• Tweets

• a chargeback via a paypal account used in an ebay sale doesn't usually result in funds being sucked from your bank account,  just that you attain a paypal negative balance. as you saying the money was taken by paypal from your bank account without you authorising this? or is it directly the buyers name that is shown? regarding the chargeback but either way you bank account HAS been debited? dx  
    • what solicitor is the PAPLOC from? then just search xxxx snotty letter dx  
    • moved to the debt self help forum. plenty of like threads here to read along with the ones you've done so far..good work. last thing you ever want to do is look at any kind of IVO/BK or anything alike concerning consumer debt, never do that, turns unsecured debts into secured ones in many instances. your best bet for now is p'haps looks at  Options for dealing with your debts: Breathing Space (Debt Respite Scheme) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) sadly you have to go thru one of the free debt charities to invoke that but DON'T be tempted to also open up a DMP with them, just get the Breathing Space done. get that in place that gives you at leasy 60 days buffer you've also goto to realise you'll probably get a default once breathing space is in place, bit if not it might pay you to withhold payments even after BS then p'haps re start payments once a DN for each debt is issued and registered. at least that way, whatever happens in 6yrs the debt will drop off dx  
    • Hello, I am a private seller and recently sold a pair of trainers on eBay.  Everything seemed fine until just after the eBay 30 day mbg had expired.  The buyer contacted me with photos showing me that both shoes had ripped.  He wanted his money back, and after refusing to refund him, he then left me retaliatory and defamatory feedback on my profile to the effect that I had sold him fake trainers (this was removed by eBay).  He then initiated a chargeback via Paypal.  Invariably, the outcome was in his favour, and I have now been charged for the cost of the trainers.  I would have also been stung for the chargeback fee, but eBay refunded this.  Incidentally, I do have the email receipt of the trainers from when I bought them from a well-established and bona fide online retailer.  The susbequent conversation with eBay followed its predictable course, i.e. the chargeback is out of their hands etc. I have been in contact with citizens advice, and my bank.  Citizens advice told me that as a private seller I'm responsible for the "Title and description" of the goods, but not the performance, or the fitness for purpose.  To me it is clear; if you receive something that's not as described, you don't then use the goods, and more than 30 days later claim 'not as described'.  In my mind, this makes the claim fraudulent.  He's used the 'they're fake' card to give credence to a 'not as described' claim here, obviously, without any evidence.  My understanding is that the chargeback is unlawful, because the trainers were shipped as described.  However, I read something on an eBay forum regarding sellers having no statutory rights, i.e. no right to appeal against a chargeback decision, or to complain to the financial ombudsman.  Does this mean that if my bank disputes the charge on my behalf, it will be to no avail, even if it's recognisably a fraudulent chargeback?  I have reported it via the Action fraud website. Any advice, anyone?  Would be most grateful!
    • Thank you, I have drafted my letters and started to complete the reply form, printed from this site and not using the one they provided.    2 questions, on the forum link it says to tick box D & I, the reason for box D will be given on my thread, what would my answer be to "I dispute the debt"?  Do I send anything for the Vodafone debt they have included?  I've only done 118 loan s. 77 & capital one credit cards so. 78    Thank you  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Debs v Natwest ***WON***

Guest DP37
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there -

it's taken an eon to get to the writing to NatWest point with details of my charges because they very much could not have been less interested in my original letter (recorded delivery, sent 22/6, signed for 27/6), and it took a phone call to get them moving - tip, don't be polite and give them 40 days to come back to you, send yr letter recorded delivery and phone them pretty soon afterwards.

Actually the phone calls have been painless with very helpful ladies at the end of the line. After my first call I had a standard letter saying they'd be back to me in 14 days or some such so I phoned again to say that actually wasn't good enough as I had written over 40 days previously. Very helpful lady. I also asked for a phone call as well as a letter detailing charges.

The next day ( 11/8 ) I got a phone call saying they had all my statements to hand and would send them that day. I asked her to send to me at another address as I was house and dog sitting elsewhere for a week, and they duly plopped in the mat with a thud in a tatty brown envelope (what's that about :? - no money for proper stationery?!) yesterday ( 14/8 ).

So today's 4 hour task has been working it all out on the great spreadsheet downloaded from here - many thanks :) and reading through the step by step guide and the forums here to make sure I'm not cocking it up!!

I think I've got it right, and I have altered the letter just one bit to say 'if' they have put any marks against my credit they need to remove them etc etc as I want to get this off right now and sad to say I don't have the spare pennies to get credit reports at this moment in time, literally below breadline due to banks, being entreprenurial with big personal risk and cutting everything really very very fine indeed. Flying by seat of pants is one phrase that may be a bit polite for how I feel right now!

BUT rather than a long windy epistle on debt, I wanted to keep a bit of a diary here in case it helps (cos the other threads have helped me a lot, please do do lots of reading before you start the process, it makes you feel a lot more confident in what you're doing, and that many folk are doing the same).

ALSO - :?: Natwest can't yank my overdraft facility once I've been refunded can they :shock: as it is utterly VITAL right now and although I am claiming ££2,243.57 this will not clear the overdraft and we really really need that overdraft over the next couple of months.

Has anyone had any experience or know of any legal precedent that would allow them to do that?

Good luck to all of you in your claims - it's time the little guys stood up and made a noise and stopped being so darn British about everything :razz:

My brother put me onto this and he, lucky chap, got £2k from HSBC as a first offer on £2347 in just 2 weeks with a letter and a phone call. I will look carefully at the next bank I choose!!

Thanks for the advice and inspiration so far, and the support to come when it all gets a bit scary hairy :shock:

x Debs

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PS - am off to read other bank threads to see which might be a good one to join. If anyone has any good advice on good (?!) banks, please do let me know. I have heard that some of the online banks are good. Suggestions appreciated as will be moving both personal and business as soon as good alternative is found :) Debs

hmmmmmmmm re the OD thing - perhaps time to see if another bank will take me in meantime so I can pay the cheque in somewhere else?! Now, where did I put that post office savings book?!

thanks for the luck, feel like I need it so it's really appreciated :) Debs

Natwest have written back very promptly (sent letter 15th Aug recorded delivery, my reply is dated 17th August) saying I am wrong but they're prepared to foofer £438 as a gesture of goodwill in full and final settlement and all future charges must stand.:eek:

My claim is for £2,243.57.

Anyway, I am going to re-read a number of the other posts here later and make a decision. It is utterly derisory, however I am concerened that I won't actually be able to afford to take this the whole way - I don't have the money to do court charges etc to get them to the end of this process! BUT will take a good read and think hard about it before leaping into their poisonous offer!

Hope all is going well for everyone else :) Debs

Guest NATTIE

You will win and not even appear in court, keep going if you feel you can. Any court costs would be part of the final settlement on your claim

ps - letter just received from Capital One (letter sent re £80 charges on husband's card) that says from now on their late payment / card misuse charges have been reduced to £12, which is I think the 'maximum' ruling? It's a 'step' I guess? x Debs

Hi Deb, have read through your thread and I will be phoning the Natwest today to chase up my statements instead of waiting the full 40 days, waiting is hard isn't it?

I would suggest you get another account soon and get your monies paid into it, at least that way you have more to live on. leave the other one whilst the case is sorted, you can always put some into it each month once this is all sorted to help pay off your overdraft, just an idea, I really get fed up of people not being able to afford to live cos of debt, myself included.

I can't wait to be debt free

Lindy xx

A big

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif

to this site and I will be donating when I get my monies back, Lindy

Capital One D.P.A. (S.A.R.) sent 22/07/2006. statements recieved,

M.B.N.A. D.P.A. (S.A.R.) sent 31/07/2006. PAR sent 06/09/06......14/09/2006 Goodwill payment of £150 thanks but I still want the rest.....LBA sent on 29/09/06....cheque received for the rest...I WON.....

NatWest D.P.A. sent 16/08/2006

Hi Lindy - thanks for the encouragement :)

The thing that irritates me is that quite a few years ago I ended up in real trouble mainly because of the bank (Lloyds) and a client that changed strategy (big pension fund) so my one person consultancy biz took a real hit and my Mother was diagnosed with cancer and I was the one looking after her - a 5 hour train journey / drive. Rather than restructure the loan or indeed even talk to me about the situ as I rebuilt my biz and looked after my Mother the bank threatened me, and pushed me to such an extent that I went bankrupt (voluntarily).

It's taken me the past few years to get past that, clear(ish) my record, and restart having taken 18 months out to nurse Mother, sadly she did not make it through. In that time I married a wonderful man who has also put all his finances and credit on the line to support first me and Mum and then my entrepreneurial streak.

