• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Comet LCD TV Nightmare :(

johnym
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3853 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I just wanted to know if anyone could help me with my comet nightmare

My 11 Month old Samsung LCD TV developed two faults. As the Television is still under warrantee I contacted Comet and they arranged an Engineer visit. The engineer arrived and diagnosed a screen fault, meaning it needed to be replaced. The other fault wasn’t looked into but I did remind him of it. Another visit was booked for a week later to replace the screen, a day before the visit date I was contacted at 2pm informing me that the part hadn’t come in and they’d contact me when it was. A day wasted, too late to cancel the day off I booked. The same day the engineer was supposed to replace the screen (the next day) I was contacted by the repair centre telling me that the part had come in and another visit was arranged for the 6th Oct.

Engineer came and replaced the screen but on turning the TV on the new replacement screen was worse than the original, same fault with an added problem, the screen was physically damaged/Faulty with what looked like a crease running diagonally across the screen. Engineer spotted this and asked me to try and live with it but if it bugged me call them back. Reminded him again of the other fault and he said that another part would have to be ordered, don’t know why they couldn’t have ordered it the same time as the screen so they could be fitted together. Another day wasted, TV in a worse state now than it was before it was repaired. Another appointment booked for the following Tuesday to replace another board.

Being slightly miffed I phoned comet this afternoon and was told as the repair hadn’t fixed the problem they would leave a message at the repair centre and try and get me a replacement TV.

About an Hour later the local repair centre contacted me telling me that they’d had a word with the engineer and as the fault was repairable they would order another new screen and a replacement board to fix the second problem. I asked if there was any way I could exchange the TV and was told absolutely no, they’ll keep on repairing it. I then asked her to cancel the appointment for next week as I couldn’t get time off work. Later on I found out that instead of doing this she closed the Job/Repair for both faults and cancelled the Parts order.

I then got in touch with someone from complaints at head office, the person was absolutely no help what so ever, he said that they can and will repair it as many times as they like regardless.

Then I spoke to someone at the Comet Warrantee Office and was told that if a product is repairable but is written off they would get in trouble with there insurance company as everything is audited. I eventually got through to someone who sorted the cancelled Job number and created a new one. Now I’ve been told that I’ll get a call if and when the parts come in.

So far I’ve wasted 3 days unpaid holiday and the TV is still un-usable.

The cost for the replacement screen was £289 times that by 2 and that comes to £578 and the TV only cost £410 lol and that cost doesn’t include the replacement board.

Do I have to keep accepting repairs like this? I fell like I’ve been fobbed off and passed from pillar to post with this. Any help would be appreciated Many Thanks!

After 11 months - yes it is acceptable, under SOGA, for them to repair.

poor customer service regarding timescales etc, but that doesnt change the fact that they are entitled to repair as opposed to replace.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Yeah I can understand this, I would have been happy with a repair if the repair actually repaired the problem or problems in my case and not make them worse lol. Comet after sales are truly shocking going by what I’ve experienced today, once minute I’m being told its being replaced and the next they’re saying they’ve got more parts on order.

hi johnym this thread had some problems with Comet and there tv hopefully you may gain some info from the postings on here how far he got with the company and where is is up to to date.... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/comet/210390-plasma-tv-advice-please.html

Hope you get it sorted once & for all soon

CAG NEEDS FUNDS PLEASE DONATE AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE WHERE POSSIBLE

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/paypal.php?go=donate

Thanks mydogsawestie, I’ve had a good shufty through the previous posts in this section, seems I’m not the only one experiencing problems Comet. Had a word with consumer direct this morning and they told me to fire off a complaints letter to head office, which I did this afternoon both to the store I bought it from and head office. I’ll see what happens and post back.

Just a quick update, when I came in yesterday I had 3 answer phone messages from two different people from comet, one person being the woman from the repair centre who had previously closed my job. In one of her two messages she said she would call me back at half 4 which she did surprisingly.

She was a totally different person this week, she bent over backwards to try and get me an appointment ASAP that fit my schedule as I’m visiting a hospital 3 or 4 times per day. She even had a word with her operations manager to make sure my appointment was before 1pm on Thursday. I thought nothing of this until this morning when Comet’s managing directors office phoned regarding the letter I sent them. The woman I spoke to told me that she’d been in contact with the repair centre the day before investigating why id been given the run around, lol that’s why the repair centre woman was so helpful yesterday. She then went on to apologise and said if the repair tomorrow didn’t work they would review the situation.

It’s amazing what a recorded letter can do lol but it’s also shocking that you have to take your complaints all the way to the top before you get any decent customer service. Hopefully everything will be sorted tomorrow.

Just another update, Comet engineer came and replaced the screen for the second time and another part last Thursday. All was fine and dandy until the TV started switching itself off over the weekend. It had done this a couple of times since the screen was replaced the first time and I did inform comet about it and reminded the engineer when he fitted the second screen but it neither seemed interested.

I phoned up today to see of they could sort it out and was told that now I’ll be charged for repairs and engineer visits! All because the sets now 6 days out of warrantee!

