Anyone know how UK customs work as regard to overseas purchases.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I want to buy a laptop from the USA but have been told that I will be liable for excess duty at the UK customs (on top of the courier service). Can anyone confirm this or point me in the right direction.

I have been through HM customs website, but cannot find what I need.

Thanks all.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

When I have bought stuff from overseas before the options have been that the courier pays the duty and then you pay the courier or if it's parcelforce/royal mail they hold it to ransom until you pay the duty... unles of course it comes into the country as a gift......... :rolleyes:;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

parcelforce/royal mail they hold it to ransom until you pay the duty...

I've seen a thread about that on here somewhere - people weren't happy! Can't remember what it was called. Try searching Royal Mail.

I had a nikon camera delivered from the usa and had to pay the delivery company the duty.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

I have contacted the seller who has said that I am responsible for the duty this end. He wants $100 US for the courier as the item is quite heavy, but I am worried that our customs may keep it as ransom for a high price. You think you are getting a bargain by buying outside this rip-off country, but they just sting you anyway. The item in question is a laptop by the way.

The courier service is USPS Express International.

Also, he said that he gives my phone number to the courier so UK customs can contact me. That is not a problem, I just need to have a rough idea of how much extra our country is going to rape me for.

Edited by SOD'EM

Since when has a laptop been heavy ? Correct me if im wrong but I thought they where designed to be light or lightish.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Since when has a laptop been heavy ? Correct me if im wrong but I thought they where designed to be light or lightish.

PF

It's 18.4 inch screen PF, more of a desktop replacement really so one of the heaviest laptops around.:(

18.4 inch Blimey I did not know you could get them that big still i live and learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PF

you have to pay a customs charge. I cant give you the website link ATM as the site is down but it is on the HMRC website.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

You can get them for £600 from USA, but I have just found out that our Government are not happy with anyone getting a bargain in this country. They hate it, so therefore they will insist that I give them some money as well (for doing absolutely nothing). Inevitably, I may actually end up paying the same price as you would pay here in the first place.

I found this in a new dictionary (and another thread).

Countryside, (n), The act of killing a member of the British Parliament.

lol love it.

I know how u feel i want to import Yankee candles i cant get here and wont be coming here as well as the same accessories but they have said it will cost me to much.

Strangely there was a facebook thing the other day about this it was death by crayons moaning about it.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

rite she has said this

Apparently if the content value is over £36 then you're liable for import tax. Well, my boots were in dollars which equated to £36.03. I'm so angry!!

Also P+P dont count.

Is the cost of the laptop £600? Duty can be quite complicated to calculate. Off the top of my head I think the rate for laptops is 3.7% - so Duty would be £22.20, plus VAT which would be £93.33, plus handling fee which if Royal Mail or Parcelforce will be £8 but if it ends up with a different courier then it could be significantly higher.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

'Just' the VAT on Laptops, commodity code is 8471 3000 00. Believe Parcel force are USPS partners for the UK so it'll be an 8 squid customs clearance fee on top.

Posted before I saw this - I'll take your word for that as I haven't looked it up. So on a £600 laptop you'll be looking at £90 VAT + handling fee.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks guys for your advice. If I am looking at another £100 then I may have to postpone until after Xmas. Funny enough, I farted in Heathrow airport a couple of weeks ago, and that cost me £12 plus vat. I can't stand this country (but I know there are worse places on earth).

The other thing is, if you order in USA you are entitled to claim up to $200 cash back by going to the site through Bing.com search engine. Can you get that deal here? Can you s**te.!!!!:mad:

• 7 years later...

thread is 8yrs old!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...