• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Organising Bank Boycotts

blueskies
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There are obviously some institutions that have handled our claims better than others. Barclays, for instance, tend to put up an arguement but don't tend to use underhand tactics to intimidate people into not claiming. Abbey, on the other hand, have used every technique possible to avoid paying money out, from DPA non-compliance, to letting the claimant win by default then calling for a set-aside hearing at which they field a barrister and all the other sly and devious means to put a claimant off.

All the banks are involved in the penalty charges game so it may not be obvious which one to recommend but if, when we set lists of banks to set up parachute accounts with, we recommend banks who behave better towards us, we would be effectively boycotting the others.

Maybe a name and shame system would work.

What do others think about this?

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

• 5 weeks later...

I think its a good idea. To add to this, I tihnk banks ought to be told that we are leaving them for their poor conduct, and equally, new banks ought to be told that they are being used because of the reported way of them dealing reasonably well with complaints and claims.

Barclays - £268 - Moneyclaim

Capital One - £172 - Moneyclaim

Abbey (2nd claim) - Moneyclaim

---------------------------------------------------

HSBC - £2164.46- PAID IN FULL

MBNA - £471 - PAID IN FULL

NatWest - £307 - PAID IN FULL

Abbey Business - £314.15 - PAID IN FULL

I disagree that Barlcays are not using underhand tactics.

They regularly use the microfiche argument to try and frustrate disclosure requests. They put in defences and prolong the litigation process when they have no intention of going to court. They attempt partial settlements. I believe that they had made some spurious Part 18 enquiries, they try to apply conditions of confidence.

I consider that all of this is unnecessary and intimidatory and wasteful of everyone's time and resource.

In fact for along time they had managed to foster a culture among barclays claimants that they were a very fiddicult bank to reclaime from. I don't know how they managed this but I think that the perception has now changed.

I can't think of a single bank which is better than the rest. - maybe the Co-Op but they have so few customers and so few claims that it is not a true comparison.

I also have to say that I think that the banks will be very pleased to have "troublesome" customers leaving them.

I think that boycots are a good idea but it would need such a substantial number of people to leave to have an effect that i don't think that we could make a difference.

I can't say I've found Barclays to be helpful - in fact MBNA were the best, and thats a poor admission coming from me - I usually hate that bank!!

I agree with BF in that none of the banks or money lenders smell of roses but I do think that to some extent it depends which unknown employee happens to deal with your request as proven by my dealings with Abbey (see below). I also agree that it would take many customers leaving to upset the banks & as BF says wouldn't they just be pleased to see the back of us.

AS BF has suggested in his advice on stays. Although not yet affected I am preparing letters for my MP the OFT the FSA & his dog which I will dispatch after posting here for comment

I think Smile (co-ophve been good if a little swamped) , then again they cannot justify their charges as they only ever send an automated message and not a letter.

I'm with Abbey and I don't think they would be upset if I left especially when I put in my claim.

Surely press attention would be better, maybe you organise a protest outside Abbey's head office they would really hate that, I would be up for it, although would have to check with the police etc as you have to get permission to protest nowdays hehe

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.

I view a boycott as not only to have an effect on a boycotted company. I have been on a Nestle boycott for the last 9 years beacuse of their unethical provision of powdered baby milk in developing countries. Given the amount of profit they make from their unethical actions it would take a huge amount of people boycotting their products to make them change. My point of the boycott is not, therefore, to get them to change as such but for me to know that my money isn't involved with it.

If there was a bank that practised completely ethically then I would sign up for an account like a shot.

The bank would

1. not charge unlawful bank charges

2. Not engage in irresponsible lending, causing the borrower to be tied to them with costs to the borrower escalating.

3. Actually follow the Direct Debit Guarantee.

If this involves an account with an annual fee then I am happy with that as I can see that a bank is there to make a profit, as long as that fee is reasonable and advertised so the customer can make an informed decision before signing up.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

oohh, a flying pig just shot past my window

there goes another one!

Ethical consumerism is, finally, beginning to take off in this country. If you need proof then you only have to look at the growing market for fairtrade products.

I think the time has come for financial institutions to follow suit and the natural leader for this should be the cooperative group, due to the way it is run and it's commitments in other areas.

The coop bank already has an ethical stance on investments and this should be extended to the way their customer banking is conducted.

I am a coop member and was very active a few years ago in the CWS and managed to convince the local panel not to include Nestle products when running in store promotions. I will contact my local chair and see if I can get the committee to raise a motion at conference next year.

Please allow me to make a firm & definate entry for Clydesdale/Yorkshire Bank on this list.

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

There are obviously some institutions that have handled our claims better than others. Barclays, for instance, tend to put up an arguement but don't tend to use underhand tactics to intimidate people into not claiming. Abbey, on the other hand, have used every technique possible to avoid paying money out, from Data Protection Act non-compliance, to letting the claimant win by default then calling for a set-aside hearing at which they field a barrister and all the other sly and devious means to put a claimant off.

All the banks are involved in the penalty charges game so it may not be obvious which one to recommend but if, when we set lists of banks to set up parachute accounts with, we recommend banks who behave better towards us, we would be effectively boycotting the others.

Maybe a name and shame system would work.

What do others think about this?

Well ive been boycotting McDonalds for years i dont think they are too bothered about it. :Cry:

My point of the boycott is not, therefore, to get them to change as such but for me to know that my money isn't involved with it.

tricky issue because yes its true you might not have a direct financial link with their immoral practices but somewhere down the line you might. (2nd order, 3rd order etc. If you imagine 1st order connection being something like someone vocally and financially supporting something; A 2nd order connection would be supporting something behind the scenes through another, perhaps more ethical, company)

Also sure it might give you peace of mind to know that you arent willingly supporting the banks but that doesnt stop them screwing over everyone else.

If you see someone commiting a crime do you do what you can to assist? ; prevent them? or walk on by taking no part at all?

The vast majority of society chooses to not engage at all (ie neutral stance: walk on by leaving to other authorities to sort out i.e. they abdicate their personal & ethical responsibility into the hands of state ethical authority. That is, the state authority acts on their behalf) but prefers to continue with their normal day to day lives.

But im not judging you or anyone its hard enough trying to survive day to day without things like this.

CJ

HBOS - Data Protection Act Request 03/08/06

HBOS - Statements received 29/08/06

HBOS - Preliminary Letter Asking for it Back 01/09/06

HBOS - LBA Sent 19/09/06

HBOS - Moneyclaim filed 06/10/06

HBOS - acknowledged claim 11/10/06

HBOS - partial offer received for £716 16/10/06

HBOS - I THINK I MIGHT HAVE WON!! HBOS credit my account

with £2341 + costs/interest!! will know details soon

26/10/06

I've been boycotting McDonalds for years, simply because their food is cr*p!

• 5 months later...
I also have to say that I think that the banks will be very pleased to have "troublesome" customers leaving them.

I think that boycots are a good idea but it would need such a substantial number of people to leave to have an effect that i don't think that we could make a difference.

With regard to troublesome customers, it's troublesome customers who make billions for the industry when they slam on their excessive and unlawful charges.

Why kill the goose that laid the golden egg?

If overnight every customer who clocked up charges was no longer allowed a bank account, the entire indusctry would suffer an enormous lull in profit. I disagree with Bankfodder that the bank want rid of troublesome customers. From an individual point of view yes it would make things easier for them but if we (troublesome customers) were to leave in mass they would sharp realise the error of their ways.

No disrespect to you bankfodder don't worry your'e still my guru.

• 1 month later...

Coming back to Blueskies' boycott of Nestles - we too have boycotted them for years for the same reason. One problem is you hardly ever hear of the campaign yet the suffering of the victims far outweighs anything suffered by victims of bank charges (wit all due respect). Given CAG is for consumer action, is it a suitable forum to raise the profile of a campaign that seeks justice for consumers who may not be able to seek it for themselves?

• 1 month later...
With regard to troublesome customers, it's troublesome customers who make billions for the industry when they slam on their excessive and unlawful charges.

Why kill the goose that laid the golden egg?

Because that goose has taken back all their eggs & will not lay any more anyway now..