I reminded the girl on the phone that the fault had been logged before the warrantee expired which she agreed it was but she still insisted on a £35 callout fee as only the parts that comet replaced are guaranteed for an extra three months. Even though I was told on two occasions the whole set would be covered. Anyway fuming I got back onto consumer direct who then refereed me onto Trading standards who are supposed to be phoning me within a couple of days. Can’t believe it lol its cost them over £600 in repairs so far and the TV still doesn’t work! :x

what a joke!!!! glad you stood firm by reminding them when the fault DID occur & not your fault they have still not fixed the it....glad to hear its cost THEM so far ....good luck with trad stds, all your advice you give on here will be a help to others, perhaps even email bbc watchdog, who knows they may be collating stuff against comet at the moment eh for a forthcoming programme!!!! :D

CAG NEEDS FUNDS PLEASE DONATE AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE WHERE POSSIBLE

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/paypal.php?go=donate

lol its defiantly a joke, equivalent Samsung TV that looks exactly the same as my faulty set is for sale on Comets website for £349, baffles me why they would want to waste over double that on failed repairs.

Anyhoo i’m expecting a courtesy from the woman at head office, she phoned last week to see if I was happy with the repair but it was only the day after it was fixed and I hadn’t really checked it/used it so she said she would phone me back on the 22nd. I’ll let her know what’s happened, but there’s no way I’m accepting another repair on it and I don’t really want it replaced, all I want is my money back.:mad:

lol im glad i bought our main TV from Currys :D

lol I’m not really after lost earnings just a working TV or preferably my money back which sadly I don’t think will happen. Might hit the woman from head office with the lost earning bit and see what she says lol

Just an Update, Trading Standards have got involved and asked me to email copies of the repair sheets and the receipts. After telling the woman the story over the phone and all my reluctance the have anymore repairs done she then told me that I really should accept one more repair :eek: and after that they should look at replacing the set but legally they don’t have too. But there’s a twist apparently even if Comet decide to replace the television they should only replace it with a second hand TV of equivalent specification and not a new one because if they replaced it with a new one I would be left in a better position than I legally should be, or something like that. Hmmm it was a very confusing conversation. I think 2 attempted repairs over 5 weeks, 3 engineer visits, 4 wasted days, £680 in repairs and a TV with more faults now than it had originally is enough! :mad:

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I’d give a final update, I never really got anywhere with Comet or Trading Standards. Trading Standards turned out to be about as useful as a glass eye in the fog lol which surprised me.

TS insisted on me accepting another repair and then Comet turned round and told me they wanted paid for the engineer visit as I refused there offer of a free good will gesture visit previously lol. After that I just lost interest, replaced the TV myself and ditched the faulty Samsung which in the end completely died on me, not even a standby light. Some praise though for the call centre staff at Comet, i.e. the people you initially get through to when you dial there 0800 number they’ve all be friendly and helpful it’s a pity the same cant be said about the people they put you through to further up the chain of command. Every supervisor or person I’ve spoken to at head office (apart from the woman from the MD’s office) have been very rude and extremely unhelpful. Never again will I buy anything from Comet!

• 1 month later...
After 11 months - yes it is acceptable, under SOGA, for them to repair.

poor customer service regarding timescales etc, but that doesnt change the fact that they are entitled to repair as opposed to replace.

The seller must (a)repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer.

Would have thought that this would have been the best route for you take :!:

• 4 weeks later...

my samsung lcd tv keeps turning off by itself too! it freezes once off, the red led flashes and then the tv seems to turn itself back on again after a few seconds! has done it since i bought it - from comet - 2 years ago. it only does it like once a month so i never bothered to get it dealt with whilst it was in warranty.

its well out of warranty now but since cash is tight i can make do until i have enough to get me a nice new one! As for customer service, i think comet and currys are just as bad but at least if you buy from either of their websites i think you have a cooling off period where you can return for full refund (only applies online?). i know thats of no use to you, but at least you're not alone with the turning off thing.

Smile, you never know who's watching...

Well my Samsung only stated switching itself off after the first failed repair. I’m thinking maybe it wasn’t put back together properly or something was damaged during the repairs. Either way I can’t prove anything now as the TV ended up in a skip after it cost Comet nearly £700 in parts and labour lol.

You should get in touch with Comet and get them to repair your Samsung. As you’ve probably read countless times on this forum 12 months warrantee means nothing, you’re covered for upto six years by the sale of goods act (or something like that) Give Consumer Direct a ring and they’ll point you in the right direction.

As for Comet customer service being the same as Currys/Dixons, I’ve never had any problems with Currys. Web purchases have a 7 day cooling off period I think which has come in handy in the past for me lol.

• 1 year later...

Well now my tv that cost a fortune has developed a fault and I am now dealing with comet too....Have to say they are talking pap with the wrong girl. Hell have no fury like this woman without her reality tv to watch.

GRRRRRRRRRRR. worst customer services ever! They going to regret messing with me......watch this space.

Well now my tv that cost a fortune has developed a fault and I am now dealing with comet too....Have to say they are talking pap with the wrong girl. Hell have no fury like this woman without her reality tv to watch.

GRRRRRRRRRRR. worst customer services ever! They going to regret messing with me......watch this space.

Why don't you start your own thread, then we can watch the fireworks?

• 2 years later...

Just to conclude ...so in the end....Comet and all who sailed in her can still suck eggs - I went to the company who made the TV and they replaced it and apologised for the bad service from Comet who got what they deserve in the end.....no customers. The End:-)