• Tweets

• Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Moorcroft door visit BT debt

jj69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Need some careful guidance on how to approach a doorstep visit from supposed Moorcroft agent.

BT bill for £243 .

Found a Moorcroft card through the door with his details on basically call Dave on his mobile and all Moorcroft phone numbers scribbled out in pen.

Called this guy who said I am an agent working on behalf of Moorcroft,BT and the courts etc etc..to come to some payment arrangement..he was wanting £40 month via debit card...Moorcroft want £50, BT want full payment and even the courts are asking for £18pm ( strange that as it hasnt even reached court) !! yeh right I said I don't know who you are..you have until tomorrow to contact myself and arrange some sort of payment he said.

Spoke to the muppets at Moorcroft straight after they said yeh its with our home visit dept and you can pay £170 today to write off debt or contact only with the agent who visited...

So I know this guy has no legal right to visit so can I tell him to bog off and visit no more or if he tries again hand him a no doorstep visit letter.

Is he not breaking the law in telling me what the courts are supposed to have recommended..and can I threaten him with the police if he attempts to visit again...

Hand him the letter if he calls again and tell him he has 30 seconds to get off your property or you will call the police and have him removed as he is trespassing.

Cheers Pinky...I knew he was BS me...just needed to be prepared...

I have his mobile so fancy telling him now to dont bother coming back..

Hi jj69, I too once had visit from moorcroft agent , he was polite and never bothered to visit again once he realised that he would not get a penny from me ( they are paid commision only). All of these DCAs seem to lose interest if no money is being collected by themselves, therefore I only pay the origonal creditors where they still own the debt not DCAs, and at a rate that I can afford.

sleepingdog

I love to play with Moorcroft. I long for the day they send one of their doorstep collectors to visit me. I have a video camera all set up and waiting. :D

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

Hi jj69 ,thought your name rung a bell ,how are your mortgage payments going, have you changed product yet ? . We both seem to be going in the same direction ( Halifax mortgage problems as well as moorcroft visit) . Bet you haven't been through as many DCAs as me yet lol.

sleepingdog

lol..hi sleepingdog...not sure on the DCA front mate..been through the mill with the usual bunch Apex,Moorcroft,1st credit etc..

Mortage wise I got my SO back in June,since Jan 2009 I have made all payments on time and got an interest only back in Dec so now paying 400 a month,Halifax added arrears back into mortgage so now they are at zero also getting overtime with work so now I actually have money left over and am paying some DCA's little by little,bad news is my gas/electric bills went throught the roof but I can afford to pay these..everything is prioritised now..I actually had a over payments on the mortgage at the end of Dec..

To be honest Halifax have been ok I asked for interest only and they did it the next month...not approached anybody about a remortgage yet but think I am in a good position now..

Some DCA's have no CCA agreements so in limbo with these guys...all I know is as of a year ago I was losing my house now in control and a lot happier...

Hi jj69, I too once had visit from moorcroft agent , he was polite and never bothered to visit again once he realised that he would not get a penny from me ( they are paid commision only). All of these DCAs seem to lose interest if no money is being collected by themselves, therefore I only pay the origonal creditors where they still own the debt not DCAs, and at a rate that I can afford.

sleepingdog

Hi sleeping dog I was a bit taken aback..the guy seemed decent enough on the mobile but basically he was trying to get me to pay as much as possible hence all the spiel about £40month , courts recommend £18wk,etc etc..

Just found a job advert in our local paper for debt collectors and the website is for Moorcroft which is a coincidence,it basically tells the agents what they need to do how it is all commison based,you dont have rights as a baliff oh and how you have to try and establish a resonable payment plan...thanks Moorcroft you have just armed me with enough knowledge to get shot of this guy..

sleepingdog

This guy seems persistent but he is calling me on mobile today..I was going to offer £10 per month to try and clear this but by cash only with a receipt..this guy wants a debit card payment of £10 per week..when you told the agent to bog off did he visit again ??

This guy seems persistent but he is calling me on mobile today..I was going to offer £10 per month to try and clear this but by cash only with a receipt..this guy wants a debit card payment of £10 per week..when you told the agent to bog off did he visit again ??

Under no circumstances, give your debit card details to any doorstep collector or any DCA for that matter.

These agents work on a commission only basis the more you engage with them, the more they chase. Tell him to b*gger orf - he won't be back.

David

Under no circumstances, give your debit card details to any doorstep collector or any DCA for that matter.

These agents work on a commission only basis the more you engage with them, the more they chase. Tell him to b*gger orf - he won't be back.

David

Thanks for that..I told him first time no Debit card details..just got my finances under control without handing them control of my card..

Just spoke to BT they no longer have the account , the Bal is £50 less than what Moorcroft state.

This collecter then is full of it...!!...as he told me BT would not except anything but full payment when they have clearly just told me that the account bal is 0 and I need to speak to Moorcroft..

The numpty at Moorcroft told me he would offer F&F at 20% then down to 30% in a min it seems to me they are clutching at straws,though im not sure how enforcable BT bills are !

put his mobile up we can all ring him!!:D

I actually had a pang of concisence then and thought that's a bit unfair on the guy..then I thought to hell with it since when has Moorcroft been fair to me..will go dig it out :D

I would put his moblie up in every dodgy call box & public lavatory, but that is just me and I am in no way saying that is what you should do or condone such an action and i am sure the site and modorators would also not suport or condone such an action but it is an evil thought all the same.

Edited by dcakiller
typo

I would put his moblie up in every dodgy call box & public lavatory, but that is just me and I am in no way saying that is what you should do or condone such an action and i am sure the site and modorators would also not suport or condone such an action but it is an evil thought all the same.

lol :D..what a quality idea...stick his number in the gents lavs around Kings Cross..he could have his fair share of punters then..not sure what offers he would get or accept..

:D Evil man! I know I would though! ;):D

Well rang BT then Moorcroft and suprise the amount Moorcroft want ,has a nice little charge of about £50 on top.

Told them I was raising a complaint on the basis they had not provided me with a notice from BT assigning debt to them and also a breakdown of the charges as requested in Oct..

Also complained about the agent telling me loads of porkies..

Called agent back and told him not paying a penny until Moorcroft sort out my requests..fair enough mate he said I shall hand the file back !!! Is that it not even going to pester me for anymore payment :p

Told me to call him back if I managed to get it sorted with Moorcroft and called me mate ( we are mates now so thats a good start :))..lol

First time I have tackled an agent/collector even though I am used to the DCA's now this did come as a surprise...and tbh you guys really helped..I just imagined he was like the Avon lady as someone pointed out in a prev post and has no powers at all...cheers all..

Personally I wouldn't pay them a penny. Any DCA which behaves like that should not get anything at all, IMO, even if you do feel that you morally owe the money. And the fact that BT are showing a zero blance means that they have written it off against tax anyway.

Personally I wouldn't pay them a penny. Any DCA which behaves like that should not get anything at all, IMO, even if you do feel that you morally owe the money. And the fact that BT are showing a zero blance means that they have written it off against tax anyway.

Which explains why Moorcrap offered me F&F at £192 followed a few mins later by £170..of course I had to pay that day by debit card...tempting but no !!!

They must have paid £20 for this debt....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks