Bought a car thats been clocked?

AaronM
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a car on saturday from a trader through the autotrader website. He advertised it as HPi clear but when going to view the car he said he has misplaced the HPi check but will email it over to me. All was well I thought so bought the car.

Any way a couple of days passed with him fobbing me off with stories why he hasnt sent the HPi check so I did my own. Everything was clear except the mileage which is 100k more from the previous registered keeper to what the odomter says and his advert.

I called him and he sounded suprised and said he would call the guy he bought it off to get his money back. I said thats not my problem the deal is between me and him and I would return the car for a full refund. He said this is not possible due to having no mopney until he gets the money back from the guy who he bought it off.

Any advice?

I have tried ringing him but he keeps saying he is in meetings and will call me back. I am waiting a call back from trading standards for further advice.

if hes a registered trader then u can take the matter to trading standards, and also call the police aswell as its a criminal offence to clock a car, regardless of age,

but some mileometors only read upto 999999 miles on clock then will reset to 000000

if this is case then your cars has done loads of miles,

what mileage on car, what mileage on hpi check.

also hpi check will only show the last registerd recorded mileage

Registered trader? There is no such thing. He is either a trader or private. there is no registration involved in being a trader.

Return the car to him immediately with a letter demanding a full refund within 7 days. Report the matter to trading standards also. You will probably have to take this crook to court.

Next time, do yoiur own HPI check BEFORE you buy!

if hes a registered trader then u can take the matter to trading standards, and also call the police aswell as its a criminal offence to clock a car, regardless of age,

Clocking itself isn't a criminal offence but selling a car claiming the mileage showing is correct when it isn't, is.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.