Are Safety Shoes classed as a taxable item?

sisgen10
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just a quick question. The company I work for have stated that the safety shoes that they supply to employees under health and safety regs are a taxable item. Can anyone confirm this? I have looked on the government web site but cannot find anything relating to this. I would have thought that they were not a taxable item as they were needed for work purposes but I stand to be corrected.:confused:

Hello sisgen10.

I just looked on the Citizens Advice Bureau website about Benefits in Kind, which is what I think safety shoes come under with HMRC. According to the CAB, safety clothing isn't a benefit in kind, but I hope someone else will comment.

You might try looking at Benefit in Kind regulations online.

Good luck

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for all your replys. I may have confused the issue a bit. I will try to clarify it. I am not self employed but work for a company who provide safety shoes to it's employees who need them for work under health and safety regs due to the nature of the working environment. However the employees are being told that the cost of the shoes will be treated as a "perk" if you like and that tax will have to be paid on the cost of them via paye. Presumably with the issue of a P11D form from the employer at the relevant time. Surely this is not correct? The cost implication is not really an issue, it is the principle that I am questioning.

Safety equipment, workware etc are not benefits in kind.

Your employer can deduct the cost of providing such things from the tax he would have to pay on profits.

Equally if you were required to provide your own, YOU would claim the cost back from HMRC if you fill in an annual return, or by application to HMRC if you don't

Edited by cynic09

normally if the employers wanted money back, they would give you £15 or so (as an example), then you could either buy cheap boots, or pay the extra to get nicer ones. As far as the tax goes on workboots, The company shouldn't pay tax in the first place. This is from experience when i used to sell Health and safety equipment. We would charge tax on harnesses, overalls, etc, but not safety shoes (as long as they cover the ankle). I'm sure people will disagree, but it's true

any ppe (i.e.-safety boots, hard hats etc.) that are compulsory to wear under health and safety or company h&s policy(i.e.- if you dont wear them you will be disciplined) must be provided by the employer free of charge if you are an employee, they cannot charge you for them in any way.

if you are self employed, you are in effect you own employer and you must provide them yourself.

A quick call (anonymously) to the health and safety exec for advice will remove any doubt.

In a similar vein. The company I work for supplies wellington boots free of charge but charge £4 if we want boots. Similraly, a lightweight bodywarmer is free but we have to pay extra if we want the heavier ones. Are they allowed to do this.

I suppose if they weren't allowed to charge extra then they would just stick to the standard items. So it's probably one of those occassions when it's best to say nothing.:D

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

• 8 years later...
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks