Housing Benefit Overpayment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Could anyone give me advice on this. Husband just received letter from Council saying that two years ago they overpaid us £90 and demanding it back. It was a time when he got a job that lasted a month but we definitely told them exactly what was going on - starting dates and everything. I know its not a lot of money but husband on JSA at the moment and we could really do without it. There's no explanation that we can understand. Can they just demand money from two years ago?

HI,

They can demand but it is whether they or you made a mistake. If it was their own fault then you shouldn't be liable.

You could appeal the decision and see what they come back with.

If you still don't agree, you can complain but if they start threatening court action, it would be better to pay a little each week but make them aware that you are disputing the whole amount.

See if they will do a retrospective benefit assessment or even housing benefit run-on for the period your husband was working.

I'm no expert on HB issues. I'm just telling you what I did

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE