Fine for parking the wrong way

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I went to a wedding on Friday and had to park in Manchester City Centre close to the register office as I had a disabled passenger in my car. I found a space close by and it was down a one way street. There was one space available and so I parked there.

I tried to get the wheelchair out of the boot but didnt have enough room, so moved the car forward out of the 'box. A traffic warden passed and said I shouldn't really do that but as long as parked back in the 'box' after removing the wheelchair that he would turn a blind eye.

Anyway, so as to avoid any trouble after the wedding, I did a 3 point turn in the road and parked in the box again but the other way around so I could easily get back in the boot after the service.

Just before the service was about to start, hubby went back to the car to get someting for the groom. A policeman was there issuing a ticket ... for being parked but facing the wrong way on a one way street. My husband informed him of our disabled passenger and told him we drove in the correct way but turned the car around for easier access.

Anyway, he booked us and even though I was in the box and had a valid ticketI still have to pay the £30. I'm gutted, I didn't know you couldnt face the other way and it is the first time I have ever heard of it.

What do I do? ... Do I just have to pay it and learn or can I appeal?

Thanks

Cahoot - 2006

*** 08/06 - Sent Data Protection Act & £10 cheque *** 15/06 - Recieved info & cheque back ***23/06 - Sent letter to reclaim charges *** 07/07 - No response (after 14 days) *** 28/07 - Sent LBA ***

08/08 - Got response telling me to 'bog off' *** 31/08 - MCOL filed *** 03/10 - 50% offered and refused!

Monument - 2006

***31/08 - Sent DPA & £10 cheque

I went to a wedding on Friday and had to park in Manchester City Centre close to the register office as I had a disabled passenger in my car. I found a space close by and it was down a one way street. There was one space available and so I parked there.

I tried to get the wheelchair out of the boot but didnt have enough room, so moved the car forward out of the 'box. A traffic warden passed and said I shouldn't really do that but as long as parked back in the 'box' after removing the wheelchair that he would turn a blind eye.

Anyway, so as to avoid any trouble after the wedding, I did a 3 point turn in the road and parked in the box again but the other way around so I could easily get back in the boot after the service.

Just before the service was about to start, hubby went back to the car to get someting for the groom. A policeman was there issuing a ticket ... for being parked but facing the wrong way on a one way street. My husband informed him of our disabled passenger and told him we drove in the correct way but turned the car around for easier access.

Anyway, he booked us and even though I was in the box and had a valid ticketI still have to pay the £30. I'm gutted, I didn't know you couldnt face the other way and it is the first time I have ever heard of it.

What do I do? ... Do I just have to pay it and learn or can I appeal?

Thanks

The assumption of the policeman is that you drove the wrong way in a one way street. The Parking Attendant would not bother about this as a PA cannot book you for this.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Can a ticket be issued purely on assumption? Or is it an offence to simply face, as well as travel, the wrong way?

First Direct - Settled in full 01/07

Capital One - Settled in full 06/10/06

MINT - Settled In Full 30/08/06

HSBC - Settled in Full 15/12/06

Barclays - - Settled in Full 29/11/06

Morgan Stanley - Settled In Full 03/10/06

MBNA - Settled In Full 23/09

American Express - Settled in Full 30/11/06 via bailiffs

Can a ticket be issued purely on assumption? Or is it an offence to simply face, as well as travel, the wrong way?

The fact that your car was facing the wrong way is reasonable cause to infer that at some point you drove the wrong way. Even turning the car round would cause you to drive in the wrong direction in a one way street albeit only a very short distance.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I suppose I was in the wrong but I didn't think I would get a ticket as I've never heard of this rule before.

My passenger has offered to pay for the fine but as she is on disability benefits I will pay it.

Maybe one to look out for though guys ... never park the wrong way!!!!

Cahoot - 2006

*** 08/06 - Sent Data Protection Act & £10 cheque *** 15/06 - Recieved info & cheque back ***23/06 - Sent letter to reclaim charges *** 07/07 - No response (after 14 days) *** 28/07 - Sent LBA ***

08/08 - Got response telling me to 'bog off' *** 31/08 - MCOL filed *** 03/10 - 50% offered and refused!

Monument - 2006

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I suppose I was in the wrong but I didn't think I would get a ticket as I've never heard of this rule before.

My passenger has offered to pay for the fine but as she is on disability benefits I will pay it.

Maybe one to look out for though guys ... never park the wrong way!!!!

You could still have a word with the officer who issued the FPN and explain the reason the car was turned was so that a disabled person could get out and back in again. Its a long shot but I would imagine there must be one copper out there who has a heart. Although it would be a one in a million chance.

It's a offence to park your car facing the wrong way (at night) what time did this happen, does it state the offence on the ticket if so can you tell me what it is and I may be able to help you a little bit better.

Datxman v Lloyds TSB 2006 ** WON** 27/2/2006

With no conditions

Datxman v Capital One 2006

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent - July 2006

Non-compliance letter sent - 11/09/2006

enforcement letter sent - 11/09/2006

Statements finally received - 27/09/06

Prelim Letter - sent 28/09/06 - £540

Lowell has bought the debt and I have asked them to wipe it clean due to lack of funds

Datxman v Barclaycard 2006

Won no conditions

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Time is running out for the banks :)

I would contest this ticket, it doesn't make sense.

Whats the differance between parking the wrong way on a one way street and parking the wrong way on a normal road, i would still have to travel along the road in the wrong direction.

Hey,

Whats your local police force? Greater Manchester? If so, write to the Chief Constable of your force, ive written a little outline below.

Chief Constable *** ********,

Police Headquarters,

244 Bla Bla Street,

Greater Manchester.

MC234 1AB.

Dear Mr/Mrs ********

FPN Number: ************** Issued On:****************

I am writing to you, as the Chief Officer of the force in which the above FPN was issued to me.

I'm very concerned that the FPN was unfairly issued, I'll outline the circumstances below.

A friend and I were attending a wedding at the time the FPN was issued. My friend is Disabled and in a wheelchair, and if you require, we can provide medical evidence of his condition.

We tryed to remove the wheelchair from the back of the vehicle but we were unable to do so due to lack of room, so we moved the vehicle forward to make more room, a local Traffic Warden/Parking Attendent (delete either as applicable) spotted that we were slightly inside the bay to the front.

He told us that as along as we put the vehicle backwards afterwards then he would turn a blind eye, so we positioned the vehicle back and then realised we'd have trouble getting the wheelchair back inside in this position still.

So for ease and simplicity, we turned the vehicle around to make it easier to get the wheelchair in the back.

When we came back, a Police Officer was issuing us a FPN for parking the wrong way around in a one way street, which to be honest, I didnt even realise was an offence.

We explained the situation but the officer refused to accept our side.

We are very saddened by your the way your force makes no exclusions for driver with disabilities, not only does the disability cause my friend excess stress on its own, but the added FPN on top, for purely parking the wrong way round, has caused my friend high levels of stress.

He feels guility that I, as his friend, am having to pay a FPN for helping him with access to transport.

I understand your officers have a job to do and do not wish to obstruct them, but in this instance, I feel the Officer was over zealous with the FPN.

I gratefully request that you cancel the above FPN, as I'm sure that the needs of people with disablities takes paramount over the enforcement and issuing of FPN's.

I gratefully request a reply within 14 days.

Yours Faithfully

(signiture)

(PRINTED NAME)

You'll probally find that they cancel the FPN, if they dont, then get back here and update us ;) .

You'll find that the local paper might be interested in the story if the police dont cancel it :p .

Tom.

Before you take any legal action, please read through the

FAQ's, then if you dont understand something, please ask for advice ;) .

If theres a thread in which you think I could help, please PM me using the Private Messaging facility in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Advice & opinions of tom3131, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you ha

I'm with DW190 on this. For the car to be facing in the wrong direction on a one way street, you must at some point drove the wrong way down a one way street. As for having a word with the officer, as soon as he gets back to the station it will go in a tray, and he will never see it again.

Also on a parking related issue, you are only supposed to park facing the direction of traffic in the lane you are in. On a standard road you park on the left facing forward, If you park on the right hand side facing forward that is an offence. Not many police bother with it, but its a usual trick whilst patrolling the streets at night on foot.

Thanks Tom3131 ... will print & send letter tomorrow, I can only try!

Thanks everyone else for your opinions!

Cahoot - 2006

Monument - 2006

Thanks Tom3131 ... will print & send letter tomorrow, I can only try!

Thanks everyone else for your opinions!

No problem mate, just make sure you fill in all the address, CC's Name, FPN #'s etc.

And do a spell check too lol ;)

Before you take any legal action, please read through the

FAQ's, then if you dont understand something, please ask for advice ;) .

If theres a thread in which you think I could help, please PM me using the Private Messaging facility in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Advice & opinions of tom3131, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you ha

The offence code is TO41

Brief wording: Cont sign relating to traffic order.

Thanks

Cahoot - 2006

Monument - 2006

I would contest this ticket, it doesn't make sense.

Whats the differance between parking the wrong way on a one way street and parking the wrong way on a normal road, i would still have to travel along the road in the wrong direction.

You can't go the "wrong way" on a normal road. You can drive on the "wrong side" of the road, into the face of oncoming traffic, but if you park facing the wrong way on any kinda road you commit an offence because you are not displaying your red rear lights & reflectors to the oncoming traffic