• Tweets

• Thank you both, I will make those changes. I have also downloaded the compensation list to add to the evidence and complete the protection bit off their website.  I am going to court next Thursday to deliver the bundle; I will confirm this on Tuesday. I have been to court a few times to represent the military when a soldier is in court, but I will be going. Thank you for all the additional advice. Once I have the whole bundle, I will email it to the admin email. Ill be honest, this is not about the money for me, I do not mind losing that, so I will not be signing a confidentiality agreement.   You guys are amazing
    • Actually there wasn't a massive amount of work to do on the WS.  The "meat" was there because of the great work you'd already done. Here is a version which I think is nigh-on finished. However, with Easter there are a few days for the other regulars to suggest tweaks. Defendant WS.pdf
    • Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer via phone. This part has now failed, as confirmed by the manufacturers who sent out their engineer FOC. This engineer installed a replacement part, our machine came back to life, but sadly they had to remove this part used for testing as "we would be charged for it" otherwise and reinstalled the old faulty board. The retailer are refusing to replace this part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

The Test Case: where it all went wrong

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The title to this thread is the same as the title to the article that can be found here: Test case reflection

I refrain from commenting at length on the article, but will say that I think it is unfair to the OFT. The author argues simultaneously that the OFT got it all wrong and that it was the victim of a rogue decision by the Supreme Court. Whilst it is of course the final decision that counts, I think he is forgetting that the OFT won on the UTCCR point at first instance and in the Court of Appeal and that it terms of judges the score was 5-4. So, whilst in the end the OFT got it wrong, it could not have got it that wrong - pace those who insist that right and wrong are absolute and mutually exclusive. Indeed, I have to ask where the voices were on this forum expressing doubt that the OFT would win the final appeal.

The whole thrust of the author's argument seems to be that we were all doing very well until the courts stepped and told us what the law was. Now of course we would have all been very happy if the final appeal had gone against the bank and then the Director of the OFT would have been shouldered high along Strand amidst scenes of general rejoicing.

No. I think the OFT is being used as a scapegoat and a screen to hide the fact that it was the consumer movement that got it horribly wrong. If the consumer movement is right that the OFT got it wrong, then why do POC need to be changed? Surely they cannot have been drafted on the basis that the OFT was going to win when looking back everyone asserts that the OFT was on a looser all along? It seems though that they were drafted on the basis that the OFT was going to win as it is only after the OFT lost that it is found that POC...er...actually... might need tweaking a bit.

The consumer movement has achieved much and can be proud of its achievements. It proceeds by making consumers aware of their rights, publicising the failure of business to allow consumers their rights and arguing for new rights for consumers. In the case of bank charges it is not so much that it bit off more than it could chew, but that it bit off the wrong bit.

Someone, somewhere whispered that bank charges were contractual penalties and that the UTCCR would ride to the rescue. Those who believed, entirely justifiably, that consumers were being ripped off by banks welcomed the suggestions with open arms. They misled themselves because whilst in ordinary parlance bank charges can be considered either penal or unfair, they are not so in legal terms, at least so far as has been decided to date.

Let's make no mistake about this. The OFT was pressurised into taking on the test case by the consumer movement. The consumer movement backed the OFT. The consumer movement rejoiced when the OFT won at first instance and in the Court of Appeal on the UTTCR - the loss on the point about contractual penalties was dismissed on the grounds that it was never really about that anyway. Come the result from the Supreme Court which went against all expectation, the OFT is suddenly the villain who spoilt it for the rest of us. History has been re-written to airbrush out inconvenient truths.

Huge expectations were raised by the consumer movement that the Supreme Court decision dashed to the ground. I have read no apologies. Instead of retreating with dignity to consider its position, the movement looks like repeating its errors, snatching at the straws of comments made by the judges as an aside and now apparently finding a whole new answer that, if anyone had thought of before, they declined to mention.

The OFT was pressurised into taking on the test case by the consumer movement.

Include me out of that statement. I, along with thousands of others, was quite happy suing the banks and getting paid out.

Els

Obviously, someone hasn't read what is happening in Scotland on Friday with the Govan Law Centre? ;)

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Elsinore I totally agree. I think the SC judges actually tried to hint as strongly as they could just why and where the OFT had screwed up!

Let's hope the OFT doesn't try to jump into the Sheriff Court case now and screw it up for us all again

Then perhaps you can tell us why the banks refused for years to argue their case in court UNTIL the OFT the FSA & they came to an agreement. A fact your ignoring which IMHO is hugely significant

It started to get out of control. Something had to be done.

Include me out of that statement. I, along with thousands of others, was quite happy suing the banks and getting paid out.

Els

As I said above, it started to get out of control. If the claims had just been ticking over they would still be ticking over. Ironically it was broadcasting the success that brought it all to an end. Everyone wanted a piece of the action.

Obviously, someone hasn't read what is happening in Scotland on Friday with the Govan Law Centre? ;)

I have. It emphasises my point. POC are being changed to refer to the CCA. Why was that not recommended before? Who was recommending people to claim relying on the UTCCR?

I first posted on this site because I saw these two statements blazoned across my computer screen:

The law of penalty charges permits the recovery only of losses caused by a contractual breach

Penalties which make profits are unenforceable at Common Law and The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations

I do not recall seeing anything about the Consumer Credit Act.

As I said above, it started to get out of control. If the claims had just been ticking over they would still be ticking over. Ironically it was broadcasting the success that brought it all to an end. Everyone wanted a piece of the action.

QUESTIONS: Out of control for whom? Something had to be done to help whom?

The individual claimants? :confused: Could they not easily keep control of their individual claims? :confused: Didn't everyone just want their OWN money back from these theives?

ANSWER: Only the Banks were helped by the OFT etc. butting in in 2007 - claims put on hold, only one case to fight now etc. etc. :mad:

CONCLUSION: No one was actually on the consumer's side in this. Thank Goodness we have CAG! :)

BD

Let's make no mistake about this. The OFT was pressurised into taking on the test case by the consumer movement.

You are making a mistake about it. The OFT was pressurised into the test case by the banks.

Furthermore, the OFT was pressurised into agreeing with the banks prior to filing what they would or wouldn't debate in the test case.

You say the consumer movement backed the OFT. What choice did we have? Publicly decrying what the body supposibly responsible for upholding our consumer rights was apparently doing to "resolve all the issues in one case" and was thus presented as a great step forward for us all?

The reality is that then, as in now, a lot of us had serious misgivings into this cosy arrangement between the OFT and the banks. A lot of us were worried about being sold down the river. A lot of us heard for whom the bell tolled when the OFT lost on penalties and chose not to pursue it further, instead choosing to concentrate on a much narrower issue of the UTCCR. For a lot of us, we dared hope that maybe just maybe the OFT wasn't out to betray us after all when their UTCCR tactics seemed to go our way in the long haul. A lot of us were dismayed and a tad suspicious when the banks decided to challenge the appeals decision even though they hadn't been told they needn't bother. And then a HUGE amount of us felt their jaws drop to the floor in dismay when the SC decided after all that the banks were right and we were wrong.

Apologies? For WHAT? For still believing that we ARE right to challenge being treated like serfs and cash cows by the multi-billion corporations? For trying to find a way to fight yet again when we are being told and shown time and again that we should know our place and just cower and doff our caps? Sod that for a game of soldiers. :-|

If you don't want to "make a mistake", consider this:

The banks hastily re-wrote their T&Cs a few months before making the OFT start the test case.

The judge presiding in the test case decided to analyse THOSE new terms as yardstick for ALL T&Cs, THEN decided to pick a few "randomly" chosen historical terms to support his decision that the T&Cs were in fact not contractual penalties, starting with a preconceived mind that he wouldn't find them to be. To make it look balanced and unbiased, he picked the small window of ONE bank's T&Cs between well-defined dates and decided that they may be penalties. Oooh, what a bone. :rolleyes:

Oh, I could go on and on about all the ways in which way the consumer was stitched up, bit by bit, piece by piece, but what would be the point? It's been done to death for the last 2 1/2 years and the damage donw by the OFT has set us back consumers years. Excuse me for being a tad bitter about it.

The Establishment may have told us over and over again that we are wrong, but you will not shake the belief that we are in fact right. Those charges, even though the courts now tell us they're not, are penalties, yes, in the contractual sense. They are unfair, yes, also in the contractual sense. I will state again what I have said before, but which you every time conveniently choose to disregard because it doesn't fit in with your theory: the people who drafted the templates letters and POCs were not laypeople who misinterpreted the law and believed what they wanted to believe, as you so patronisingly have been telling us for so long. These are lawyers, solicitors, law people. We also have judges (in the Mercantile Court for example) who have made it clear that their analysis of the law was the same as the one presented on here.

Aequitas, I am going to ask what so many have asked, but you never answer: Why are you here? All you have ever done is try to put people off, pour derision and scorn on any of the legal arguments which didn't fit your beliefs, and now crow about how you were right and we were wrong in a none too subtle manner. Have you actually applied that legal knowledge of yours to try and assist people instead of trying to discourage them? Wouldn't THAT be a better use of your time, energy and legal knowledge? :-?

QUESTIONS: Out of control for whom? Something had to be done to help whom?

The individual claimants? :confused: Could they not easily keep control of their individual claims? :confused: Didn't everyone just want their OWN money back from these theives?

ANSWER: Only the Banks were helped by the OFT etc. butting in in 2007 - claims put on hold, only one case to fight now etc. etc. :mad:

CONCLUSION: No one was actually on the consumer's side in this. Thank Goodness we have CAG! :)

BD

Out of control from the banks' point of view - and the courts.

All this started off with people posting on sites like this saying something like: "Hey! Guess what? If you put a court claim for a refund of bank charges the bank will send you a cheque in next to no time. It's like falling off a log." I am not privy to any bank's decision making process, but I suspect that so long as the claims were manageable the banks made a pragmatic business decision that it was more economic to pay up than defend claims. There may have been an element of not wishing a precedent to be set - I do not know. Whatever the reasons for settling claims without defending them, there came a point when the policy was clearly no longer tenable. The number of claims was so high that continuing to pay out was no longer an option. If they were not going to pay out then thousands of cases would go to trial. That clearly presented the banks with the logistical problem of how to conduct a huge number of defences simultaneously. Now of course the mere fact that you may be sued by more than one person at a time ought not to interfere with each individual case against you. However, the number of cases pending against the banks had reached an unprecedented level; unusual situations may justify unusual measures.

We also need to consider what effect all these cases going to trial would have on the court system. I leave it to someone else to do the calculation of how much court time would be involved in hearing all the cases.

More important though than these logistical problems was the very distinct possibility that one county court judge would interpret the law one way and another in a different way. It could not possibly have been in the interests of justice to have that happen, especially on wide scale; confusion would have reigned. Someone would have appealed and a real test case would have been the inevitable outcome in any event. Guidance from a higher court was essential.

Over all, both the decision to have a test case and the stay were correct and in the public interest.

All this started off with people posting on sites like this saying something like: "Hey! Guess what? If you put a court claim for a refund of bank charges the bank will send you a cheque in next to no time. It's like falling off a log." I am not privy to any bank's decision making process, but I suspect that so long as the claims were manageable the banks made a pragmatic business decision that it was more economic to pay up than defend claims. There may have been an element of not wishing a precedent to be set - I do not know. Whatever the reasons for settling claims without defending them, there came a point when the policy was clearly no longer tenable. The number of claims was so high that continuing to pay out was no longer an option. If they were not going to pay out then thousands of cases would go to trial. That clearly presented the banks with the logistical problem of how to conduct a huge number of defences simultaneously. Now of course the mere fact that you may be sued by more than one person at a time ought not to interfere with each individual case against you. However, the number of cases pending against the banks had reached an unprecedented level; unusual situations may justify unusual measures.

We also need to consider what effect all these cases going to trial would have on the court system. I leave it to someone else to do the calculation of how much court time would be involved in hearing all the cases.

More important though than these logistical problems was the very distinct possibility that one county court judge would interpret the law one way and another in a different way. It could not possibly have been in the interests of justice to have that happen, especially on wide scale; confusion would have reigned. Someone would have appealed and a real test case would have been the inevitable outcome in any event. Guidance from a higher court was essential.

Over all, both the decision to have a test case and the stay were correct and in the public interest.

A very reasonable, albeit somewhat rose-tinted interpretation, but which leaves major gaps in the face of what was really happening:

Economic decision: whilst this could have been true for some of the bigger cases, it flies in the face of evidence of most of the cases. Let's not forget that the banks' attitude was never to settle in the first instance. They near-systematically made the consumer file at court, and the only variation was at which level they settled, some before filing their defence, some at AQ level, and a lot of them as close to court date as they could, by which time they would have incurred costs of their legal team etc... which often would over-ride the cost of the claim itself. Example: My currently still stayed case with Barclays was for £60 + court fee + 8% interest. Barclays sent a barrister + application fee to get it stayed. I could give you hundreds more examples, but you only have to trawl through the forum to find them yourself. So the "economic decision" excuse doesn't fly. At all.

Effect on court system: See above. The court system jamming up was of the banks' making. They systematically made the customer go all the way to filing and beyond, in the full knowledge they would eventually pay up, in what can only be described as an intimidation plan, knowing well that a lot of people are scared of the idea of court and would give up before filing. To this day, I don't think any of us can accurately assess how many people abandoned their claim for fear of the court system. :-(

Guidance from a higher court: Again ignores what was really happening. The Mercantile Court was trying to get precedent setting cases in front of its judges months before the test case was announced, and the banks were settling them faster than any other. It was however very clear that the courts were sick and tired of the banks' use of the court system as an intimidatory tool for their own purpose, and it was only a matter of time before one of them slipped through the net and ended being heard, which would have been catastrophic for the banks, since they would then have had precious little control on the matters to be discussed in court. THAT and that alone is in my view what finally forced the banks into moving beyond the status quo and forcing the OFT into the infamous test case.

Public interest? Public school network interest maybe, I see little evidence that the public at large has benefited in any shape or form. Thousands of cases are still stayed with no indication that the courts are doing anything about it, since most of the cases were filed under the argument of 5.1, the final decision about 6.2 doesn't really apply even though the banks say otherwise, the banks have again the upper hand in every aspect of our lives, propped up by our taxpayers' money, remind me where is the public interest in that again? I sure as hell can't see it. :-(

Edited by Bookworm
typos, apologies, my keyboard is playing up. :-(

The banks needed a get out of jail card & the OFT/FSA road to the rescue The courts were clearly getting fed up with the banks forcing claimants to issue proceedings only to concede defeat at the 11th hour. Some DJ's had started demanding that certain banks prove their determination to defend by revealing how many cases they had fought

The banks risked being considered vexatious litigants

Aequitas.

Words (nearly) fail me! If WE are the public and WE are the ones that the Banks were sh*fting then HOW THE H*LL can it be in the "public" interest for the OFT to have conducted such a cack handed case in "our" interest?

:(

Thank Goodness the Scottish Sheriff Courts seem to riding to the rescue - having given the world the Bank of England, Telephone, Bicycle, Efficient Steam Engine, TV, Tarmac, Pneumatic Tyres, Decent Poetry, Anaesthesia, Sterile Operations, Peniciiin, Billy Connolly and Darius we Scots now give the rest of the UK - JUSTICE AGAINST THE BANKS! :)

Nemo impune laccesset!

BD :D

Aequitas, I am going to ask what so many have asked, but you never answer: Why are you here? All you have ever done is try to put people off, pour derision and scorn on any of the legal arguments which didn't fit your beliefs, and now crow about how you were right and we were wrong in a none too subtle manner. Have you actually applied that legal knowledge of yours to try and assist people instead of trying to discourage them? Wouldn't THAT be a better use of your time, energy and legal knowledge

Aequitas - An answer to the above and my own questions last year would be appreciated.

We can argue about who did what, why and when and probably not agree.

Let me ask some specific questions:

1. Is it not unreasonable to now insist that the OFT got it wholly wrong when:

(a) a lot of Caggers insisted the OFT would win?

(b) a lot of Caggers insisted that the banks decision to appeal was purely to buy time?

© POC were drafted on the basis that the law was as argued by the OFT?

(d) the OFT won at first instance and in the Court of Appeal and judicial opinion was split 5-4?

(e) it is argued that the Supreme Court got it wrong?

(f) Caggers expressed extreme disappointment with the Supreme Court decision?

(g) it is argued that really the Supreme Court decision was unimportant?

(h) there was in fact some misunderstanding of what the UTCCR aspect of the court case was about and what the powers of the OFT are? (See the opening part of Lord Walker's speech and the UTCCR.)

2. Is it not the case that Caggers had convinced themselves that the law was other than it turned out to be (a) because it seemed entirely reasonable to them that it ought to be what they thought it was and (b) the banks seemed to be accepting their legal argument and, accordingly, when the law turned out to be different they were understandably peeved and started to look for someone to blame?

3. Most members of the public have bank accounts and accordingly have not benefited from the Supreme Court decision; in that sense the decision was not in the public interest. But we cannot require decisions to be made on the basis that the public would like them. It has to be in the public interest in the widest sense to ensure so far as possible that decisions made by the county courts are made applying the law correctly. We had the position where a huge number of claims were being made relying on the law being what consumer activists insisted it was, but which was in fact unclear in the sense that there had been no binding judicial decision confirming the position one way or the other. Accordingly, was it not in the public interest that there should be a binding judicial decision that the county courts had to follow since it would not have been in the interests of justice if, when a case eventually went to appeal, it was found that decisions had gone the wrong way, whether in favour of or against consumers?

Els

But, as it has turned out, the law was not as you thought it was. Should the banks now be able to claim back what they paid out on the basis it was paid out on a mistake? :)

But, as it has turned out, the law was not as you thought it was. Should the banks now be able to claim back what they paid out on the basis it was paid out on a mistake? :)
Nope, they always paid out as "gestures of good will" or on the "uneconomical to defend", not once with admission of liability attached, and effectively burned that bridge themselves.

Nope, they always paid out as "gestures of good will" or on the "uneconomical to defend", not once with admission of liability attached, and effectively burned that bridge themselves.

Thanks Bookie, I couldn't have put it better.:-)

Aequitas, I for one won’t attempt to answer any of your hard-to-fathom rhetorical questions unless you answer the one direct question posed by brown1950, myself and others.

Why are you here?

Els

The Banks payments were on the basis of goodwill gestures. On what basis would a putative claim be?

That they made these goodwill gestures by mistake...?

;-)

Things have moved on now, anyway....

Edited by noomill060

(a) a lot of Caggers insisted the OFT would win?

Not "insisted", "hoped".

(b) a lot of Caggers insisted that the banks decision to appeal was purely to buy time?

Did they insist about that? I may have missed it, my understanding was that people believed that they were appealing either a) out of despair (CAGgers who wanted to believe in the justice system) or b) because they had something up their sleeves (CAG who believed in the conspiracy theory).

© POC were drafted on the basis that the law was as argued by the OFT?

No, POCs were drafted (long before the test case was declared may I add) on the basis of a) penalties, b)the UTCCR 5.1 (NOT the 6.2 that the OFT chose to pursue once they lost on penalties)

(d) the OFT won at first instance and in the Court of Appeal and judicial opinion was split 5-4?

They LOST on the penalties aspect in the first place, that alone would be more than enough to convince a lot of people that yes, they got it wholly wrong if they couldn't argue that one efficiently. Of course, you have always believed differently so you think the banks were right to win, but as previously stated, an awful lot of law people believed otherwise.

(e) it is argued that the Supreme Court got it wrong?

No, I think at this point, the conspiracy theorists got the upper hands, (not so much "wrong" as "wilfully gave the banks the victory they so badly needed), but it is generally accepted, at least where I have read so, that the SC may have made the right decision, at least on that very narrow issue of 6.2 of the UTCCR. Where they DID get it wrong is in deciding that the charges were part of the core terms, but if that is accepted, then their decision re 6.2 was correct in that the OFT can not assess fairness of core terms.

(f) Caggers expressed extreme disappointment with the Supreme Court decision?

Well, duh, if you'll forgive the expression. :-?

(g) it is argued that really the Supreme Court decision was unimportant?

No unimportant, irrelevant in a lot of aspects, yes. I still would argue it. The SC have made it very clear that their decision was made on a very narrow point of law, namely 6.2 of the UTCCR. However, there are still options opened to people, the details of which can be found on here, on the GLC site and no doubt others... Whether they will be successful or not, well, that is too early to say, of course.

(h) there was in fact some misunderstanding of what the UTCCR aspect of the court case was about and what the powers of the OFT are? (See the opening part of Lord Walker's speech and the UTCCR.)
There certainly was some misunderstanding, I for one had completely missed that the OFT were arguing 6.2 and not even touching 5.1, and I can't have been the only one who was gobsmacked when the judgment came in because of that... To this day, I can't understand why the OFT chose to go down that particular route.

2. Is it not the case that Caggers had convinced themselves that the law was other than it turned out to be (a) because it seemed entirely reasonable to them that it ought to be what they thought it was
No, it is the case that most CAGgers still think that and what's more are pretty convinced that if the OFT had a) argued 5.1, b) gone on to the ECJ, maybe they would have the chance to see themselves proven right.

and (b) the banks seemed to be accepting their legal argument and, accordingly, when the law turned out to be different they were understandably peeved and started to look for someone to blame?
Nope, the banks NEVER, not ONCE, aceepted our legal arguments. They maintained throughout that their charges were fair and reasonable, let me think, what else, oh yes, a true representation of their costs and that there was a lot of manual intervention on accounts, and always settled as gestures of good will and such...

As for looking for someone to blame, well why not? Consumers are already getting their rights eroded bit by bit by the establishment, at least for now they can still vent their misery, or would you deny them even that?

3. Most members of the public have bank accounts and accordingly have not benefited from the Supreme Court decision; in that sense the decision was not in the public interest. But we cannot require decisions to be made on the basis that the public would like them. It has to be in the public interest in the widest sense to ensure so far as possible that decisions made by the county courts are made applying the law correctly. We had the position where a huge number of claims were being made relying on the law being what consumer activists insisted it was, but which was in fact unclear in the sense that there had been no binding judicial decision confirming the position one way or the other. Accordingly, was it not in the public interest that there should be a binding judicial decision that the county courts had to follow since it would not have been in the interests of justice if, when a case eventually went to appeal, it was found that decisions had gone the wrong way, whether in favour of or against consumers?
Which begs the same self-repeating question: why didn't they go to court and on to appeals? The decision would have been as binding... Could it possibly be that they were running scared because they couldn't control the POCs in quite the same way as they did with the OFT, thanks to the prior agreement they made?

I know I have just spent a long time answering this point by point, but as I am about to hit the "submit reply" button, I have to ask: Were you actually trying to make a point here? If so, could you explain what that was because I think I have missed it. :-?