• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Blemain finance

dax
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anyone heard of or had dealings with Blemain finance company? Would be interested to know of your experience with them as mine was that they were complete sharks:!:

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep,

They threatened to reposes our house for 3 missed payments and were not prepared to comprimise I told them that they were unlikly to get satisfction and if they were going ahead any way I would cancel any further payments until the court ruled on the situation (thats a bit like only half hitting a wasp). They were hell bent on reposession and that of course is where they make some serious money.We managed to pay the arrears (& costs) and so the loan continues.

Their set up charges were astronomical and they (obviously) want all the redemption fees paid on early settlement (which theyve forced).

what they do is lend money to people who are in a sticky situation and name their own price (as beggers cant be choosers) on the costs then they hover in the wings waiting for a trip and pounce.

I intend to pay them off asap and then have a long hard think (for about a nano second) about wheather its worth pusuing them for some or more of the charges.

They are unlikly to roll over and pay as quickly (or at all) as the banks as they are probably only one step up the food chain from the sharks.

Apart from the above weve had no problems with them and would thoroughly reccommend them to any body who is up against the wall and needs finance and cant manage to get made bankrupt instead!

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'

Thomas Jefferson 1802

I am so glad someone else knows this firm of parasites and nothing would give me more pleasure than doing them up, like they done me up...They used to laugh down the phone at me..jeering...." you know we could take your house of you dont you and see you on the street", it was unbelievable in heinsight, but I didnt know ant better at the time and was a desperate and worried struggling single parent. Their interest rate was like 29% I think. Somewhere ive still got their file and intend to go over it with a nit comb. I ended up repaying them £53.000 and in fact, sold my property to remove myself from their grip. Talk about stress.......'evil'

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking on the FSA Financial services authority website, to trace Blemain finance tonight and although their name never became acknowledged as registered as listed with them. When I went to the section for companies and mortgage lenders they have investigated, lo and behold, 'Blemain finance' were there. I have pasted the article here.

Mortgage early repayment charges

Blemain Finance is an Appointed Representative of

Cheshire Mortgage Corporation Limited. A term in one of

its residential mortgage deeds enabled Blemain to use a

method called the 'Rule of 78' to calculate a

consumer's early repayment charge.

We viewed this as unfair because it could result in the

consumer paying a charge much higher than would

reasonably compensate the firm for charges lost through

early repayment.

In this case the firm agreed to stop calculating early

repayment charges using the 'Rule of 78' method.

Close Window

I am going to check my old file to see if they used this rule with me, which I presume they did.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents had a loan with Blemain and their redemption figure was calculated using 'rule 78'.

Does anyone think this is something you could challenge?

HSBC - Owed £1315, settled at £1150 - 08/06

First National Tricity Fiance - Owed - not sure ? DPL sent 20/09/06

Alliance & Leicester - Owed £595 - Moneyclaim started 20/09/06

HSBC for Dad - Owed £1500 - Moneyclaim started 20/09/06

Capital One - Owed £495, Settlement Rejected £195, LBA sent 12/09/06

Barclays for Dad - Owed £3200, LBA sent 12/09/06

SPML & Blemain Finance for Mum & Dad - Awaiting Statements could be huge !

Failure is not an option ! - NASA

I think that if the FSA found it to be an unjustified rule in use, for whatever reason it represents, then it must have been a tool they used to rob the gullible, in which case, it's probably possible to raise it as an issue and be reimbursed. I intend to raise issues with them, in the hope of getting money back.

I hate Blemain Finance.........

Maybe I'll try complaining directly to the FSA?, we've sent off for data protection statements, etc today to see how bad the individual charges are (I'm thinking really bad!).

They do prey on individuals that can't get help anywhere else and really sting them on the APR. It's like the other mortgage companies such as GMAC, SPML and Kensington, then you get trapped, the more payments you miss the worse your credit score, the worse your credit score the higher the APR, the higher the APR, the more difficult it is to pay ...

I'll do some reading up and give it a go ... Thanks !

HSBC - Owed £1315, settled at £1150 - 08/06

First National Tricity Fiance - Owed - not sure ? DPL sent 20/09/06

Alliance & Leicester - Owed £595 - Moneyclaim started 20/09/06

HSBC for Dad - Owed £1500 - Moneyclaim started 20/09/06

Capital One - Owed £495, Settlement Rejected £195, LBA sent 12/09/06

Barclays for Dad - Owed £3200, LBA sent 12/09/06

SPML & Blemain Finance for Mum & Dad - Awaiting Statements could be huge !

Failure is not an option ! - NASA

Fill me in every step of the way, youve soooo got my support on this one. I hope you get every penny back and remember, they nailed you for every penny, even if it was the last one in youre purse.

• 1 month later...

Have Blemain responded to your SAR yet Gemster? ive just filed there papers into order, which consist of three loans. Will need some help with this though as I know they will make things dificult. Just wondered what youre updates were.

Maybe as the contract was signed using rule 78, it will be difficult to argue. They also put a clause in saying the lender may vary the rate at his discretion.

please keep us updated here.

Blemain Finance, Cheshire Mortgage Corporation, Lancashire Mortgage Corporation, They are all part of one group, Blemain mainly do secord charges, Cheshire residential mortgages, Lancashire commecial mortgages and bridging loans. I have not come across this rule 78, but look on your KFI that would have covered the redemption and how much it would cost. I would think if its not on there it should not apply. These lenders will not give you any thing with out a fight

The Mortgage Man

Try to avoid blemain

-----------------------------------------------

Mortgage Express charges- settled in full after issuing claim

------------------------------------------------

To view the FAQ'S click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

To view the PRELIM letter click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

To view the Letter Before Action click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

To find Registered Address:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

If my advise helps click here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/reputation.php?p=366404

unfortunately, we cant stay away, as were about to be re united via potential court proceedings and reclaiming charges.

We are the experienced, thats why were here.......

Hi Do you think the person who named Welcome thought Welcome Sucker ,but apart from that Nathal right stay away from these lenders but for some people these lenders are there only hope of saving their homes and giving them a new chance to rebuild their credit history. Its a pity that some financial advisors just use them to feather their own nests with out regard to their clients. For people with these lenders Try and keep your payments straight for 12 months and then change to a main stream lenders, and then sue them for the ERP.

The Mortgage Man

Just started a claim against Blemain Finance..'never heard of them'...you dont want to!

Anyone else who has come across them or is in the throws of making a claim...lets be support buddies...

Hag!! I'll need you help on this one..........

Gosh Midge, ive been there and it was hell!

There are to my knowledge two others here with Blemain dealings and from my experience this company really acted underhand. How long have you had a loan from them?

Heres some handy info Nathal kindly remembered to keep for me while perusing updates: Does it affect any of the claimants here?

Ill check my contract and let you know if the clause is in mine.........

Consumer Updates

Unfair contract terms - agreement from firm

Product group: Mortgages (Early repayment charges)

Type of product: Repayment mortgage

Name of firm: Blemain Finance Limited

What did we think was unfair?

A term in Blemain's repayment mortgage contract said if a customer repaid their mortgage early, the firm would calculate the early repayment charge using a formula known as the 'Rule of 78'.

Why did we think it was unfair?

Because it could result in the customer paying a charge much higher than would reasonably compensate the firm for charges lost through early repayment.

What has the firm done?

They advised us that consumer mortgage contracts entered into since January 1998 have not contained the term.

For mortgages entered into before 1998, Blemain advised us they use both the Rule of 78 and a different method to calculate the charge, with the customer paying the lower of the two.

Other information

Blemain provided us with documentation confirming they gave the Office of Fair Trading an informal assurance they would stop using the term in November 1997. This agreement formally adds to that assurance.

They also advised us that by 31 December 2005 they had written to all non-commercial customers with contracts containing the term to tell them how they calculated settlement of those mortgages – as described above.

If any of Blemain's customers still have concerns about a mortgage contract containing the term they should get in touch with the firm who will be happy to consider the matter further.

Old term

The Borrower may at any time repay the whole of the Principal Sum outstanding but in the event that such repayment shall take place prior to the expiration of the Repayment Period whether at the request of the Borrower or following exercise of the Lender's power of sale the Borrower shall pay the total sum of Principal and Interest calculated in accordance with the formula (known as the Rule of 78) an illustration of which is set out in the Schedule hereto. In addition the Lender shall be entitled but not required to add to the resultant figure an amount equal to six months interest or such lesser figure as may be lawfully permitted for such cases as where a variation of the Rate has been made in accordance with Clause 3 hereof and in such cases for the purposes of calculating the said figure in accordance with said formula the rate of interest shall be deemed to be the Rate as if no variation in accordance with Clause 3 hereof had been made.

Back to recent cases

This page reviewed 19 October 2006

Consumer Home | About Us | Contact Us | FSA Home Page | Legal information | Privacy Policy Statement

© Financial Services Authority

• 3 weeks later...

Loads of stuff missing and minimal and confusing print outs sent (not satements as such) so sent off a letter of non compliance yesterday. Will

Wait to see what comes back

:( Took out a mortgage with the lancashire mortgage corporation [blemain finance] in jan 01 for £7500 over 180 months at £122.29 per month 24.62% APR. After making 32 payments on time £3913 I decided to remortgage with the abbey at a much better rate so wrote to the Lancashire for a redemption figure,cant remember what it was however after paying anoyher 6-7 payments I wrote again as I was ready to move to the abbey and despite paying 6-7 more payments of £122.29 the redemption figure they quoted was £350 more than the previous figure.

I wrote to them for an explaination and this was the reply

Your loan was for the sum of £7500 taken over a 15 year term. This loan being under £25,000,is regulated by the consumer credit act. This actprovides us with the calculations which we must use when compiling a settlement figure.

In essence, on a 15 year loan assuming all payments made on time, a settlement firure will rise in the early part of the loan. At the time this loan was redeemed you were only 2.5 years into a 15 year loan. Hence the settlement figure was slightly higher than the figure quoted to you 6-7 months previously.

I hope this answers your query.

What the hell does that mean?

So my £7500 loan paid off after 32 months with the redemption figure of £9,650.30 cost me the total sum of £13,565,30 IS THIS LEGAL? or have i been ripped off big time:confused:

Just looking in my t,s and c,s about early redemption and found no reference to rule of 78 only [Rebate on early settlement regulations 1983]. Although at the bottom of the page it states that the consumer credit act 1974 coveres this agreement. Going to look into these acts and regulations and will post my findings, im on a mission now!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks