• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

MandM v Mint

MandM
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

In response to my CCA request Mint have sent the following; They state in their covering letter that this is a 'true copy' of the credit agreement.

mikeapplicationformmint.jpg

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Also attached is acopy of their DN (issued after one part missed payment) and the TN.

Any thoughts?

mikedefaultmint.jpg

miketerminationmint.jpg

M

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

My immediate thought is regarding the Default Notice - unfortunately the scan of the "agreement" isn't very legible so it's hard to comment on that.

I think that for the DN to be valid it should state a date by which the remedy needs to take place, in your case it doesn't - it says "17 days". Even if the "17 days" bit is permissible it may still be defective as they may not have allowed you enough time to remedy the alleged breach. If I remember correctly the prescribed time is 14 days plus time for service. If it can be proven service was effected by first class post then the 17 days would be enough. If it wasn't by first class post (ie second class or TNT mail etc) then 4 days need to be allowed for servce. Did you keep the envelopes?

I'm sure some other more knowledgable and experienced Caggers will be along soon to give you some more advice :)

They agreement is exactly the same as mine, same year, been told it has all the prescibed terms but has not been executed as there is no creditors signiture.

DN I agree is defective as doesn't give a specific date by which to remedy the breach.

The termination letter is the same as mine too, although mine was much issued much earlier, so would appear they have learnt nothing about how to serve a default since 2007.

Have a look at my thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/223247-mint-unlawful-recission-not.html

pretty sure the agreement is enforceable, lack of their signature would technically mean they need a court order to enforce I believe. Their timing with the DN is daft beyond belief, not sure about the exact date thing, others will no doubt clarify that further. The DN needs to served (ie on your doormat) with 14 days for remedy. If they can prove it was sent 1st class on he 2nd then it would just scrape in, if they cannot prove 1st class then it is deemed 2nd by default (ah) and therefore is at least one day short. Also it is 16 and 18 days from the date of postage not the date of production.

The default notice appears to be in order - unless you can prove it wasn't sent by forst class post (as has already been pointed out).

The agreement image you have posted isn't very legible. Is the copy you received any better? In any case there is no creditor signature showing : would this have been on the back of this page? Something you will need to query.

It is interesting that that a percentage figure has been quoted as the minimum repayment that they will consider. I've not seen this before.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Re: the DN pre 2006, the time allowed for remedy was 7 days after service.

(being received in the normal course of post)

Thus, 17 days would have been sufficient.

does pre 2006 apply to the agreement or the DN, I thought it was the DN, since it is issued persuant to section 87(1), that been the section in force at the time of the default issue?

So a DN issued after the 2006 amendment has to give 14 days, regardless of when the agreement was signed surely?

I see there is "disagreement" about whether the use of X days rather than actually stating a specific date by which a breach has to be remedied. Can anyone please advise why they believe the use of X days is valid?

Have there been any cases where this has been tested?

Re: the DN pre 2006, the time allowed for remedy was 7 days after service.

(being received in the normal course of post)

Thus, 17 days would have been sufficient.

DN was earlier this year not pre 2006.

does pre 2006 apply to the agreement or the DN, I thought it was the DN, since it is issued persuant to section 87(1), that been the section in force at the time of the default issue?

So a DN issued after the 2006 amendment has to give 14 days, regardless of when the agreement was signed surely?

I thought the same

I see there is "disagreement" about whether the use of X days rather than actually stating a specific date by which a breach has to be remedied. Can anyone please advise why they believe the use of X days is valid?

Have there been any cases where this has been tested?

Would like to know this too.

M

Okay, just to clarify:

By section 88(2) of the Act [as amended by section 14(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 2006 as from 1st October 2006] that date must not be less than 14 days after the date of service of the Default Notice.

The 14 day period was also required by paragraph 3© of Schedule 2 of the Enforcement Regulations (as amended).

By section 7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 a posted document is deemed to have been served at the time when it would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

14 days means 14 "clear days"!

Note that, prior to 1st October 2006, the requirement was 7 "clear days".

My apologies for any confusion that may have been caused.

AC

p.s. Always keep your envelopes as proof;

many DN's are sent out by contract mail e.g. TNT or UK MAIL, which take 4-5 days to be delivered.

The ONLY way that DN can be correct then is if they can PROVE (balance of probability) that it was sent out first class.

So, mandm, bet you dont have the envelope?

Anyone else on here got proof of how mint issue dn's?

:evil: Don't have it.

So let's make them prove it :D

M

just a though, have you got the envelope the recent stuff came in? It would give an indication of how they post things out. UK Mail and TNT are common, both are deemed 2nd class as at best are a three day service

Contract Mail, more like 4-5 days and;

Royal Mail deliver for both.

Yes but the interpretations act only recognises 2 or, if not royal mail first class, 4 days and the UK Mail website claims to be 3.

I got a letter from the Turkey Farmer (s'hillisden) yesterday. The date on the letter was 6th November and TNT dont get postmarked so I sent them a fax about what I was sending to oft and oh have you found any paperwork yet!

The ONLY way that DN can be correct then is if they can PROVE (balance of probability) that it was sent out first class.

So, mandm, bet you dont have the envelope?

Anyone else on here got proof of how mint issue dn's?

So anyone with any others from Mint?

M

By section 7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 a posted document is deemed to have been served at the time when it would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

Contract Mail!

One also has to take into account saturday, Sunday and bank holidays...

"So anyone with any others from Mint?"

Look on the RBS forum!

Thanks AC. Will go for a peek.

Ta

M

"So anyone with any others from Mint?"

Look on the RBS forum!

Still looking but not found anything concrete to tell me that Mint send out their docs 2nd class. HOWEVER the CCA (posted above) we've worked out did come UK Mail (S) but it was a brown envelope with hand written address.

Going to send SAR to get some clarity on dates for DN etc and see what they've actually got after reading Alf's post http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/223247-mint-unlawful-recission-not.html

Cheers Alf, will be watching yours with interest.

M

Still looking but not found anything concrete to tell me that Mint send out their docs 2nd class. HOWEVER the CCA (posted above) we've worked out did come UK Mail (S) but it was a brown envelope with hand written address.

Going to send SAR to get some clarity on dates for DN etc and see what they've actually got after reading Alf's post http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/223247-mint-unlawful-recission-not.html

Cheers Alf, will be watching yours with interest.

M

and of course it would be for them to prove that it wasnt 2nd clas

and of course it would be for them to prove that it wasnt 2nd clas
Of course. will keep looking though and see if anyone else has tackled the point with them.

M

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter has a mint card that she deffaulted on last year I am going through all her stuff at the moment and came across this DN. Can someone tell me if this looks dodgy. They terminated the account 1 month later and it went through 2 dcas and green & co and then face 2 face have heard nothing since August 08.

shellmintDNletter.jpg

shellmintDN.jpg

without looking at a calendar

i would say the 14 days dates are incorrect.

it has to be 14 working days and some of those listed must obv be bank holidays.

so i'd say it is defective

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...