My staff is beginning to look pink

mashmallow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5126 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My staff is white and brown, he has very thick flabby skin, but on his neck and around his head he is losing his fur so you can see the colour of his skin coming through as pink. I have not used anything on him baring dog flee shampoo. I don't think it is a flee problem although we did treat him once for puppy mange. He is a bit nervous and shakes when you shout at him./ Could this be a stress thing or a genuine skin problem.

Any advise would be gratefully accepted.

Regards,

Mashmallow:-(

Could possibly be Demodex? Usually starts round the head area.

U shouldnt have to shout at your dog, that could/will make him nervous. I was told that the shaking is sometimes, his brain telling him to do something when his body is wanting something else... ie... when I tell my boy to stop darting round the room, he will sit next to me, and u can see him shivering cos he is really wanting to go run again. :rolleyes:

Thanks for replying. He is a nervous dog, we don't smack him when piddles or poes he just automatically gets nervous. It seems to be on the top of this neck coming down towards the ear and then under the face. We have washed him a copuple of times it calms down then comes back. For a young staff he has a lot of flabby skin around his neck and the top of the neck goes into litlle pink bumps. We put this down to flees but he does not scratch alot another thing is my other female staff and him are always jumping on each other playing which could be a factor because sometimes they get rough. What is dermodex?

Thanks

Mashmallow

Dermodex is a mange - dont fret! - its passed from their mothers milk, if u know the breeder, ask if the mum of your dogs ever had it.

Its very common in Staffys, Bulldogs, most bull breeds!

If caught early can be treat with a shampoo from your vets called Malaseb.

Pink bumps...? Sounds like hives, which is a allergie to something.

My dog becomes red, irritable and looses fur if he comes into contact with certain types of grass! I can keep this under control now as I know where the grass is, but if it does happen I treat him with Piriton tablets.

Do u feed a Hypo-allergenic diet?

Edited by tonixx

Thanks for your advise, I looked up what you said it could be and it sounds right. We took him to the vets once and she said it was mange and gave us Aludrox which is about 17.00 a bottle apparently you have a bath them in it regularly, its quite potent and can be dangerous to other animals. Can I buy this Malaseb online?

Many thanks

Mashmallow

You can buy online but need a perscription. If your vet already as you as of having Aludrox in the past, then he should be able to give u one without having to see your dog - consultation fee!

The vets shouldnt charge over £5 for it, some give them free!

Then you can go to VetUK or Viovet or similar.... theres loads of online GOOD shops!

Ive never heard of Aludrox tbh, but know alot swear by Malaseb, ive never used it myself but have seen the before and after results!

Could also be the start of fox mite (I think this is called sarcoptic mange) - time of year, foxes are out in number, dogs rolling in grass etc.

Did you know, if you would go back to the vet once more, you can get a pipette called "advocate" which kills all nasties known to dogs, including helping to prevent mange. Then you'll only ever need to ring up and order some once a month, will cost you about £9 a pipette.

If you struggle with vets fees, make a good long list to take with you and make the bugger work for his fee! And a quick way of getting a freebie look at his skin and advice on a suitable shampoo - book him in with your surgery for a general heath check with the nurse!

I want to tell you to keep an eye on that play fighting as well, but I guess you know what you are doing with two of the little demons! Just make sure it is you in charge of the play and that you can stop it immediately won't you?

I've never come across a bad staffie yet, I hate all this hype in the papers about them, just wait, we'll have an OAP lose an eye to a yorkie next week and then the hate campaign will turn to them!

In Meridian news tonight they've had an article about staffie types being used as weapons - police boasting about how many they have taken away and destroyed - wish they'd be honest and state it how it is - the dog is doing the owners bidding.

Well at least they said that these people would be treated the same as if they'd used any other weapon - we can breathe a sigh of relief then - the perpetrator in this article killed someone with his dog, so I expect he'll be out in time for his Xmas dinner, and who paid the price for doing what he was told? The dog!

And yeah, the light bulb just went on about the thread title! lol

I agree, dogs all dogs are like children if you abuse them they turn out to be a big monsters. The man who used his dog to attack or even people who use their dogs to attack other animals or people are cowards and need putting down themselves. I cannot and will not understand or accept what is going on with peoples brains all the torture they put innocent animals through for pleasure, I think people are the problem not animals.

We had a litter of 7 pups from the mother which we still have and I dread to think what has happened to them all. I try not to think about them because I get upset, but I should have avoided her getting preganant to start with. Thanks everyone for you input I am going to get some stuff today for him. He is very hyper and I think sometimes the monther dog jumps up on the chair to get some piece and then he starts chasing the cat around. Oh what fun. Just to add more more thing I saw an article in the papers concerning bears, this poor bear was in a cage no bigger than himself he was curled up with no room to move and these japanese were poking him with a stick. These people need shooting.

Regards,

Mashmallow

Hi there

You should always take your dog to the vet for a diagnosis on something like hair loss. Using flea shampoo can severely cause skin irritation. The ingredients are very harsh. This condition could be something as simple as a reaction to the shampoo. I would suggest bathing him in something very mild - such as baby shampoo if you want to bath him.

The vet will be able to tell you what the problem is. The problem could get worse if you try to self-diagnose and that's a real worry with diagnosing symptoms over the internet.

I agree with what you say about the torture of animals but am deeply upset by you stating that you had 7 puppies and "dread to think what has happened to them. I try not to think about them because I get upset."

Did you not vet the prospective owners? Do you not keep in touch with the owners? What makes you "dread" what has happened to them? Did you just give them to anybody who wanted them?

It's good that you have now recognised that you should have avoided getting your bitch pregnant but have you now had her speyed? What happens if your young dog gets to her and she has another litter that you dread to think what has happened to them?

Every person who breeds their dog whether intentionally or unintentionally is responsible for the resultant puppies for the rest of their lives. These puppies did not ask to be born and the least breeders can do is to try and ensure they have gone to a good loving home.

This makes me so angry. The people who sell the puppies to the guys who use their dogs as weapons are just as responsible as them.

Blame the deed, not the breed!!

Gemspan

• 2 weeks later...

Gemspan, you and i may have rather different ideas on dog training etc - but at least we agree on one thing here - its never ever the breed, not even the bloody dog - its the owner every time! It is extremely difficult to get this through to people. LOL