• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3454 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A great many CAG members use the popular browser, FireFox (hereafter FF).

As some of those users may be aware, part of FF's strength is its support of Plugins. Plugins are small scripts that can be added to FF to enhance performance, change behaviour, or add features.

The main site for FF Plugins can be found HERE, but with thousands of Plugins available, it can sometimes be confusing to know which plugins to get, or which to stay away from.

Accordingly, I thought it might be handy to have a single thread for these, where people can post details of the Plugins they personally use and find helpful so that other surfers who either aren't as familiar with the capabilities of FF, or are lacking those plugins, can benefit.

To start the ball rolling, I'll happily list a few of the Plugins I personally use on a regular basis and find extremely handy:

Update Notifier - This plugin monitors every other plugin you've installed, and tells you if there has been an update to one. If there is, Update Notifier can install the update for you.

Adblock Plus - Extremely handy for getting rid of those irritating adverts that appear on a lot of sites, including CAG. Just right-click the ad, click AdBlock and they don't appear again. If you want them back, open AdBlock and simply unblock them.

Dictionary Search - I find this a very handy little plugin. Once installed, highlight any word anywhere on the internet (as though you were going to copy the text), and press the right-mouse. Hit 'Dictionary Search' and a second tab will open with the definition.

Download Statusbar - When FF downloads, this replaces the popup box with a neat little progress bar in the bottom left. It also has a host of extra features that become available.

New Tab Homepage - By default, a new tab in FF is blank, ready to go where you like. I personally have Google as my homepage, so want it ready when I open a new page. New Tab Homepage does just that; any newly opened tab will default to your homepage.

IE Tab - There are a few websites, most of the Micro$oft's, that refuse to recognise any browser other than Internet Explorer. This adds a timple tab for FireFox that allows you to view any webpage you like in IE mode. FF will perfectly replicate IE and the site will respond to FF as though it is genuinely IE.

NoScript - May be a little complicated for some, but allows you to selectively block any scripts you like on a website. You can permanently or temporarily allow certain scripts to sites you frequently visit and trust.

All actions can be undone, and this stops drive-by-downlaods, malware and spyware scripts in their tracks.

PDF Download - Not only handles all PDF file format downloads, but lets you grab a copy or open the PDF within a FF tab. In addition, this plugin lets you turn any webpage into a PDF file in seconds.

Finally, it is useful to know that nearly every plugin has its own set of options and settings. In almost all cases, these are accessed by going to Tools, selecting the Add Ons option, then highlighting the relevant plugin on the list. You should have an Options button on the left, whilst buttons of the right allow you to Disable or Uninstall the plugin.

Feel free to add your own.

Edited by Tezcatlipoca
  • Haha 2

Another one which I don't run on my own PC, but run on the client PCs in my network is:

Public Fox - Allows you to lock off the Add-Ons and Options sections of FF with a simple password. I run this on all my client machines at work, but parents could equally apply it to junior's FireFox to ensure safer surfing.

This will be a handy reference for the growing numbers of people using FF.

I'll make it a sticky, so that it doesn't disappear off the bottom of the page.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

One of my favs is Fast Dial

I rarely use my home page so instead I have the home pages of the sites I use the most as the first page to open on firefox then all i have to do is click the page to that site and hay ho its loaded.

It saves having to type the address or search bookmarks.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5721

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Is there a good spell check one. I had it on my old system, but no idea where from. Always handy, not that I'm saying I need it....:p

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

:eek: Well I never knew that!

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Two more which will probably only be of interest/use to other web designers, but I have personally found them far and away the best plugins when building sites, or taking apart other sites (including CAG) to see how they've been programmed:

HTML Tidy - Massively expands the 'View Source Code' option by validating the current page, suggesting changes, and offering to rebuild the entire code in a compliant format for you.

Web Developer - Far too many options and functions to list, but needless to say it adds an extra toolbar to FireFox that has - literally - everything a web developer needs to check site builds.

These two work especially well in conjunction with each other.

• 7 months later...

Tezcatlipoca - that Web Developer plugin is invaluable. Been using that alongside Firebug for longer than I can remember and are the only two web developer plugins I use.

One very handy plugin I use is "Flashblock"

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

This prevents all Flash video/anim files from loading but lets you click them if you want to see them. Some of these Flash files are huge and can make page loading very slow. Not any more, plus this helps save bandwidth by not downloading meaningless junk.

ADBLOCK PLUS ELEMENT HIDING HELPER

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4364/

Used alongside AdBlock Plus for selectively hiding junk on sites. I've used this successfully on many sites including Facebook, IMDb, Hotmail and many more to remove the adverts and leave the content. I also use this to disable the mind-numbingly annoying advertising "hot links" - the crap that appears when you hover over selective words.

Edited by Yesideez

• 2 years later...

re security/privacy; adblock plus, better privacy, noscript plugins. pretty much all thats needed for the 'average' fox 'geek' :) . can enable scripts per site if needed re functionality of website.

saying that, IE 9 can disable active x (scripts) at a click (activex filtering) and then can be enabled per site. there is also the tracking protection which can be customized eg with an ad blocking list.

disabling scripts would prevent pretty much most website based viruses/exploits. but, disabling scripts may affect functionality of a site.

Edited by Ford

• 4 months later...
re security/privacy; adblock plus, better privacy, noscript plugins. pretty much all thats needed for the 'average' fox 'geek' :) . can enable scripts per site if needed re functionality of website.

saying that, IE 9 can disable active x (scripts) at a click (activex filtering) and then can be enabled per site. there is also the tracking protection which can be customized eg with an ad blocking list.

disabling scripts would prevent pretty much most website based viruses/exploits. but, disabling scripts may affect functionality of a site.

Re: firefox plugins

In the security department here are three that I think are worth a look.

1. HTTPS Everywhere, used in conjunction with HTTPS Finder. It's a bit hi-tech to explain, (especially for me) but adds an extra layer of protection on a lot of web sites.
  2. Key scrambler. It scrambles your keyboard input to protect against keyloggers which can steal your passwords card numbers etc. Also works in I.E.
  3. WOT (web of trust), This is a plugin that shows what users think of web sites, giving a green, yellow and red code. Click on the icon and get info on how safe/unsafe a site is. Taking two sites at random, say, CAG and ATOS UK. CAG comes up as green with an excellent reputation,while ATOS shows red with a poor reputation (read into that what you will!).

Once these plugins are installed there is little interaction needed, so browsing is not interrupted too much. Any feedback/advice on security for firefox will be much appreciated.

pitcher

Awop-Bop-A-Loo-Mop-Alop-Bam-Boom. ~ Little Richard.

hi

a decent antivirus should protect against keyloggers/corrupt ADS/rootkits.

i don't use WOT. just noscript. if going to an 'unknown' site with noscript then no chance of infection. maybe no need for wot. thing is though where a 'trusted'/known site say bbc for eg, and so have allowed scripts/relied on wot, is script infected, not much can do except then rely on antivirus.

don't know about the https you mention

Edited by Ford

Hi Ford,

Thanks for your response

I agree, any decent anti-virus should take care of keyloggers but as long as a plugin causes no interference with browsing speed and use, I'm always happy to use a belt and braces approach to security.

I did not mention noscript as It's praises had already been sung. I consider it an essential plugin for Firefox.

WOT can be useful if a subject is “googled “ because an indication of safety can obtained without having to enter a site, if one chooses to enter then noscript is an excellent defence. We all use the web with the fear that we can be “hacked”, [problem]med etc. so I feel any attempt to defeat the “bad guys” gives us a chance of a more open and free web.

Any other advice on security most welcome.

Regards pitcher

Edited by pitcher

i know its old school but i still use spybot.

avast antiv free is pretty good as well, saved me a few times. including on this site!

yes, noscript is a nobrainer.

i know its old school but i still use spybot.

avast antiv free is pretty good as well, saved me a few times. including on this site!

yes, noscript is a nobrainer.

Hi again Ford

Spybot YEA!

Used it for years and it's more than worth its salt. Anyone reading this might like to try Malwarebyts Anti-Malware free, like Spybot, it is an on demand scanner and according to tests it's hard to beat.

I'm glad you mentioned Avast!, I tried AVG free as its got a big rep. Had no end of trouble with updates and even problems uninstalling it. Like you, Avast! has done me well over a long period of time, saved me a few times as well. No problems with updates or anything. Well worth a try. I know the thread is about Firefox but any interaction about security can't be a bad thing.

Regards pitcher

also, spybot has the 'immunize' function which puts known 'bad' sites into a browser (like an adblock list) preventing such sites from loading if called. sort of a 'plugin'.

Edited by Ford

been trying wot on spare/test pc. not too bad. at least it could give a poss prior warning re a site.

fox also has built in phishing protection, which can be turned on/off in options.

noscript also blocks flash, but which can then be shown at a click if needed. (so no need for flashblock on top)

.... I tried AVG free as its got a big rep. Had no end of trouble with updates and even problems uninstalling it.

Regards pitcher

last time i tried avg it was a complete resource hog, slowed things down no end. imo, avast is the best free one to go for, but check the options re privacy stats, cloud etc. MSE is not too bad resource wise and re reactive detections. but re browsing/overall avast wins imo.

Edited by Ford

Hi

Yep, I'll go with Avast! But as I'm sure you've seen, the web rep browser addon is not up to much, It seems to work on the same principle as WOT but with much fewer users. I've disabled it.

Apart from the chance of a small install problem, I'd recommend spybot to anyone.

In Firefox options/security there's the tick box option to block attack sites and web forgeries. I'm not geek enough to know but it seems to have a similar role to the immunize function in spybot (tell me if I'm wrong) however two databases may better than one.

I'm glad you gave WOT a punt on a spare pc, I do think it can help one to make a decision before entering a site and risking infection!

Lastly, as you have a spare/test pc, I'd ask you to give HTTPS Everywhere a try, it comes from the same stable as noscript and is used in the tor browser bundle. Anyone who wants to improve their browsing safety may do a lot worse.

Safe browsing

pitcher

yes, i don't use their web addon either. and i disable the 'share' etc as well. i keep it bareish bones, if that makes sense.

yes, similar. spybot lists its known 'bad' sites (they can be seen in fox tools options), and firefox has the phishing site protection which is done via online and more to do with phishing. IE does have a similar function (smarscreen filter) as well though (just to be impartial :) ). re spybot also, i don't use the 'teatimer' as that can slow and poss cause conflicts. so i just use it for immunize, and on demand context scanning. also, useful re file shredder and start ups (but ms autoruns is best for start ups). i digress :)

Avira antiv is another free one to consider.

i'll have a look at https.

cheers.

Edited by Ford

• 2 weeks later...

had a quick look at https, seems ok. but doesn't encrypt connections to 3rd party sites, and is site specific re a common database. similar to that notification in ie which says some info is encrypted do you want continue re unencrypted. but, how would that protect against an infected flash, pdf, script, and tp sites for eg?

Edited by Ford