not from your perspective but the other side as well, being in the middle I can. When it comes down to it read all the small print, that includes the real small print at the back of the catalogue.

I apologise if this post seems rude, just trying to be blunt to the point, get my message across. Its not an apology post on behalf of the company, its a damn part time job. Its just making it clear on some of the points in this thread.

I do however apologies to Elizabeth on the way you were treated, especially by senior members of staff, and to denzil on the point about refunding a delivery charge, this charge can be removed at a managers discression, however isn't usually done for the reasons you have listed.

Anyways if you find me in store, I am not someone who will mess you around, am generally friendly, and very customer focused. (When you have people who try to defraud you, I won't go out of my way to apologize). I know alot about the SOGA so I know your rights (quite a few ppl don't other then the store manager and still I know more then any of the staff there), however in all honesty, trusted internet retailers are the way forwar.

If you do need any help regarding anything about argos, soga anything I am happy to help, state the facts and my opinion. As well as my signiture states, I am happy to give advise on anything you have regarding the company (legally of course). I have tryed to state the facts above I do go on, I would appreciate it if you didn't pick at the post, and sorry about the cheekness, rudeness etc that I have made in it. (4am got to be up in 4 hours :/)

Regards

Blitz

[EDIT] Just reading the top post, in regards to the express delivery with the delivery charge added on. I would have removed it under my own discression. I am not management in the store, but I do ignore alot of stuff if I feel its unfair, or in this case you shouldn't have been charged for it. The other times I will remove a delivery charge is if you have 2 separate transactions, so you only get charged one delivery charge overall{/EDIT]

Blitz - really you have no reason to apologise to me - I was just saying about how I was messed about - I understood that part of the reasons for delivery was actually health & safety etc.. (better for us as customers too) - my beef was about not getting answers even from senior staff who ought to have dealt with the problem. All I was asking for was a date - so I could make my arrangements here for acceptance of the goods - seemed so unreal that the person involved was so defensive and despite saying she'd deal with it and get answers I found two weeks later she still hadn't hence my second letter - then was rude again because I phoned to follow my letter up - But we live and learn?

Blitz I see you are loyal and try hard - but you are one person amongst a huge company - there needs to more of you - you can't put this company right on your own as hard as you try = but it's nice to see you trying so hard - a quality that lacks in many departments? (I have a brother in law who has worked for the company for many years at head office - so I do see some of the changes as the company has eveolved over years!!)

I tried to buy a headboard from Argos in Leeds and when they tried to add the £4.95 delivery I asked if I could pick it up in store, they said no, it is home delivery only, I said I don't need delivering to my home, they said you have to, I said then stuff it I will go somewhere else. And I did.

There should be an option to collect in store for the advertised price, this would be no extra cost to Argos and would give customers the choice.

Bad customer service, thats all.

Cahoot

Prelim sent 2nd Aug 2006 - usual "if your not happy then sod off" reply.

LBA sent 25th Aug 2006 - another "if your not happy then sod off" and an offer to refund £130, accepted as partial settlement, used to pay for MCOL

MCOL filed on 15th Sept 2006.

Acknoledged 26th Sept 2006

Defended 12th Oct 2006 in a letter to me but not to the courts

Started judgement by default on 30th Oct 2006

Barclaycard

Citibank

Halifax sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) on 09/10/06 nothing back yet

Capital one

etc..........watch out here I come.

I wouldn't think a headboard would need a delivery van? Who were you ordering it for, the Sultan of Brunei? "Oh, sir, it's gold encrusted and seventeen feet long, that's why you can't possibly carry it to your five-door estate outside..."

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)