• Tweets

• This is kind of related but does anyone know since I have this ban from entering UAE because of my loan, can I visit Qatar? 
    • Thank you for that i thought id just ask as i was unsure.  Just hope its returned to me and doesnt spend the rest of its life going back and forth to Singapore  
    • Thanks @lolerz. I've attached it to the post. What do you think? What's the organ grinder? NTK.pdf
    • I'm afraid that if the value of the item was under declared then that is probably the best that you can hope for. Also, because the item was incorrectly addressed – even by a single letter, if that because the issue relating to the delivery then that has probably compounded the problem. There is probably very little that can be done. If you are lucky you will get the item back and then you can start again and declare it properly. Undervaluing parcels which are sent by any means is always going to cause a problem if the item is lost or damaged. It may mean that the cost of delivery is slightly less – but at the end of the day the risk becomes yours. When you enter into any kind of contract, effectively you declare it a level of risk to your contracting partner – and they decide to enter into the contract with you based on that level of risk. You have declared a level of risk and £50 – and that's the deal.   Additionally, undervaluing an item which is an internationally has the effect also of evading customs and any VAT system which is in force in that country – and that makes the whole thing a little bit more serious
    • Perfect. Nice and brief and to the point. You don't bother to start telling your life story. Just the way it should be. Send it off. You have probably done enough reading to understand that it won't make any difference don't start drafting your particulars of claim. Open an account with the MoneyClaim County Court system and start preparing. Post your particulars of claim here before you click it off. You may have noticed that at some point you will be asked if you want to go to mediation on this. We used to advise it but now we recommend that you decline mediation and go to trial. Your chances of success are much better than 95%. Going to trial will incur an additional hearing fee but of course you will get that back. However if you go to mediation, they will simply try to penny pinch and to get you to compromise and also they will sign you up to a confidentiality agreement and probably threaten you if you breach it. Not only that, if the mediation fails because you stand your ground, it will add additional delay while they then give you a date to go to trial. The best thing to do is to decline mediation – prepare for court hearing. Pay the extra fee. The chances are that rather than get a judgement against them they will then offer you a full settlement rather than go to court. If they do offer you full settlement then you will be obliged to accept it – but that's what you want. If they don't offer you full settlement then you will go to trial and there will be a judgement against them. Just so that you understand, our first interest is that you get your money back – but a close second is that it does go to trial and there is a judgement which we will then be able to use to help other people. Anyway as you should realise, we will help you all the way.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bookworm v Barclaycard ***she's only been and won it! :-D***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right!

I've had it with them. I've run my cards religiously well for months now, then because of my venetian jaunt and the exchange rate, I skated too close to the edge, and the interest has put me £6.00 over, so I got a £20 charge. :evil:

I was going to leave them till close to last of all my targets, but not anymore. They've p!ssed me off one too many time, now it's payback. Literally. :twisted:

More anon.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you bookworm, best wishes!!

PS. thats what i hate about barclays, if they add interest and that puts you over the limit they charge you!!

This is the only time i would commend capital one, but they wont charge you for going over your limit if they apply the interest charges.

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

sent reminder email on 17/4/06

called abbey on 19/04/06 to remind them:rolleyes:

sent another email on 26/04/06:mad:

Approx charges £2500

received £500 refund in dec 06

sent LBA

Capital one- sent DPA letter 17/03

Sent prim letter for charges of £260 14/04

Received a refund £109 awaiting further refund of £151

Settled IN FULL

Barclay card- Sent DPA letter 17/03 sent reminder 14/04

received info claiming £120

settled in FULL

They b****** well charged me! What's this? Sexism?

Oh dear, woopps they dont charge me..... perhaps its because i've phoned them up every time and complained.

Although i'm not sure if they have charged me during the early years, i've been with them for over 5 years. :shock:

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

sent reminder email on 17/4/06

called abbey on 19/04/06 to remind them:rolleyes:

sent another email on 26/04/06:mad:

Approx charges £2500

received £500 refund in dec 06

sent LBA

Capital one- sent DPA letter 17/03

Sent prim letter for charges of £260 14/04

Received a refund £109 awaiting further refund of £151

Settled IN FULL

Barclay card- Sent DPA letter 17/03 sent reminder 14/04

received info claiming £120

settled in FULL

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what do you know. Got a big DHL delivery this morning. In it, a handful of copy statements going back to june 04, a huge bundle of computer printout, and a now familiar letter saying blah blah microfiche system...

Going through the printout, which is an account history, you could call it. It does not state the dates I was charged or amounts, but it shows that in the history of the account, there were x times of going over the limit, x times of late payments...

The way I see it, I can do the following: send prelim letter stating I estimate, based on the limited info they have given me, that they have charged me, say 40 times at £20 a time. (It's actually a lot more than that, and there's 2 cards, each charged too!)

Since I have no way of working out if charges were lower for any of those times, or if they refunded any of those at any time, I demand the refund of all at max price.

If they want to say some are statute barred, or the charge was £15 at the time, or they refunded me some of those charges, in my mind, they will have to go retrieve the info. They will then have to explain how come this info was not made available to me, when it clearly was to them.

Either way, I should be able to take it to the IC.

Case scenario 1: They refund. Great, just a complaint to the IC then, as I really want to nip that behaviour in the bud.

Case scenario 2: They refuse. Court claim ensues. I can estimate the amount again, making sure that it is known that I couldn't be more precise because of them. Problem is how to work out the 8% then? Average so many charges per year, at a monthly/3 monthly/6 monthly interval, to spread out an everage interest? Would that be an acceptable way of doing things?

This is actually a fairly big claim for me. At 1st glance, I've worked out it's nearly 3k of charges alone. The interest would be likely to push it over the 5k. However, as it's 2 separate cards, that might not be a problem.

Comments and thoughts very welcome, please.

If Barclays havent supplied the actual charges applied to account and you have no way of finding this & you enter a estimate figure on your claim, Is it not up to Barclays to prove your information incorrect????

If they turn up in court rejecting the amount quoted, the Judge wont look lightly on this as you gave them the opportunity to supply this. As we all know the Courts favour it when we try and resolve any problems before hearing.

I would work out the interested on the estimated figures on a average charge per month. But try and make it seem fair. That keeps the Judges happy.

Wont it have to go to Fast Track if you go over £5k?

Barclays - £4k - Hearing Date 19th Sept 06

Smile - £370 - Refunded in Full

Capitla One - £100 LBA 25/5

Virgin ? Data Protection Act 25/5

2 cards (1 visa, 1 Mastercard), 2 claims. I will work out the figures, if I can do it 1 claim, great, if not, then split it that way.

Thanks for your reply, it confirms my feeling.

Good luck BW.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I do not need luck, I need JUSTICE!

You WANT justice...and I am sure you will get it, justice I also expect to get it! :rolleyes:

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Right, here goes: pleasecommentblinkie1.gif

Barclaycard

Barclaycard House

PO Box 5592

Northampton

NN4 1ZY

Saturday, 08 April 2006

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBERS: xxxxx & xxxx

I note that following my DPA request, you sent me statements only going back as far as June 04, alongside a large computer printout containing some information about my account.

As Im sure you are very aware, the reason for requesting the information was to ascertain the amount of unlawful charges applied to my account, prior to placing a request for refund. Unfortunately, due to your reluctance to actually supply me with the information requested, I have no alternative but to estimate the amount actually applied to my accounts over the years.

From the printout supplied, I can see that on the Mastercard account, there have been, as far as I can ascertain, 40 over the limit charges and 22 missed (late?) payment charges; On the Visa account, 45 over the limit charges and 27 missed payment charges; In total, 134 charges.

Since you have not supplied me with the dates at which these charges have been incurred, or how much was charged each time, I have no way of knowing precisely and have therefore decided to apply the current rate of £ 20.00 per penalty charge.

134 charges x £ 20.00 = £ 2 680.00, or £ 1 240.00 on Mastercard, £ 1 440.00 on Visa.

It is my opinion, and that of the Office of Fair Trading (OFT), that these charges are punitive in nature, not a genuine pre-estimate of cost and not intended to reimburse your losses for a breach of contract occurring. You will by now be aware that the OFT has further pronounced in their latest statement that any charge over £ 12.00 would be automatically deemed a penalty charge, as per English Law and the 1999 Consumer Credit Regulations, and the Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 which require that contract terms be reasonable.

Accordingly I request that you return to me the sum of £ 2 680.00 by way of personal cheque within 7 days of receipt of this letter. If you choose not to do so, I will start proceedings for recovery in the County Courts. If I have to start court proceedings, you will become liable for my court costs and for an extra 8% APR as permitted under the County Courts Act (1984).

I also reserve the right to make a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner for your failure to fully comply with my DPA request, as I do not believe that you could not supply the requested information if youd wanted to, and that the microfiche issue is nothing but an attempt to circumvent the Act.

If I have to go to court, I will of course advise the Courts of the circumstances behind my estimated claim amount, which is your failure to supply me with the requested information when requested, even though the said information was requested under the Data Protection Act.

It may well be, of course, that the amount of £ 2 680.00 is incorrect, and I am quite happy to stand corrected on the amount, and to accept a lower repayment, as long as you can provide evidence of it.

Yours faithfully

Bookworm

commentswelcomeblinkie2.gif

Going through the printout, which is an account history, you could call it. It does not state the dates I was charged or amounts, but it shows that in the history of the account, there were x times of going over the limit, x times of late payments...

Whereabouts in the print out was that info? What was the page title?

If I can find that info in my I might put a speculative £30 per month claim in for the months I can?

Abbey (Charges on 3 accounts and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 30/03/06 - 40 days limit is 9th May - Recieved DPA printouts 05/04/06 with microfiche "fob off" letter. <p>Barclaycard (Charges on 1 account and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 03/04/06 - 40 days limit is 13th May - Recieved some statements 08/04/06 along with DPA printout and a microfiche "fob off" letter. Claim for £340 sent 11/04/06

annoying situation to be in Bookworm..

did you pay the £10 for DPA request? If so, Barclays are as you know required to submit full disclosure... it sounds to me like they haven't. Now if they are genuinely unable to furnish you with any more than a vague summary - I suggest that they are in clear breach of not simply the DPA, but also FSA regulations whereby they are required to maintain records for six years... therefore I would also consider adding to your prelim letter that you are considering reporting them to the Financial Ombudsman Service for failing to maintain accurate or complete records in accordance with FSA regulations - as this is clearly hampering your ability to pursue a claim and therefore warrants complaint to FOS...maybe worthwhile browsing the FOS/FSA website just to confirm this breach?

Anyway good luck...

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

Right, here goes:

Perfect - you should take up writing these letters for a living...I'm sure you'd be very busy indeed...good luck with this.

annoying situation to be in Bookworm..

did you pay the £10 for DPA request? If so, Barclays are as you know required to submit full disclosure... it sounds to me like they haven't. Now if they are genuinely unable to furnish you with any more than a vague summary - I suggest that they are in clear breach of not simply the DPA, but also FSA regulations whereby they are required to maintain records for six years... therefore I would also consider adding to your prelim letter that you are considering reporting them to the Financial Ombudsman Service for failing to maintain accurate or complete records in accordance with FSA regulations - as this is clearly hampering your ability to pursue a claim and therefore warrants complaint to FOS...maybe worthwhile browsing the FOS/FSA website just to confirm this breach?

Anyway good luck...

You see, Ed, the problem is that this is how Barclaycard have now tried to stop every DPA request in its tracks. They're saying the info beyond june 04 is stored by microfiche, which is not covered by the Act (that part is correct, it's not) and therefore don't have to supply it.

What I've done here is say: ok, then I estimate you owe me that much. Prove me wrong. Either way, they shoot themselves in the foot: either they pay up the higher amount (fine by me, :D ) or they give me the right amount, in which case, I'll be asking how come they didn't supply me with the right info in the 1st place, and go to the IC with that.

I've done it this partly to try and stop them using that as an excuse to other people if I can.

I think I will use your letter and have a "Punt" and let them correct it. If they correct it it proves to me they have easy access to information to which I am not privy and they will therefore be in trouble under the DPA.

Abbey (Charges on 3 accounts and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 30/03/06 - 40 days limit is 9th May - Recieved DPA printouts 05/04/06 with microfiche "fob off" letter. <p>Barclaycard (Charges on 1 account and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 03/04/06 - 40 days limit is 13th May - Recieved some statements 08/04/06 along with DPA printout and a microfiche "fob off" letter. Claim for £340 sent 11/04/06

Ya I agree with Heppy.. I mean they are going to HAVE to investigate your complaint/request for refund, then respond with their offer at some point.. (unlikely to be the £2K) but this will then give you opportunity to re-approach and say "how did you guys arrive at this figure" if they can prove it is based on actual fees/charges applied to account then good... If not see 'em in court when they will have to disclose..

Chances are they will offer to settle for an amount reasonably close the genuine figure prior to court date anyway?

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

I'd be happy for them to try to take it to court, and explain to the judge why they didn't disclose the accurate figure to me... Considering that both parties have a duty to try to reach an agreement without going to court, that would be peachy! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Any update yet after the LBA was sent?

I'm new to this site and I'm going to start the step by step procedings with Barclays, I have been overcharged constantly over the last 4-5 years and would like to know how you got on with them.

Tony.

Well, there wouldn't be yet, would there, since I only wrote it a couple of hours ago, lol.

Now, now Bookworm...!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks