ESA Permitted Work Income Calculation

mrboxer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am receiving ESA and am looking for permitted work of under 16 hours a week. Hoping you can answer the following as I have searched for hours with no luck:

• Can I average out what I earn?

eg. If I work term time only at a school - 30 weeks a year and my wage is £100 per week - this is more than the £92 allowed but I will not work in the holidays.

• Based on the above if a person earns more than £92 a week does ESA stop completely?Or will it be taken into account that I do not earn for 22 weeks a year. Thank you

I would think that would have to go to an SDM a decision maker that deals with slightly more complicated cases.

Have you phoned ESA and put this to them and asked for some advice. I know if you were on IS then this would nil your claim.

Earnings are averaged over five weeks if you are paid weekly and three if paid monthly, so if you earnings were averaged in term time then your claim would close for Income Support and in school holidays it would rremain open at the begining and close when you retrun to work when term time starts, but give ESA a ring as things may be different, I know there is a limit of £92.00 as you have stated

Are you going to be self employed or working for an employer??

If self employed they may look at any costs you may occur.

Thanks for your quick reply - I will hope to be employed not self employed .- I am not on income support but contribution based ESA.

If I am working for an employer am I right in thinking that I can't look at costs for travel expenses.

I was hoping that earnings could be averaged over the year. Interesting to note for monthly paid people wages are averaged - is it 3 months or 3 weeks? Please advise.

I would appreciate if you would let me know the source of reference for the 3 months averaging, then I can be one step ahead when I contact ESA. Very pleased with the forum - very good advice thanks.

Hi,

I had read you were on ESA but

I think similar rules may apply to averaging earnings whilst on ESA as they would if you were on IS.

Earnings are averaged over three months for IS if paid monthly

Check this out I think you could probably get your earnings averaged over a longer period if you stated how yours earnings would fluctuate over the year,

http://resources.socialfirms.co.uk/files/1.1%20Permitted%20Work%20ESA%20Nov%2008%20SFUK%20docx.pdf

Its a bit dated because as from April 2010 permitted work earnings are not taken into account for HB purposes

good luck

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE