Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jun 2008

Default M&S Car Insurance

I recently cancelled my direct debiticon for the car insurance as the vehicle has been sold and the policy is no longer required.

Just received a lettericon stating that if DDicon not put back in place then the policy would be cancelled, fine I thought. Called M&S to tell them that the policy was no longer required.

The person on the phone then said this was not a problem and that the policy was cancelled immediately, they then went through a number of figures and stated that I now owe them a large sum of money.

I questioned this, to which the person said we will atttempt to take it by direct debit which I said you will not, I was then told you must pay by credit or debit card again I said no, and stated that I would like to see an invoice to ascertain what these costs were.

My question is what are they trying to charge me for and secondly is this allowed?

ska

Basic Account Holder
    mathmagician Novitiate

Cagger since : Oct 2008

Default Re: M&S Car Insurance

Right, firstly what does it say in your policy regarding cancellations?

Secondly, just because you were paying monthly doesn't mean that you were receiving cover on a monthly basis. It was just a way of spreading the cost of a year's policy (with added interest of course). You can't get out of a policy these days without some kind of fee being charged. Of course if it is outrageously big then I would certainly recommend kicking up a fuss.

Basic Account Holder

I am just digging out the policy docs at the moment, secondly the fee seems overly high to me.

Can they just take a direct debiticon despite it being cancelled and my telling them that I do not give them permission?

Also when I took the policy I knew that it potentially would not be for the year and I questioned them on this and was told not a problem and that there would not be any significant charges applied.

ska

Basic Account Holder
    mathmagician Novitiate

No they can't take it once the DDicon has been cancelled. Let's start with the t&c and take from theres.

Basic Account Holder

If you cancel your policy:

1 month 20%
    2 months 30%
    3 months 40 %
    4 months 50%
    5 months 60%
    6 months 70%
    7 months 80%
    8 months 90%
    9 months onwards 100%

No claims have been made on the policy and no mention of additional charges.

Basic Account Holder
    mathmagician Novitiate

I am assuming those figures are based on having bought the policy in full and represents how much of the total policy cost you are liable for. So if you cancelled a 200 policy for argument's sake within one month you would pay 40 so got a refund of 160.

It becomes more complicated when you spread the costs by DDicon. Going to need some figures here.
    What was the cost of the policy (including any interest charges for paying by DD) and how many months into the policy have you cancelled?

Basic Account Holder

Policy total 397.02 with monthly payment charge 436.85 and 8 months into policy.

advance payment 33.07
    1st payment 36.78
    further monthly 36.70

ska

Basic Account Holder
    mathmagician Novitiate

Right, I'm guessing their argument is that you would have paid them 436.85. With it being 8 months into the policy you are liable for 90% of the total cost.

Therefore 436.85 x 0.9 = 393.17

Then if I understand your payments correctly it would be:
    33.07+36.78 and seven months @ 36.70 means you have paid off 326.75.

The difference between those two figures would be 66.42.
    How much are they asking for?

Basic Account Holder

about 90?

ska

Basic Account Holder
    mathmagician Novitiate

Was I correct on the number of payments you have made?

They might also be putting on an adminicon charge.

Basic Account Holder

Yes correct on the number of payments made, no mention of adminicon charges except for the following

OTHER CHARGES: ADMINISTRATION FEE - If you make an underwriting change to your policy after the first 14 days, we may charge an administration fee of 25.

ska

Basic Account Holder
    mathmagician Novitiate

It's possible that they are putting an extra 25 quid on and that takes us up to 91 pounds-ish which matches the figure they are quoting you. With it all being written in the T&C it looks like they have got you there I'm afraid...

It is galling to have 67% of the cover (8 months out of 12) and pay 90% of the cost...

Basic Account Holder

As they may charge an adminicon fee then I believe that I may choose not to acknowledge it

ska

Basic Account Holder
    mathmagician Novitiate

You can certainly querry it, however in my experience, if it's written in the T&C they won't be interested in any complaints you make. Insurers are like any large financial institution, pretty vile

It's because of things like this that I rarely cancel insurance and just let it run even if I no longer need it as it often pays dividends in the form of NCB for example.

Royalties Account Holder unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2010

My advice is to pay up, as otherwise you will come to regret it. The Insurers will count non payment as a debt like any other. After writing to you, if you did not pay, they would pass this to a debt collectionicon agency, who would attempt to collect, adding their own fees, making the amount owed a lot higher. If you did not pay, they would add this debt to your credit record as a default. It is also possible that they could take you to court and obtain a CCJ.

For 91, I don't think it is worth the hassle.

You are of course entitled under FSA rules to ask for a full breakdown of the cancellation charges in writing, before you make payment.

Basic Account Holder

I have already asked for an invoice with a full breakdown of where these costs are coming from. I no doubt expect that this will not be what they send but I will then request in writing and until such time as they produce the breakdown I will consider the account to be in dispute.

A disputed account can not be passed legally to a debt collectionicon agency and the DA will drop it like hot potato when they know the account is in disputeicon.

ska

Basic Account Holder
    mathmagician Novitiate

true enough in the short term, but your file will be marked and really it isn't worth the hassle.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details