Now as an entrepreneur with a biz on the cusp of funding and a lot of success built with fab colleague we're in a similar boat. We have ploughed everything we can into the biz which has cost us dear in loan / OD charges etc. And once again, the visionless banking world is trying as hard as it can to snuff out innovation, even moderate risk, and provide the best dis-service they can to anyone who is not completely risk free! Of course I can understand that the risk to their £4bn profit could be huge :?

We're actually moving business bank, but just for a giggle try calling Natwest as an entrepreneur either personally or business and seeing what they say?! hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Add to that the shower that is Business Link and all the other so called support for entrepreneurs in Britain and I get to wondering if it's pure masochism rather than drive and ambition that keeps me striving to build something good in this progressively tricky but much loved country of ours?! Am I bonkers?! The government spouts and waxes lyrical about supporting small business / British entrepreneurs / women / innovation ... PAH I say, show me one place it's been put into practice?!

I've been canvassing for bank stories of late. I've heard great things about First Direct and their customer service (mind you, Natwest have very nice folk at the end of the phone!) and quite a few folk have had nice things to say about Egg and HSBC. Barclays have been fairly universally slammed as 'not giving a *&%$' and Lloyds - well, I simply would never entertain even using one of their cashpoints since they pretty much pushed me into bankruptcy those years ago. Bank of Scotland / Halifax have a pretty good rep so far. I'd love to hear any thoughts you guys have. Personally though, I think it's back to the post office for me for the time being! Very uncomplicated.

I'm not a whingeing ninny, and I do think my debt / risk is my own issue and a choice I make, BUT it irritates me almost to explosion point that even when we try we get no leeway, as someone taking a risk without security you don't 'fit' into anyone's form or questionnnaire. If you 'trip' or 'make a mistake' like we all have, you just get walloped, not helped! Sure, some folk never learn, but hell, since when did trying become such a sin?!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr If there was a little less focus on pure profit (and I am in biz to make money, not some utopian dreamer!) and what we can score off each other and a little more focus on what we can all do together and make money at the same time (yes I do watch Star Trek!) we'd all move forward a lot bloody faster! Honestly, and we're supposed to be the most intelligent life on earth ... :p

Hey ho, another Debs Rant!

Thanks for listening.

Off to bank bash :p

x Debs

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still mindful of any little tricks Natwest may play if there is any money in my account (ie not over my overdraft limit!) so I'm just letting some money that is going through my bank currently (a rare occurence) clear and will get it out (have decided on the Post Office for the time being), and will then procede as per all the advice given here. Many thanks guys - hope it's all going well for you all. x Debs

• 1 month later...

Hi - it's been an age and time has slipped on by. However I have taken up the reins again and have reopened the quest against natwest. I have replied that I do not accept their offer and I ahve updated the claim to include the past 2 months of charges. Will then progress to the 2nd stage when they reply in the same vein again.

I've cleared everything out of natwest now, and am just keeping myself just under the overdraft limit. I got charged £76 :o one day last week as I had £57 bill and a £5 bill (Direct debits) going out and I had transferred the money overnight from another Natwest account to cover them but because it was not 'cleared' the day before I have been charged full whack and both D/D's refused! I called to ask them to reverse it but they have said no, and offered only half. I turned it down and have added all to the letter I sent in today!!

It made me even more determined.

x Deborah

Well, I feel like I am really part of the gang now as I've had a letter from the Notorious Mr Higley!!

He stands by the original offer of £438 as full and final settlement - my total claim is £2447.15!

He is very polite of course, and is saying they do not accept the OFT's statement of 5th APril this year 'in relation to the setting of credit card fees', and how concerened they are that the OFT has publicly called into question the setting of charges applied to other products, including current accounts, etc etc. He is disappointed that I am contemplating legal action against the bank and hopes I will reconsider however reminds me of the registered office address in case I do decide to proceed!

He the acknowledges that this is probably not the answer I wanted to receive but thanks me for taking the time and trouble to get in touch! bless ?!

Will now read through the advice on here for the next step, and procede.

x Deborah

• 2 months later...

Hi there - I send my follow on letter after hearing from Mr Highley, and have been resolutely ignored this time - nice!

