• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Disputed Debt 'stayed' at court is then sold to DCA .. who want details of the court case from me

WormHasTurned
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2590 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bumping thread too! I hope someone will be along who can answer your question

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing you may want to do is contact the court to ensure the egg case is still stayed and hasn't been struck out/discontinued.

It may be in your best interests to leave the egg case stayed - egg shouldn't be able to do anything as they no longer own the account, whilst CL Finance may have a hard time going to court if the egg case is still with the courts.

If egg won't communicate with CL Finance, then I don't think CL Finance can get the egg case dismissed as they weren't a party to the original court case, they may not be able to just change the names on the court form either as you need to receive notice of assignment prior to court proceedings (though who knows if that applies to accounts sold during court proceedings).

I'm also not sure but I think if the original case is struck out/discontinued they need permission from the court to restart proceedings? (if egg weren't willing to provide docs than CL Finance are not likely to be able).

If Cohen have absolute assignment then they should have all the details and all paperwork for the account. I hope someone will back me on this but my feeling is to tell them in a polite way to sort it out themselves.

Dont let the parasite dca's prosper

batman, you'red backed! This is not your responsibility, Worm, and you shouldn't be expected to do their dirty work for them. In any case, if they don't have all the paperwork from Egg to get the stayed court case resolved, it's unlikely you'll have anything to worry about.

I disagree with you on one point, though, batman - I wouldn't be so polite about it...:D

To err is human: to completely mess up is my peculiar gift.

I agree with you avatari! LOL Worm does not need to be very polite about it!:D:D:D

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Just inform them that you will cross reference any court case with the original stayed case - that should shut them up. Again that is all you need to state.

The onus, as always is on THEM to keep documentation, after all they are the prosecutors/persecutors not yourself and as a lay person you do not need to know how long you should keep detailed records for.

Really these 'solicitors for rent' need to be taken to task and shut down.

Thank you everyone - I will phone the Court and double check that the case is still stayed - (it was last time I asked over a year ago, and I have heard nothing since).

I think (unless anyone here feels it is a bad idea) I will also send CL Finance a CCA request, and see what they come back with. (There was no CCA with the info Egg sent me over 2 years ago in response to my SAR, and their previous DCA (DLC) was unable to supply it in response to a CCA request, again over 2 years ago, and of course they never got back to the court with one.

What do you think the likelihood is of Egg either

- selling on the debt without a CCA

or

- belatedly having a CCA but instead of going back to court - selling it on to a DCA but omitting to mention the ongoing court case?

I would be inclined not to write to CL why give them the heads up on why the case didnt proceed before and give them the chance to rectify it. One important thing to remember though if you do write to them DO NOT sign anything. It is not unknown for a DCA to copy and paste a signature onto an agreement to make it look genuine.

Dont let the parasite dca's prosper

Not sure what benefit CCAing CL would bring you? Let them do all the chasing. By all means though phone the court for an update.

What do you think the likelihood is of Egg either

- selling on the debt without a CCA

or

- belatedly having a CCA but instead of going back to court - selling it on to a DCA but omitting to mention the ongoing court case?

- Extremely high to selling on without CCA, loads of companies do this!

- They probably don't have a CCA. But if they have miraculously found it, then the likelihood of selling depends on a) if they consider it enforceable, b) whether they have already written the debt off against tax, c) simply how organised their systems are. There are loads of variables.

Bottom line is, if this is still stayed, heed advice given by somoene_else/batman above and let them do their own leg work. Anything else is just helping them. I get the feeling this won't be going anywhere, it's just a fishing trip. It'll end for definite with SoL kicking in.

To err is human: to completely mess up is my peculiar gift.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Well, wouldn't you just know it -

.. another letter just received about this from another DCA regarding Egg.

Let me see - it's just over 6 years since my last post.

"We have been notified of recent activity on your credit file, which suggests that you are now making positive steps to resolve your financial situation. Your account with us does however remain unpaid. We want to help you to get this resolved and we would like you to pay this account at an affordable amount" ..... etc

So what should be my best course of action?

Statute barred?

Ignore?

Account in Dispute?

or something else?

Thank you kind people of CAG.

Careful with the statute barred comment.

If a case is involved in legal action the clock stops ticking as far as I am aware. I would assume the clock does not tick when it is "Stayed"

I would ignore the letter entirely. Its a begging letter. "We know we cannot enforce but please give us some money"

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• 9 months later...

FINALLY THE RESULT!! -

Several months after sending the statute barred letter, and with many holding replies .."please note we have not yet received a response from the original creditor.."

Today they write "We acknowledge your recent communication and write to inform you that the account to which you were referring is now closed on our files" Amount due £0.00. They also gave me "for future reference" their client details.

Their client is at the same address ;)

(before you ask - Robinson Way and HPH LTD)

Let's hope this is the final result for this thread.