Unpaid Council Tax, Living With Student

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I moved into a flat with a student (I work full time), who has no grip on reality, last August. As I understood, I should have been paying council tax with a single person’s discount, as she would be exempt.

A few weeks after we moved in, someone came to the door about council tax whilst I was out, she spoke to them and ended up with a council tax bill in her name, with no mention of me living there at all.

After asking her to sort out the mistake, which she didn’t, I contacted the council on her behalf in September, and they sent her a letter telling her how to sort her exemption out. We also received a joint bill, and the council told me I’d receive a revised bill when she’d sent them her certificate (this was end of September/beginning of October).

I was waiting for this bill, and it completely slipped my mind. I had an ‘OH ****’ panic about it a few weeks ago, and asked if she’d heard anything from them. She told me she hadn’t heard anything since she sent off her exemption.

Last week, I came home from work to find separate letters addressed to both of us, summoning us to court next month for non-payment. She never sent her exemption form, and has been hiding all letters and reminders from them. I have no idea why she’s been doing this, as she wouldn’t have been liable anyway.

As it stands we have a £580 bill, a court summons and no exemption or discount.

Where on earth do I go from here? Is she liable for half of this, or can she still backdate an exemption to August? If she’s is exempt from this, will I still be able to get a 25% discount? And can I offer to pay it over 3/4 months (no chance I can afford it in one go)?

Thanks for any advice!

As a full time student she will have no Council Tax laibility once she presents the certificate to the council and you will remain liable for a 75% charge.

Any discount would be backdated to either the start of the account or the date she became a student, which ever is most recent.

• 4 months later...
As a full time student she will have no Council Tax laibility once she presents the certificate to the council and you will remain liable for a 75% charge.

Any discount would be backdated to either the start of the account or the date she became a student, which ever is most recent.

Hi Please can you tell me where I can find this information in law? I mean the issue of the discount being backdated "either to the start of the account or the date she became a student, whichever is most recent".

I have a student exemption issue!

Many thanks.

JQ

What problem are you having ?

There is nothing specific in legislation regarding backdating discounts/exemptions, it is only implied that local authoritys have to be satisfied that they are awarding any reductions correctly for the period of time requested - with a correctly issued certificate and you meet the relevant criteria then they have no option but to award it.

You can appeal to a valuation tribunal if the council refuse to grant any discount or exemption that you believe you are entitled to.

Hello :-)

I had to move out of my house and into my guest house when the woman managing it moved out, that was March 2006. I registered for the Council Tax there, as well as the business rates that I was already registered for (even though I have no "seperate self contained accommodation" I have to pay both).

My daughter stayed on in the house alone, she was a full time student. She rang the council to tell them that she was the only one living there, but they did not tell her about getting student exemption certs. After much time, stress bailiffs etc etc, I furnished the certs. They would not accept them. Firstly, I checked everywhere I could to find to see whether there was a legal backdating limit, I could not find one. Then they said I had not mentioned I was not living there and that I remain responsible for the CT. They will not accept the student certs.

I have a copy of my file because I am in court for culpable neglect (without a proper means test) for this period as well as the year prior which was the subject of CT Ben dispute. Apart from a chunk of missing information they have deleted, there is reference to my telephone calls stating that I was not living there and their subsequent checks with my current local council confirming that I have registered and paid the CT at my present address, the guest house!

I have appealed to the valuation tribunal, but also, I have had tenants in after my daughter, (they did a bunk owing rent) and they will not accept that I am not liable for that time either, even though I notified them that there were tenants and I know those tenants had been in to ask them about H/CTB! They say I have to wait for the tribunal!?

I have to say I have never dealt with a more obstructive, dishonest council in my life!

JQ