incapacity help

manc girl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5301 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hiya everyone, i have just made a claim for I.B i have a long term disabilty i have C.O.P.D (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) so im limited as to what i can do ive had this for 2 years now but only found out recently by a disabilty advisor to claim I.B. im not sure how this works, what rate i will be getting, would i have to go for an assessment straight away, any help would be most grateful, thanks.

Yes, you would need an assessment. Usually, your appointment should be made within (I think) 8 weeks of your claim.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

It's done by a private company called ATOS, at their nearest office to you. It wouldn't be at the Jobcentre, as there aren't medically qualified staff there.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

ok thanks for that again its much appreciated, one more thing tho, when i go for this assessment and they say im fit for work and i no myself im not and i go back to my doctors for another sick note how will that affect me with the ESA, my illness means i can be ok one day then the next day i could have breathing problems, im limited to what i can do, physical work is out of the question, i use to be a cleaner but i cnt do that anymore because of the chemicals they use, i cnt lift heavy stuff, even the air conditioning in most places affect me, walkin is my main problem, i walk at snail pace, thanks again

If they say that they think you are fit for work, you have the right to appeal to an independent tribunal. You will be paid ESA at the basic (assessment) rate while your appeal is heard. You would need to supply sick notes during this process.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to make one point here. The poster is claiming ESA, not IB. If she were to appeal against a failure at the medical, she wouldn't be paid at a "reduced" rate. She would get the same amount she was receiving prior to the exam.

ESA rates increase for those who pass the medical, so she would simply not receive that increase. Of course, if she failed and appealed successfully, the payments of the extra amount would be backdated to the original date of the medical.

Basically, ESA claimants who fail the medical (often called the "WCA" by staff) don't lose money if they appeal, unlike IB claimants.