Free Laptops for low income families

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3987 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have seen this before somewhere. Looks fantastic as the kids now have so much computer homework.

Does anyone know of anyone actually receiving one?

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Daily Mirror said 5000+ have been given away so far but I don't know of anyone personally.

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

I'm watching ebay for them to start been listed

:)

Mossy

Wouldnt buy a government issue laptop though - it'll probably leave itself on a train after a couple of weeks :rolleyes:

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

My gf's kids have got them, the 2 oldest have them, got them in June thru the pilot scheme for it. Not overly impressed with them to be honest. Both have got faults and are awaiting repair, the software loaded on them can be troublesome (netintelligence), blocking access to sites such as google and others that they try to use to research for homework. They got o2 dongles which have hardly any signal at home, the other choice was orange, same problem tho.

Personally I cant see why they've been issued with them, they're 9 and 10yrs old, so not really at an age that they really need to do homework etc on them. I'm not overly impressed with them to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ungrateful for them getting them, but do think giving them to kids their age is pointless. At the moment their internet usage is limited to occasional searches on google, and playing games, and they really haven't used the other software, open office etc, so cant see the point in offering it to families with kids their age, surely a bit older, upper/high school age would be better.

My gf's kids have got them, the 2 oldest have them, got them in June thru the pilot scheme for it. Not overly impressed with them to be honest. Both have got faults and are awaiting repair, the software loaded on them can be troublesome (netintelligence), blocking access to sites such as google and others that they try to use to research for homework. They got o2 dongles which have hardly any signal at home, the other choice was orange, same problem tho.

Personally I cant see why they've been issued with them, they're 9 and 10yrs old, so not really at an age that they really need to do homework etc on them. I'm not overly impressed with them to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ungrateful for them getting them, but do think giving them to kids their age is pointless. At the moment their internet usage is limited to occasional searches on google, and playing games, and they really haven't used the other software, open office etc, so cant see the point in offering it to families with kids their age, surely a bit older, upper/high school age would be better.

I got one of the laptops for my daughter and she loves it. She uses laptops at school so it is easier for her to use a laptop than my slow and noisy desktop pc.

I had problems with Netintelligence too. It blocked Google and Wikipedia which is annoying when my daughter wanted some information for a school project. I ended up uninstalling it off the laptop. Windows 7 has safe internet guards built in anyway. I can keep an eye on my daughter when she is on the laptop as i wont let her take it out of the front room and she knows i can check which websites she has been on.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

I called earlier and apparently I could qualify :D

They are sending me out an application form. I will let you know how I get on.

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I called earlier and apparently I could qualify :D

They are sending me out an application form. I will let you know how I get on.

Awesome! :D

Very good idea. Unfortunately with it only being for England I dont qualify either.

I bought my daughter her own laptop for her Christmas present. She is 8 and i would definately recommend any child to have one. She uses them in school already (I remember when it was the last year in high school, and only if you were with the 'it' gang). She has partial dyslexia so i have no problems with her using it. It has really helped her.

So how do you uninstall netintelligence? When we tried it asked for a password!

I opened Control Panel (in the start menu), go into Programs and Features, click on the Netintelligence program and Uninstall. It does ask for a password which you can get by opening the Netintelligence program, logging in and i think there was a answer on how to uninstall and where you would find the password.

The forms say only 1 child per household, so how come you got 2, only reason I ask is I have 2 children that could benefit from it

I contacted child benefit for a letter of confirmation, and was told it can take 6 weeks to send a letter out as they are inundated with requests for these now due to this scheme :rolleyes:

F&Q's... Read here

I contacted child benefit for a letter of confirmation, and was told it can take 6 weeks to send a letter out as they are inundated with requests for these now due to this scheme :rolleyes:

Having the same trouble myself , requested mine Jan 18th , apparently DWP have been inundated with requests for letters confirming that people are in receipt of CB also spoke to someone at Becta as we were worried there would be a limited amount to go round , were told not to worry as only 30,000 of the 200,000 available grants had so far been given out.

Call them again and say you need it urgently for council tax or for the Inland Revenue or something. Might get it a bit quicker ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

I received my letter from CB last week, and I sent it off with the application form. I then got a letter a couple of days later to say they were looking into it.

Today I received a credit card with a silly amount of money on it to go and buy a new laptop for my daughter!!

I called my niece who works at comet, and she said they do loads there. You get a laptop, bag, a dongle with a year of credit, which can be used later with top ups, and after care.

So that is it...dead easy. :D We are going to get ours on Sunday, as I would like my daughter to pick it up. It really will help her, as she does so much school work on the computer now. I remember when they used to use books :rolleyes:

I must admit, I am shocked at how they can do this, it must be costing a fortune.

F&Q's... Read here

We got it. It is lovely, I can't believe how easy that was. All i did was ring up, filled in an easy form, sent my child benefit letter, and they sent me a credit card with a letter to take in. I went to Comet, handed it over and I got a crackin laptop, 12 month internet dongle. T mobile, lap top bag and a mouse!!

If you think you are eligible, do it. What have you got to lose? :)

F&Q's... Read here

Got my child benefit and tax credit letter through today so sending mine of finally. Daughter has started to nag me a little because they know what I am like with forms.

Should I send off both forms or just child benefit entitlement one xx

We got it. It is lovely, I can't believe how easy that was. All i did was ring up, filled in an easy form, sent my child benefit letter, and they sent me a credit card with a letter to take in. I went to Comet, handed it over and I got a crackin laptop, 12 month internet dongle. T mobile, lap top bag and a mouse!!

If you think you are eligible, do it. What have you got to lose? :)

I got mine from Comet with a Bag, mouse, dongle and everything. I love it. The laptop is so much faster then my old pc and my daughter loves it too.