Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Feb 2006

Default Here we go again, Plus theft!

Hi there,
    I'll keep it short & sweet
    Opened BOS Student A/C in 2004 and also had a Cardcash A/C & halifaxicon credit card with them. I received a cheque from somebody for 3.49 which I handed to the teller in my branch and she entered it into the computer in my Student A/C & I went about my business.
    A few days later I had some extra cash in the account & thought I'd pay a council tax bill and get some shopping etc.
    Turns out the teller entered 349.00 as the cheque amount by mistake & that they wanted the cash back! Needless to say, I'd spent the money thinking it was mine! DOH! A few weeks later I received my housing benefit as I suffer from dodgy kidneys and WHOOSH!!!... almost all my rent money gone. They took the cash out of the Student A /C (without my consent, knowlege etc) to compensate for the now unauthorised OD on the account as they took the money out. I've since been told by BOS that's called 'Off-Setting'. To me, that's called 'no rent = homeless'.
    I've had the usual threatening letters & have now decided to fight back like yourselves. I have since found out that they can't take this money, but this info has only come from a friend of mine (who works at a rival bank). I've read on the forum about the 'Equitable estoppelicon' principle. Surely this could also apply to me with regards to the cheque. I changed my position as a result of an error by the bank so they must stand the loss? As well as trying to receive a refund on the charges interest etc I also would like to try to clain this money back.
    So I called the BOS telebanking last night to be put on to a manager as soon as I montioned the words Data Protection Act. I'm waiting on a response to my complaint of almost making me homeless & stealing my rent money, which I've been told will be within 48hrs & the statements of all my accounts & a Halifax credit card due to be landing in my hallway within 40 days. No charge for the Statements was menotioned so they won't get it unless they ask nicely :P
    I'll keep you posted, and I have to say a HUGGGEEEEE thank-you to everyone who uses this fantastic website & all the people involved who provide and maintain this site, so giving us a wee bit more citizen knowlege!
    As soon as the student loan comes in, I'll bung some your way... Actually, that's providing it isn't eaten up by all the charges .....
    Sazz