• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Vets gave us a misleading quote, what to do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, I'm new but hope it is OK to post straight off.:)

I'm hoping for some input or advice regarding the situation that's arisen here, after having our three rabbits neutered.

I rang the nearest vets on Monday for a price for our three girls, and was told by a young sounding woman that it would be approximately £35 per rabbit. I'd been told by someone randomly that it cost them £60, so was pleased with this price and decided to book them in straight away, which I did in the same phone call.

We duly turned up on Thursday with the rabbits, signed the disclaimer for surgery and waited till 2.30 to ring and check on their progress. One was still to be done, and I was told to ring back around 4 - so I did, and they said please collect them at 5.30. I asked the lady to confirm the price and she said, looking at her computer, that it seemed to be a total of £80.25. I said I was quoted £35 each, are you sure that's right? And she checked with another staff member and said, yes, that appears to be the total.

We went and got them, and I paid her the £80.25. nothing more was said - then this morning I went in to collect some post operative sachets I'd been advised to give.

When I was about to pay, the same lady asked me suddenly, 'did you pay when you collected them on Thursday?' and I said yes, and she said this is showing a balance of £175.

I was bemused and it was then that she realised the cost had been £80 per rabbit :confused:

she was as surprised as I was, admitted it had been she who confirmed the total for me on Thursday, but had to look up who had booked us in originally - it appeared to have been possibly one of the nurses, who apparently aren't allowed to do booking in. Then she said it could have been the vet himself, but I said no, it was a woman.

Anyway...she was nice and said she would speak to them on Monday, and ring me - but I am worried sick. I never thought to get a written quotation before making the appointment, it's a vet, I assumed they know or can find out quickly their own prices. Apparently not. Even the receptionist had no idea what the prices were until this morning when she looked it up.

I feel sick - it's clearly their error, but I have no proof Iw as quoted so wrongly on the phone (both times). I have a receipt for £80.25 which I checked and it only names one rabbit, but I would have assumed it meant all of them under one name, had I looked at it sooner, because that's what I was told I had to pay.

I'm not looking to avoid legitimate fees but I feel I was misled fairly drastically, and I certainly wouldn't have given them my business had they given me the proper price initially. There are various vets around here, I rang round this morning and got a few prices, all of which were less than £80 per rabbit - mainly around £60, which tbh I didn't know was the going rate, I assumed my friend's example was a more expensive vet etc.

I'd be willing to sub the rest of the £105 I'd counted on and prepared for, but I think £240 being three times what I've already paid is really unfair, considering it wasn't in the 'verbal contract'...does anyone have knowledge of these situations, or experience?

I'd be really grateful for your reassurance if so...I am pretty shaken up and have had an awful day worrying about it. I could come up with the money if I had to but it seems so wrong that they could do this.

Thankyou for reading.

This is an odd one to say the least. £80 per rabbit seems extortionate to me. Around £35-50 each would be about what I'd expect for a female, less for a male.

Leaving that aside, you even questioned the bill when you went to pay so gave them every chance to get it right. It's beyond cheeky for them to ask for more at a later date. Every which way round they need to get their act together and their mistakes are not your fault. I'd agree to pay the difference between what you paid and what you were quoted but no more.

Thankyou so much...yes, I was pretty amazed too when the invoices arrived yesterday lunchtime! I don't think the secretary whom I spoke to and took the payment sent them, as she was surprised to see the balance on my account.

I think it's pretty sneaky that they see fit just to create an 'account' after taking payment made in good faith, and as you say questioned and checked by their staff at the time.

I'll have to wait till tomorrow I suppose, to sort it out.

Thanks again for your reply.

I'd suggest you deal with it in writing from now on. Phone calls or face to face contact have already proved their staff are not exactly on the ball. They are unlikely to really chase this beyond a couple of letters and a threatogram but you should create a paper trail just in case. You rang for a quote and got one. You questioned the bill at the time of payment and gave the staff time to check the amount. There was discussion among staff and they confirmed it as correct. It's not as if you tried to leave without paying.

That's true, you're right. I've written up a very long letter detailing exactly what happened and offering the remaining £24.75 which would honour the original quote.

Might not have time to send this before they ring tomorrow, but I have it ready in case.

Thanks again for your help.

I've written up a very long letter

Edit it then:) At a guess it's probably somewhere between 5 and 10 times longer than it should be. From what you've said it should be one short paragraph and three or four bullet points.

I do think so. I know I'm only guessing but I'll bet you've wanted to explain everything in great detail and come across as so reasonable. It's a nice attitude but the more you write at this stage the more they will latch onto phrases out of context. It could start a long and involved argument which is what you want to avoid.

You need to state the facts as you understand them which are as discussed -

You rang for a quote and got one. You questioned the bill at the time of payment and gave the staff time to check the amount. There was discussion among staff and they confirmed it as correct.

The only things you could add are dates and times and any names of staff if you have them. If the staff don't wear name badges then point this out as the reason you cannot give the detail. It's not a social letter, there's no need to turn the page before signing your name :)

that makes a lot of sense and I will try and do it this evening, after all...you're right, they could take things out of context if I give them a load of material to work with.

They have name badges but I didn't note her name - only the one I ^didn't^ have anything to do with! Typical. I guess it won't matter though.

Ok, off to have another crack at it :)

Thanks.

You're welcome. Bald and factual is good. It's all too easy to end up writing one thing when you mean another if you get too flowery. Simple statements which can't be misconstrued are best even if it seems a bit rude.

Okay, I've now got it down to just over one page, well maybe one and a half as I didn't want just the signature on page 2!

thanks :) once you've written something out about 7 times it becomes easier to see the actual points you wish to make!

Will keep other one though in case it goes further, as it covers everything in detail and someone said keep a written record of what happens.

Hello,

I just thought I would update and let you know what happened. I had about 3 or 4 different letters ready to send, by the time I heard from them - after a few phone calls back and forth, they finally managed to get the Manager to agree to my paying the balance between what I had already paid and the original quote - which was actually a brilliant outcome.

They said that they wanted to keep me as a customer, which I have a feeling was rather difficult for them to say!

I want to thank you very much indeed for all your advice, help and support. You really helped keep me going through a rough couple of days when I felt quite worried.

Thankyou.

Brilliant outcome. I'm not sure they're even entitled to that but an amicable settlement is always best and it is fair for you to pay that small difference.

It's always easier to stand up for yourself with a little support :)

yes, much easier when people are telling you you're right!

I agree it's fair - I can hardly hold them to their original quote if I won't honour it! I know the amount I paid at first was also due to their error but I'd rather have had it over with and I'd have felt I was punishing them for a mistake, rather than covering myself...it would have felt pretty mean.

This way I am fairly sure they'll make changes to their attitude about quotations and so on - and always look up the correct price before they let the animals go!