I don't know how to sort out my RBS problem!

santos
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody.

This is my first post, as I was hoping I could sort out the mess that is my account with RBS but I can't :oops: so please bear with me! I just wondered if anyone here might be able to offer some good advice on what to do next as I don't know what to do...

I've been unemployed for over a year and am not in receipt of benefits. My overdraft with RBS has gone unpaid during this time, not because I want to get away without settling my debt, just because I've been ill, had no spare money and living arrangements have been haphazard to say the least. I have written to RBS to ask if they could freeze interest charges until I return to work but they have turned down my requests twice.

I've had phone calls from them demanding immediate settlement of the amount (which in the grand scheme of things isn't huge - £1768.41) and letters threatening me with legal action but I'm simply not in a position financially where I can repay them.

I've just had a letter from them to say that they are terminating the overdraft agreement and are demanding I pay back the full amount no later than close of business on 25th November 2009 otherwise they plan to (in their words):-

a) commence legal action; and/or

b) instruct Debt Collection Agents, who may visit your home to recover the sums due; and/or

c) exercise any rights that we have by set off or lien or any security that we hold. (I'm unsure of what 'set off' or 'lien' means)

and that I will be liable for any costs of any legal action.

I've not had to deal with anything like this before and I need advice fast! :eek:

By the way, I'm living in England and I'm over 18, but don't own property if that's any help...

Any advice anyone could give me on how to proceed with this would be extremely gratefully appreciated. My local CAB only opens for a couple of hours a week and the next time they are open is 9am-12 noon on Thursday 26th November which is after RBS's deadline so I can't ask them for advice on this one!

Many many thanks in advance,

Lee

You need to immediately start the process of reclaiming your charges. If you still have access to internet banking then get online asap and you can print out the details today before they close the account. If the charges are higher than the amount owed you are in a strong position since if they were to sue you could counterclaim for the charges.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Many thanks, yourbank!

I have internet access but have never done banking online. I'm going to see if it's not too late to register this weekend and get some details printed off at the local library on Monday.

Meanwhile, of the £1768.41 outstanding, £1150.00 of it is the original overdraft amount, the rest is charges, so I'll have to see what I can do. Never done anything like this before and it's all new to me, it seems pretty daunting but I can't let stuff like this get the better of me!

All the best -

Lee

AAAAAGH!

I've applied for online banking with RBS, but I can't log in and check anything because they need to send me an 'Activation Code' by post, which if my statements are anything to go by should take about a week...

RBS are demanding full repayment by close of business this Wednesday (the 25th of November)...

I feel totally lost as to what to do next :? :eek: honestly any advice would be a major help and so gratefully appreciated... Any ideas anyone??

Many thanks and best wishes-

Lee