Disabled road tax Q?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My dad has just bought a new car (well 2nd hand but new to him) from a main Audi dealers. There is still some tax left on it but he has exemption road tax certificate which he will use when current tax runs out. Normally when he’s bought cars in the past, the previous owner sends off the log book & once it comes back in his name he then sends it off again to have the taxation class changed from PLG to disabled. On this occasion the garage has given him the main V5 for him to complete and send off to DVLA.

Can he change the taxation class at the same time as completing the new keeper details, or can he only do that after its come back in his name? The small print on the V5 says “The taxation class can only be changed on relicensing and to apply at your nearest DVLA office" (which is miles away).

heya

i work for a large car company, and when im taxing brand new cars, if they are status E exempt, then i have to see the DLA evidence and complete this online. With this situation im not too sure. What insurance did he use? did he use his own or motabilitys?

When its the other way round and we have an exemption log book for a car we are selling and need to change it back to normal, we have to take this to the local dvla office, so i suspect he will have to do the same as he will require a new tax disc. (he may even get to cash in the current tax disc and get the funds back! i would just give the DVLA a call on 0300 790 6801 .

Good luck!

Cheers. Yes he’s got his own insurance, notified change of car before picking it up. Just checked on askmid and it’s now showing as insured which it wasn’t last time I looked so must now be on the system. Still a bit left on current tax so at least it gives time to sort the disabled out – or as you say could surrender it for the cash and use the exempt cert for a new one. Just noticed though that the V5 that the garage gave him has not been signed. Says by law both seller & buyer must sign so looks like he’ll have go back anyway.

So? Considering the DVLA are the only people to be able to fix the problem within a 5 minute visit to a public counter. Is this not preferable?

Clearly you much prefer the idea of faffing around interminably shuffling documents than resolving the issue at once. There are times when biting the bullet is the best option, unless of course you have plenty of time to waste.

Please keep it civil on the thread please.

Lex

(Two posts removed for continuity)

Edited by Mr lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

register car as disabled it then cannot be taxed as normal.Only by presenting your dla entitlement form showing you are on full mobility will you get free tax and also once its registered as disabled you no longer have to pay the congestion charges or the fee for using dartford crossing.

starion

register car as disabled it then cannot be taxed as normal.Only by presenting your dla entitlement form showing you are on full mobility will you get free tax and also once its registered as disabled you no longer have to pay the congestion charges or the fee for using dartford crossing.

starion

You would have to register with TFL in order to get exemption from congestion charge and it applies to the one vehicle that is registered. There is a fee charged for registereing, IIRC about £10.

• 3 weeks later...
You would have to register with TFL in order to get exemption from congestion charge and it applies to the one vehicle that is registered. There is a fee charged for registereing, IIRC about £10.

You are only exempt from Dartford Crossing fees if you pre-register and supply proof of ownership of the vehicle, proof of your identity and proof of entitlement to DLA Mobility, higher rate. Like the congestion charge, it's applicable only to the vehicle it's registered against, as well.

In my experience of doing exactly what the OP has to when I got my car, it was actually much easier to do everything at the "local" (miles away) DVLA Licencing Office. It was very quick, efficient and painless - I got the VED on the spot, and the V5 followed about 3-4 weeks later. Otherwise, as suggested elsewhere on this thread, it would have meant a lot of unnecessary paperwork shuffling and delay.

slight confusion on tfl

if your car is registered as zero road tax then TFL see it on on the system Automatically , however their is an additional scheme which you pay about £25 now ( one off payment ) where you can change the car reg for short periods of time , eg you have a loan car because of a service etc , you will be travelling in another car etc, or update the records when you get a new car

when the Con charge first came out TFL confused a lot of disabled drivers , by giving the impression it was going to be £25 for everyone to register (whereas in fact Zero road tax makes the car auto exempt ) then when they got it right it was only £10 to reg for the first year of the con charge, and a few months later they did update their web site giving the correct information, I.E, those with ZERO RT need not register but it did explained the benifits if you do, being able to change your car details on line etc, before it was hidden away in some obscure corner, they said it was a simple mistake of course , yeh @ £25 a pop !! maybe :mad:

HOWEVER if you have a BLUE BADGE and DO NOT GET zero road tax you MUST reg with TFL to get the exemption and pay their one off reg fee, you can then change the car details if you are driving / travelling in another car, dont forget to change it everytime the car changes etc

some TFL info here

Any individual or institution in the European Economic Area that holds a valid Blue Badge is eligible to register for a 100 per cent discount, even if you don't own a vehicle or drive.

You can register up to two vehicles that you would normally use to travel within the charging zone. This could be your own vehicle, or one you travel in.

Blue Badge holders | Transport for London

dartford tunnel

as far as I know you stop @ the booth say disabled and you car is exempt ( they also give you a small ticket to put basic details and sign on each visit ) guy comes out of booth and checks the road tax it is zero, there is no other paper work / letter writing required, well not the last time i went through last year, and dont forget to ask for a new slip of paper,

years back they was giving a disk to display in the windscreen, but rumour has it they were being forged so much the idea was scrapped, and they also declined to give the dart tags out for disabled cars as quote their excuse to me " they cost to much to give away"

Edited by kiptower

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html