I now need to take step 3 - court, however having re-read AQs again! (I am a bit nervous) I am concerened about the actual charges I am claiming for as I have included pretty much all charges, and whilst these are normal overdraft charges as well they are arguably because of the original over charges that I have ended up so far overdrawn and unable to get back to zero - but how arguable is that?! :confused:

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, and I am going to go over the charges again now before I take the next step - does it weaken my case if I change the amount? or does it not matter?

thanks for reading / your thoughts xx Deborah :)

I think you can include all charges except Advantage Gold fees.

I did on my claim

Son v Halifax settled in full £292

Another son v Halifax settled in full £30

Bigmama59 v NatWest settled in full £4739.69:)

Son v Halifax 2nd claim settled in full £130

Bigmama v Halifax settled in full £1125

If you feel as though you need to change your schedule in any way whatsoever now is the time to do so. You can amend your schedule right up to the point of submitting it through the courts.

I can see you're a little aprehensive about what you're claiming, but there really is no need, you are claiming back the charges because they are deemed unlawful.

The charges you can claim will be, as bigmama has stated, everything apart from the advantage gold fees, if you are usure about what you're claiming then post the details on here and someone can check it over for you.

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Hi, Debs

Big Mama's right. You can include everything they have charged you for except contracted fees - Advantage Gold and, if they did such a thing, actual arrangement fees where you had personally and individually negotiated, say, a loan or an overdraft.

So, every charge, for referral, 'account management', refusal or anything - it all goes into the pot!

You may find join your statement an amount of £40, if you have Advantage Gold, or £28 if you have an ordinary account. That's an account management charge and it's levied if you go into unauthorised overdraft. The £28 is reclaimable. If you have a series of £40, each month, then it will include the £12/mo Advantage Gold fee. You can reclaim £28 of each one.

It doesn't sound like you made much in the way of mistakes, anyway, does it?

Westy

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Hi Debs....

Going through stages with natwest too....

I have had some small refunds on my natwest account since the claim went in... so in effect my MCOL POC figure is now wrong...

*My point of view is at the time I submitted MCOL I believed these figures to be truthful

*It is up to Natwest to dispute and/or defend these figures

*I only claimed 8% interest not contractual (which would of been more)

Let them argue the pennies and give us our pounds

Dont worry, be happy, and good luck (not that you need it)

Innocent :D

:D CLICK MY SCALES IF I HAVE BEEN USEFUL :D

BARCLAYCARD WON £307

CAPITAL ONE WON £2.1k

NATWEST WON £3.4k

LLOYDS TSB CURRENT

Start 26/4 LBA 7/6 conLBA 22/1 N1 12/3 AQ 3/5/07ONHOLD

MORE THAN/ LLOYDS MCARD

Start 2/11 CONTL LBA 15/1/07 NOW RE-RESEARCHING

MONUMENT VISA

Start 1/11 CONTL LBA 15/1/07 NOW RE-RESEARCHING

NATWEST BUSINESS

RESEARCHING

Hi, Innocent

I think you should amend your claim to reflect the changes, depending on how far down the road you are.

Anyone else?

Westy

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Thanks SO much guys! I will take another look at it as I think I have included the £40 rather than £28! I know it sounds really blonde (I am, born so!) but I had no idea I was actually being charged £12 pcm for the 'priviledge' of advantage gold. I am sure it is written and agreed somewhere but it had passed me by completely - I am not the best detail checker but this must be well hidden - certainly it was not charged at the beginning when I opened the account?! grrrrr.

You guys are FAB, thanks so much - will relook and if confused still will post before going to the next stage.

Big grateful kisses all round xx Debs :)

Hey - thanks everyone for your feedback. I have included the Advantage Gold charges in my claim, so will amend for this next stage. I am mortified to say that they are there, clear as day, spelled out on the monthly charges sheet that comes through and I had not really clocked them!! :rolleyes: Furious with myself! I am in the bank today so will cancel it!! I am taking in a letter, 2 copies, and will get them to stamp and sign my copy that they've received their copy - slippery *****'s!

Thanks for all the encouragement and assistance, I will be doing the next stage by the end of the week so if any more questions arise I'll pop them on here. You're all wonderful, many thanks.

x Deborah :)

Did you know that if you stop being an Advantage Gold customer your overdraft interest rate increases!! The lady in the bank was lovely actually, as they all are in the front of house! We worked out that the increase in interest would be less than the £12 per month. It goes up from 15.9% to 18.9%.

x Debs

So still a saving in the end.

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D