• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS cc closed account which address?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone

Just completed a claim with HSBC, went quite well.

I've just read the contacts page and there are quite a few addresses for RBS cc. The account is now closed and I paid the debt off in full when they offered me a payment of 1125 against a 1500 debt, I had just received a bonus so I took them up on it. this was a couple of years ago.

So I've already gathered that I can still claim for charges even though the account is closed, but what address do I send the DPA letter to. Thanks in advance.

HSBC Prelim Letter sent 08/08 recorded delivery requesting £1645 - offer made of £1420 on 18/08 and accepted

:) - a HUGE ;) thanks to CAG.

22/08 DPA to Capital One Sent recorded delivery

22/08 DPA to RBS Advanta Sent recorded delivery

ALWAYS USE RECORDED DELIVERY

Hi

Although your branch would be fine (they have a great internal department postal system) best you send directly to the Credit Card Centre in Essex, as thats where it will go eventually. Here:s the address:

The Data Protection Officer

RBS Credit Cards

Credit Card Operations

PO Box 5747

Southend on Sea

Essex

SS1 9AJ

Also ensure to send recorded delivery.

Telewest v RBS

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland-bank/61214-telewest-rbs.html[/url]

Telewest v A&L

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/61215-telwest-l.html[/url]

Telewest v Halifax

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/63775-telewest-halifax.html[/url]

If I've helped - hit the scales and rate me!

excellent telewest thanks

i've one question actually which is really bugging me

because the Debt Collection Agency reduced the payment from £1500 to £1125, can they deduct that from the amount I am claiming. Ok lets say they I raise a claim for £500, are they within their right to turn round and say - Ok we will pay the £500, however due to the fact we waived charges of 375, we are duducting this from the £500 and will send you payment of £125. Can I contest that decision.

Thanks in advance

HSBC Prelim Letter sent 08/08 recorded delivery requesting £1645 - offer made of £1420 on 18/08 and accepted

are they within their right to turn round and say - Ok we will pay the £500, however due to the fact we waived charges of 375, we are duducting this from the £500 and will send you payment of £125

I wouldnt of thought so - if they have agreed and have indeed waived, I cant see how they can change their stance (which is what deducting the 375 would be in effect doing) regardless of the fact you are making a claim.

Telewest v RBS

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland-bank/61214-telewest-rbs.html[/url]

Telewest v A&L

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/61215-telwest-l.html[/url]

Telewest v Halifax

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/63775-telewest-halifax.html[/url]

You can only claim for what you have actually paid in charges, if you have not paid them because they were waived then how can you claim them back?

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

thanks its becoming a bit of a minefield. HSBC went so well but now I read in another forum that once a debt has been sold you cannot claim from the card issuer. I'm getting confused but I know with the kind help of the MODS and people such as yourself telewest, I will get there.

Regards

You can only claim for what you have actually paid in charges, if you have not paid them because they were waived then how can you claim them back?

Yes granted, but then whats to say I turn round and claim that the reduction was of the acutaly money owed, and that in actual fact I still did indeed end up paying the fees etc, how can they prove that the 375 they took off the debt was in actual fact some of the late fees etc, they did not state this in the letter.

I read in another forum that once a debt has been sold you cannot claim from the card issuer

Doesnt sound right to me. Regardless of the fact that the debt has been sold by the card issuer to a third party Debt Company, the fact still remains that a constiuent of that debt is made up of unfairly charged penalties, which the card issuer charged. Therefore I dont see how you couldnt take the card issuer to court and say of the 2000 the debt co are chasing for, you want a refund of the 500 of charges.

but then whats to say I turn round and claim that the reduction was of the acutaly money owed, and that in actual fact I still did indeed end up paying the fees etc, how can they prove that the 375 they took off the debt was in actual fact some of the late fees etc, they did not state this in the letter

Sure someone will be quick to correct me if I am wrong, but based on the fact that it is you potentially issuing litigation and taking the issuer to court to reclaim charges, the onus is on you to prove that. Circumspect arguments need to be legally justified and evidenced.

Telewest v RBS

Telewest v A&L

Telewest v Halifax

I wed them something like 1800, I paid off 100 a month, when the debt got to 1500 I recieved this letter.

Allied International Credit

17 Feb 2005

Dear xxxx

RE: RBS CARD SERVICES (MINT PR)

CLient ref no: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

AIC ref no: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Balance outstanding £1500

SETTLEMENT OFFER

As you have maintained an agreed payment plan you have shown willingness and commitment to repay your liability to our client

To recognise this fact and reward you for your recent efforts, we, as a gesture of goodwill, are willing to offer you a settlement figure top enable you to clear the above outstanding balance at a reduced rate.

We are therefore prepared to accept a one off payment of £1, 125.00 which should be received in our office no later than 28 February 2005

If we receive this payment by the required date, this will mean a total saving to you of £375.00 and we will also close your account and mark it as settled.

then it goes on about making a payment by debit card, and its a temp offer could get withdrawn. And if I cannot accecpt call them in the future blah blah blah,

I did pay them the £1125 as I has just got a bonus from work.

I will be calling AIC tomorrow to ask them directly if the debt was sold to them or of they were acting on behalf of RBS, the letter implies they were acting

Bloody glad I kept the letter what a bit of luck

I hear what you are saying Telewest, I will try and link the other thread to this one, the guy who responded was a MOD though, I might try and PM him anyway. Regardless of this the DPA letters are still gonna get sent tomorrow.

You mean which individual pound comprised a fee and which indvidual pound was spending on the card?

Reminds me of a Laurel and Hardy sketch once, Stan and Ollie were down on their luck and could only afford one drink. They planned to share it but Stan drank the whole glass. Ollie protested that half of that drink was his and why did Stan drink it all? Stan replied, "I had to, my half was on the bottom!"

I really think you need to look at the statements, as you have clearly done and subtract anything you have actually spent on the card (including interest charged), then subtract the discount they gave you for early settlement and whatever is left can be claimed. To attempt to claim money that you have not actually paid or to pretend that the discount applies to "different money" is

to be no better than the banks.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

I will be calling AIC tomorrow to ask them directly if the debt was sold to them or of they were acting on behalf of RBS, the letter implies they were acting

Dont think a phone call is necessary. RBS have over 22million current account holders and over 8 million credit card accounts (including NW and all other RBS groups) they are a huge banking force and would not outsource their collections accounts, nor require an external company to act on their behalf.

When AIC refer to client (as in RBS) I would summise that refers to the company that AIC has relationships with who has sold the debt to them (again RBS in this case) Im pretty sure your debt was sold.

Pretty ****ty offer as well to be honest, but well done for resisting temptation and actually paying it off.

Ive checked btw on the off change AIC were a subsidary or were owned by RBS - but they are definately not. Your debt was sold as far as I can see.

To attempt to claim money that you have not actually paid or to pretend that the discount applies to "different money" is

to be no better than the banks

Well said, and as BF and other mods reiterate reguarly Consumer Action Group disassociates itself from these kinds of immoral suggestions/actions.

Telewest v RBS

Telewest v A&L

Telewest v Halifax

hagenUK, yes excellent that makes total sense to me, and thanks I was getting a bit ahead of myself there, however it would still be nice though. What I will claim for though is the charge of AIC, the DCA, I think they added a good few hundred pounds on the debt if I remember, anyway I'm calling them tomorrow.

thanks again hagenUK

No probs. You might also like to look at charging the contractual rate of interest. I am doing that on a few of mine. One of which is only a few hundred pounds but with the interest at 29.9% (which was their cash advance interest rate) it soon mounts up. It has yet to be tested but the idea is sound in that the rate is justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity and is based on the Cash Advance interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the account.

right then

if this is the case then both you and HAGEN have valid rights

HAGENUK for saying that I can't claim what I havent paid out

But also Telewest as the debt was sold to them, so regardless of my dealings with AIC, thats got nothing to do with RBS because they lost all rights as soon as the debt was sold. I'm claiming charges applied to the account when it was RBS so it is there responsibility.

Do you see what I mean? It is a tad confusing. This is the same situaltion I am in with EGG and Capital 1......gees I must get that link to the thread regarding DCA's.

thanks HAGENUK i will look into that, I know I ask a lot of questions but I've been on here all day gathering info, I think today I've been on here for at least 8 hours, due to the fact I'm claiming against EGG, CAP 1 and RBS. MOST of the info one needs can be found simply by reading other threads, however there's not too much info about when the debt is sold. Or at least I haven't stumbled across it yet.

so regardless of my dealings with AIC, thats got nothing to do with RBS because they lost all rights as soon as the debt was sold

This is true. The point I was making is that if you wish to contest and enter into litigation to seek recompense for penalty charges then it has to go to RBS as they applied the penalties, not AIC.

Telewest v RBS

Telewest v A&L

Telewest v Halifax

ok, again that makes sense, and I will deduct the 325 form the amount, but will add the charge AIC made however I understand I need to claim that charge from AIC.

That will be fun, in fact I really look forward to that as they would not reduce the 1125 to 1000, even though they bought it for next to nothing.

as they would not reduce the 1125 to 1000, even though they bought it for next to nothing.

How do you know how much AIC acquired the debt for ?

Telewest v RBS

Telewest v A&L

Telewest v Halifax

after reading some info in other forums its been said that the debt is bought at a much reduced rate, someone mentioned 0.02 pence for every pound, someone else has said 10%.

the debt is bought at a much reduced rate, someone mentioned 0.02 pence for every pound, someone else has said 10%

It would be fantastic to have an insider registered on the forum to corroborate this - but I very much doubt either value quoted above is accurate. I know that RBS run a sliding scale where the fee is in conjuction with the total amount of debt outstanding (therefore the potential gain to the debt co)

Id gestimate nearer the 35-40 % mark for those banks who dont operate a matrix sliding scale such as RBS and NW.

Telewest v RBS

Telewest v A&L

Telewest v Halifax

hi there,

found the thread, one of the mods says it has to be claimed back from the debt collection agency

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/23593-do-i-claim-bank.html

but he is the only one so far who has claimed this, he is a mod though.

Id gestimate nearer the 35-40 % mark for those banks who dont operate a matrix sliding scale such as RBS and NW

@telewest - check the following link - chap recons 7-12%

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/3525-debt-collection-agencies.html

I still dont think its any lower than 20%, not much point in gestimating as only the banks and Debt Co's know - never know we might get an Aktiva insider registering soon!

Telewest v RBS

Telewest v A&L

Telewest v Halifax

TBH I would agree with you on this one, I mean rather then sell a debt for 10 - 20 %, why not keep it yourself and get your collections department to chase it. Maybe we are missing something.

I tell you what though this AIC/RBS is a mienefield, I've had so many different answers, some say claim from RBS, others say AIC. Havent read the full threads though I've been on here all day so pretty tired I'll read one thread a day, then get the DPA letters sent, and take it at one step at a time.