• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS & Redundancy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6418 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In July 2004 I got made redunant. I got another job on 21st September. Between those dates, RBOS bounced 8 direct debits costing me £280. They were aware of my situation but wouldn't give me an overdraft or help in any way.

Am I correct in thinking that they're not entitled to that? When you're unemployed, £280 is a LOT of food and would have been a lot more helpful during my unemployment.

If so, where do I start?

Guest willowb

Hi Steve,

have you just asked for it back? On the phone or in writing.

Do you think that there are more charges on the account over the 6 years?

Wxx

This is why I'm asking. Somehow, I don't think they're going to give the money back if I phone them up and say "Can you give me that money back that you took off me when I was unemployed" nor will I be getting off to a good start with "Hey! You're breaking the law!"

What do I need to say to them? There were a couple of other charges after this while I was trying to sort my finances out.

edite

Telewest v RBS

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland-bank/61214-telewest-rbs.html[/url]

Telewest v A&L

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/61215-telwest-l.html[/url]

Telewest v Halifax

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/63775-telewest-halifax.html[/url]

If I've helped - hit the scales and rate me!

I agree it's not the banks fault I was made redundant. However, there's a lot to be said for giving me an overdraft of £190 to cover £188 of direct debits, or to charge me £280 for not paying them. Either way I ended up with a negative bank balance but doing it their way, I ended up doubling the amount of money I had to pay out as not only did I have to pay my "unauthorised" overdraft back, but I still had to pay the direct debits that they'd refused. So the only winner was RBS.

It wouldn't have taken much for the bank to help me meet my financial obligations but it was easier and more profitable for them to bounce the direct debits.

it was easier and more profitable for them to bounce the direct debits.

Sad but very true Steve - go get that 280 quid !!!

Telewest v RBS

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland-bank/61214-telewest-rbs.html[/url]

Telewest v A&L

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/61215-telwest-l.html[/url]

Telewest v Halifax

[url]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/63775-telewest-halifax.html[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

edited

Telewest v RBS

Telewest v A&L

Telewest v Halifax

steve, do you think youve had any more charges over the years......if the answer is yes then its probaly worth asking for your statements £5 from the branch or £10 for a full dpa request

add them up and go for it

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

There is a period of my life that was a complete mess. In 2001 I had a well paid job with a drunk for a boss. I complained about him and got made "redundant". The job I was made redundant from was immediately advertised and filled about 3 weeks later and I still hadn't received my redundancy payment. I went to a solicitor to claim for unfair dismissal but I got ripped off by the solicitor. Thanks to them, they said they could go to the tribunal and I had a good case but I had to pay my bill. The only way I could pay my bill was with the redundancy cheque and selling my car. So what started off as promises of £35,000 ended up as a debt of £5,000. Then I got another job and that company went in to liquidation 4 months later. I got another job, it lasted 7 months. And then another lasted 4. All redundancies, genuine unlike the first. By this time 26 months had passed and I'd spent almost half of it with no income. I joined the company I with now almost 2 years ago (2 years on the 22nd) and things are looking better. But...

I have a big argument ongoing with first direct who accused me of being a liar when I got made redundant so many times and refused to pay up on payment protection insurance on any of their products that I had from them. They cancelled my account so I went to RBS. This coincided with one of my redundancies and my account went overdrawn a couple of times. On all the occasions it was because of their charges. But the relationship with them was severed when they threatened me with legal action for being 72p overdrawn.

I've been with nationwide for 25 months and my job for almost 24 months and things are definitely getting better. But First Direct still think I owe them money so I've sent them the data protection act letter and I'm going to get back my charges from them and mention their mis-sold payment insurance protection to an ombudsman or two.

So, to eventually answer your question Dave, I wasn't with RBOS for long enough for them to have charged me any more. They were too incompetent.

It's one of those things - I've never been one to let people or companies walk all over me but I didn't know then what they could and couldn't get away with. Now I know, I'm "reclaiming the right". As they say.

Guest BlueRuby

Oh yes, go for their jugular Steve! Every time I read a story like yours I'm appalled that the banks got away with this kind of power-play for so long. Best of luck to you and if you need any help you know where to turn :)

second that !!!

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D